Help me with G-major purchase, Thank you!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dongh1217

Reaction score
Hey everyone:

I just need your opinions on my current situation, after some saving, now I could afford a G-major.

one thing that G-major attract me is its amp channel switching funiction on it, I really wish that I can control the effect presets together with the amp channel.:)

My amp is Solo 50, and I don't have any effects except a Wah and Hush at the moment.

I don't gig at all, I'm not a good player, and I will mainly use G-major's delay and reverb just for soloing or clean sound.

Should I buy it or I just need to buy two Boss Stombox?:)
(The cost of two BOSS stombox=70%cost of G-major in my town) Sh#@t, money feels hot in the pocket, but I wish to spend it in the right place.

any comments welcome and please consieder the Solo50's parallel fx loop(As it might not sounds good with some stombox). Thank you all very much for great help!:D

The G-Major is optimized for a serial effects loop, but its newest software patch (1.27) has an option called "Kill Dry" which helps it when using parallel loops.

I use a G-Major with my Nomad, which has a parallel loop, but I don't use the Kill Dry. I tried it, and I actually prefered the sound in normal mode. But I also set my Nomad's loop to 100% wet, which really makes it serial anyway.

I have a G-Major and the quality of the effects is very high. The essential difference is that the G-Major allows you to save 200 presets, while stompboxes are easier to fiddle with on the fly because the specific knobs are always there waiting to be tweaked.

To modify settings for an effect on the G-Major you have to be comfortable going through menu options on a small display and there is no software editor for it so that you would be able to hook up the G-Major to your puter and edit the settings.

The good thing about the G-Major is being able to quickly recall a preset once you have a settings just how you want it.

Also, Boss just released a rack mount version of their effects as well that has about every one of their stompboxes in it.

I own the gmajor and gforce. I like the gmajor,but mine was a freebee. I only use it for channel switching. I like the gforce effects much better. IMHO, if I had the money for the Gmajor,and money was tight, and I had no other quality effects pedals, i would buy quality pedals. If you are gonna gig at all, you're gonna need to add on the price of a midi foot controler to control your gmajor (and possibly an expression pedal) or else you gotta flip the dials on the gmajor. Also with midi, you gotta know a little about it, or face a little learning curve. The main question would be: what effects do I plan to use/like, and do I like those effects in the gmajor versus somthing else, because that's what you're really paying for.

Latest posts

Back