Tone Burst, Grid Slammer, Flux Drive or Throttle Box?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pratamaputra

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this Boogie Board and I was hoping that I can get some opinions and enlightment regarding my issue. :)

I came across these four pedals as mentioned in the title, and have searched numerous reviews and explanations but can't seem to pinpoint the answer. :(

Currently I am satisfied with my tone when it comes to rhythm (crunch or heavy) but still haven't found what I;m looking for in terms for lead sound.

My music varies from Satch, Vai, Dream Theater, Def Leppard to Megadeth and Lamb Of God. :mrgreen:

What do you guys think one or two pedals I should choose between Tone Burst, Grid Slammer, Flux Drive and Throttle Box?

I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea that you have a V:25 and you can't find a decent lead tone. :?

Anyway, here's the Cliff's Notes version Mesa pedal rundown:

Tone Burst - a "boost" with some tone shaping; not much added gain; just kind of polishes what your amp is giving.

Grid Slammer - a Tube Screamer variant; low to mid gain; great as a boost with the level up/gain backed off; great as a mid-level OD on top of a clean or slightly crunchy amp setting; slight mid hump; nice pedal; I have one.

Flux Drive - it's the "unofficial" Mark series amp-in-a-box; more gain on tap than the Grid Slammer; I've played one; also a nice pedal.

Throttle Box - huge gain; great for metal; like a Dual Rec on steroids; probably not a good choice for a boost pedal.

KiwiJoe said:
I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea that you have a V:25 and you can't find a decent lead tone. :?

Anyway, here's the Cliff's Notes version Mesa pedal rundown:

Tone Burst - a "boost" with some tone shaping; not much added gain; just kind of polishes what your amp is giving.

Grid Slammer - a Tube Screamer variant; low to mid gain; great as a boost with the level up/gain backed off; great as a mid-level OD on top of a clean or slightly crunchy amp setting; slight mid hump; nice pedal; I have one.

Flux Drive - it's the "unofficial" Mark series amp-in-a-box; more gain on tap than the Grid Slammer; I've played one; also a nice pedal.

Throttle Box - huge gain; great for metal; like a Dual Rec on steroids; probably not a good choice for a boost pedal.

Thanks man!

anyways, the V:25 I just got like a few weeks, but I know that I needed a little icing on top for lead and sometimes rhythm sounds.

I kind of get what you're asking. I would go one of two ways:

1. Use ch2 as a lead tone. Use a good overdrive (Carl Martin Plexi or other) in the clean channel as a heavy rhythm. I'm not a fan of this, both because you'll be on the rhythm sound much more that the lead sound, and also because you got tubes, use 'em.

2. Keep your ch2 as heavy rhythm, but add a gain box to build a more vocal lead tone with it. I do this with a BB Pre. It doesn't have a mid-peak like the OD808, and the Bass and Treble controls help me get a very nice vocal quality from it. I use just a touch of extra gain to get more liquid sustain and easy feedback.

My guess is that the Tone Burst, Flux Drive or Flux Five would get you there.

Bought a Grid Slammer to go with my triple rec rig. IT IS AWESOME! Tightens everything up in just the right away. I have had to re-EQ all my channels but thats fine with me..... mainly i just peeled back the presence and treble and rolled off the gain some. It dirtied my clean channel more than i wanted but i have dialed that channel in with just a slight tinge of break up in the tone. Sounds good!

Latest posts

Back