TERRIBLE hum from the effects loop and sub par tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alucardtes

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to eliminate the hum that I get from the effects loop? Noise suppression pedals don't work for me btw. Also my distortion isn't as "good" as some people I hear demonstrating the head online. Early 2000's Triple Rectifier btw.

Ground loops. Power the pedals from batteries or get an isolated power supply for them (like Voodoo Labs Pedal Power). Even then, you may need an isolation transformer or two.

You may need a buffer as well. The FX send output impedance on many tube amps is quite high, so you get a signal loss and tone loss going into a low-impedance pedal or rack unit. Put a good buffer between FX Send and the first effect in the loop and this can help.

Alucardtes said:
Any suggestions on how to eliminate the hum that I get from the effects loop? Noise suppression pedals don't work for me btw. Also my distortion isn't as "good" as some people I hear demonstrating the head online. Early 2000's Triple Rectifier btw.

Can you explain your rig?

Are you powering pedals in front of the amp and in the loop with the same power supply? I get a ground loop hum from a One Spot if I use it in both places. An isolated power supply is the answer, or use batteries for one location or the other, if this applies. The pedals that normally go into the front are better on batteries, since distortion, overdrive, or compression require less current to operate.

afu said:
Alucardtes said:

Can you explain your rig?

Are you powering pedals in front of the amp and in the loop with the same power supply? I get a ground loop hum from a One Spot if I use it in both places. An isolated power supply is the answer, or use batteries for one location or the other, if this applies. The pedals that normally go into the front are better on batteries, since distortion, overdrive, or compression require less current to operate.
Carry it one step further.......don't power your amp and your fx loop pedals from the same power strip.....seperate strips and seperate power supplies. I got an above average power strip from Tripp Lite where each half of it is isolated from the other half, and I plug the amps in one side and the pedals in the other side. and my hum problems went away.

But yeah, Alu asked the right question.....what's your rig like? How do you know it's coming from the fx loop and pedals?

The other thing is that and early 2000s Triple has a parallel loop. I always had problems with my Dual, so I modded to the loop to serial. Since I use a processor in the loop, I changed the way I use the FX Send to get a tone that's very similar to the loop in bypass.

Alucardtes said:
Also my distortion isn't as "good" as some people I hear demonstrating the head online. Early 2000's Triple Rectifier btw.

What guitar, pickups, cab and speakers are you using?

What amp setting are you using?

How loud can you turn it up? Rectos can sound good at low-ish volumes, but they don't start doing the Recto "thing" until you start going above about 10:30 on the volume knob.

Back