Page 1 of 1

Help Selecting Cable using the G-System

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:12 am
by Gizzorge
Hello Everyone.

I just bought a G-System and I am totally confused on what types of cables I should safely be using to hook up the 4 cable method, and to run switching into a midi control (Nobles MS4 with 1/4)

Can I use the 8 channel TRS-TRS cable Laird recommends, are do I need to use mono cables for everything (I have George Ls)?

I have two amps I would like to use (not at the same time)

09 Mark V
08 Triple Rec 3 Chan

Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Help Selecting Cable using the G-System

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:02 pm
by Red Barchetta
This will tell you absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know about configuring and setting up your G System in 4 Cable. You need to follow Laird's instructions exactly, and use exactly the components and type cables he suggests. I set mine up with my MK V in 2009 and it's worked perfectly ever since. Clean and HUM FREE!


Re: Help Selecting Cable using the G-System

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm
by elvis


You can SAFELY use any cable you like. You may get more noise, though, depending on how you run the cables.

For best noise performance:

Use TRS cables for the Insert loop Send and Return.

I have found in my experience that the "humbuster" (TRS-TS) style cable works very well with the pseudo-balanced connections in the GS (Insert Send and Insert Return). For any connections that are NOT pseudo-balanced, a TS cable is appropriate, as is a single-ended to differential to single-ended converter.

When using TRS-TS cables, the TRS side goes to the GS.

You can make a TRS-TS connection also using an Ebtech HE-2. Put the HE-2 on your amp, use very short TS-TS cables between the amp and HE-2, and TRS from HE-2 to GS Insert loop.

If you have a TRS snake like me, you can either use an HE-2 to convert to TS at the amp as above, or you can make (or have made) a female TRS-male TS with "humbuster" connections (as I have done) that works well and is a bit more convenient.