Maxon OD808 vs TS808

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc_carlini

Reaction score
Thoughts? I've read about this a bit, and from what I have gathered, most people actually prefer the Maxon, though most of the pros seem to use the TS. Maxon is cheaper though, which is a huge plus for a college student...

I think production made TS's are overpriced... 200€ for a TS808 are you fucking kidding??

I'd rather look into a clone from a builder. That way you can customize it to your liking. I have a friend who dabbles in pedal making and he's build around 10 of them so far, all for different customers with different wishes (asymmetric/symmetric switches, low boosts, high gain mods, you name it), all of them sound great and the folks that ordered them are all more than satisfied.

VFE builds some great stuff for about the same price as the od808. (if you're buying new that is)
I've been using their Focus pedal to boost the rectifiers lately because they stay a bit more aggressive and raw than the 808 for clean-boosting.
It allows for control over the high and low roll-offs so you can tailor the filtering to whatever guitar/amp/cab you're working with.
They basically take out the clipping stage (for those of us who want our gain from the amp) and replace it with more pure output and control over the edges.

I did a lot of research into this some time ago. Ultimately went with the Maxon but had it modded by Analog Man. I highly recommend that if you are willing to pay a bit more for it. Very versatile.

Back