Noisy Boss NS-2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r33per

Reaction score
Hopefully the fine members of this board can help me with a Boss NS-2 that is adding 50-60Hz hum into my signal when it is housed on the shelf in my rack...

So, I've pretty much finished getting some rack gear together (Triaxis/2:90, Gmaj2) and want to run in some pedals via a RJM MEG. When my Boss NS-2 is in the signal chain, it sounds fine - on or off. However, when it is physically close to the Voodoo Lab PP2+ or near the 2:90 or Triaxis, the level of ground hum increases dramatically. I've tried with other pedals (no problems), battery power vs. PP2+ mains (same issue), different patch cables (same issue) and also - for testing - running the signal directly from the guitar to NS-2 into the Triaxis (same issue). I should also say that if I disconnect the NS-2 from the MEG and just run the signal through the MEG, there is no added hum.

The only time the NS-2 does not introduce massive amounts of ground hum into the signal is if it is physically located away from other components. Even when running on battery and between the guitar and triaxis, if I lift the pedal off the floor and move it close to the rack, big hum...

Anyone else had this issue?!?

I have definitely had issues with noise near the power supplies in various amps and preamps. I suspect the NS-2 is picking up 60Hz interference from the power transformers. Since the NS-2 is handling instrument-level signals, it doesn't take much. You will need to keep is as far away from the power lines/transformers as you can.

It's possible that your NS-2 has a grounding problem such that the case is not shielding properly, or it may just not reject EMI well. Also, make sure that the MEG is grounded. My RJM rack switcher has a floating chassis that can be grounded by using the pass-through input.

Thanks, Elvis (<~never, ever thought I'd type that... :eek: )

Is there some way to improve the case sheiling and/or EMI rejection? The MEG is also powered from the VL PP2+ which should be isolated ground. Now, I'm completely green and n00b-tastic when it comes to grounding issues etc., so please correct me if I'm missing something or looking at the wrong thing...

Genuinely appreciate the response, matey.

Unfortunately the MEG is grounded via the cables to the Triaxis and GMajor. You could try messing with the ground lift on that and the 2:90, but I doubt that is the cause.

The reason I am thinking electromagnetic interference rather than ground loop is that running the NS-2 on a battery doesn't help, and moving it farther away does help.

You may get better results moving the NS-2 to the end of the rack that is away from the power transformers in the other equipment (assuming you are lucky enough that everything that runs off AC Line has the tansfromer at the same end...).

If you move the NS-2 around in the rack, you may find an area with less interference.

You could also open up the NS-2 and make sure that there is a ground wire connected to the case. Usually it's installed around one of the case screws, pretty easy to find. It may be loose or missing.

Hi there, I have a pretty similar setup, I was getting noise when I first set mine up. I was running the NS-2 in a loop on the VL GCX but I couldn't get rid of the noise, then I ended up putting guitar into the in on the GCX, then from the out to the NS-2, then spit to GCX and Mesa DR, from GCX to Mesa TA, to TC GMajor2, to Mesa 2:90, to 1/2 Mesa Straight and Mesa slant cabs. In a rack you have to make sure all your gear is totally isolated, no continuity after fitting each piece to your rack. I use the gate in the GMajor 2 as well and have no noise at all. Here is a link to my rig, you can see how close it is to my VL PP2+. Hope this helps.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65946&start=45#p480092

Thanks for the reply, MesaMad! I posted my rig the other day (http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65946&start=45#p485100) and, as you can see, decided to abandon the pedal drawer.

Although I know that it really ought to be before the Triaxis input, I've been using the Noise Gate on the TC Gmaj2 - that sits between the Tri output and 2:90 input. I don't use it much - really just for getting rid of some undertones when I'm playing a high-gain type rhythm with silence for a beat or two inbetween notes. It's never on for the cleans and leads.

Thanks for the info :)

Back