The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:12 am 
Mark III

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 157
Hello Everyone.

I just bought a G-System and I am totally confused on what types of cables I should safely be using to hook up the 4 cable method, and to run switching into a midi control (Nobles MS4 with 1/4)

Can I use the 8 channel TRS-TRS cable Laird recommends, are do I need to use mono cables for everything (I have George Ls)?

I have two amps I would like to use (not at the same time)

09 Mark V
08 Triple Rec 3 Chan

Thank you so much in advance.


PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:02 pm 
Donating Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:54 pm
Posts: 575
Location: New Orleans Area
This will tell you absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know about configuring and setting up your G System in 4 Cable. You need to follow Laird's instructions exactly, and use exactly the components and type cables he suggests. I set mine up with my MK V in 2009 and it's worked perfectly ever since. Clean and HUM FREE!


TC Electronics G-System into Mk V Combo. Guitars include: 06 PRS McCarty w/Quilt top, 91 Les Paul Standard, 71 Gibson SG, 04 Yamaha SA-2200, 89 Strat with Lindy Fralins, 09 Parts-O-Caster, 65 Gibson Melody Maker, 09 Taylor Custom GS Venetian cutaway

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm 
Donating Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:30 pm
Posts: 2546
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA


You can SAFELY use any cable you like. You may get more noise, though, depending on how you run the cables.

For best noise performance:

Use TRS cables for the Insert loop Send and Return.

I have found in my experience that the "humbuster" (TRS-TS) style cable works very well with the pseudo-balanced connections in the GS (Insert Send and Insert Return). For any connections that are NOT pseudo-balanced, a TS cable is appropriate, as is a single-ended to differential to single-ended converter.

When using TRS-TS cables, the TRS side goes to the GS.

You can make a TRS-TS connection also using an Ebtech HE-2. Put the HE-2 on your amp, use very short TS-TS cables between the amp and HE-2, and TRS from HE-2 to GS Insert loop.

If you have a TRS snake like me, you can either use an HE-2 to convert to TS at the amp as above, or you can make (or have made) a female TRS-male TS with "humbuster" connections (as I have done) that works well and is a bit more convenient.

Mini Rectifier blue LED
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical
Recto 2x12 Wedge

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group