The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:16 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I recently purchased a Mesa Express 5;50 plus and now have no need for any of my "dirt" pedals. I'm wondering for those who had similar experience , which pedals did you keep?
I'm thinking just delay/chorus type, otherwise the Mesa covers everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:24 am 
Mark I

Depends on music you play. I use maxxon 808 with mine for fluid solos.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:56 pm 
Mark III

For the most part I'm an all-amp player myself. I have a Mesa Grid Slammer I use on top of the clean channel; gives me that "third channel" option that's somewhere between the OD channel and the clean channel, either of which I'm using more often than when I use the pedal. So, yeah, for the most part, I have no need for OD pedals, yet I understand that others do for their own purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:08 pm 
Mark III

Depends on your situation. In a "originals" band I played yeah I had my clean and dirt channel and that is all I needed. In a cover band covering different styles 2 sounds might not cut it. This is where dirt pedals will help you cover more ground.

Musicman Axis
PRS SE Singlecut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:49 pm 
Single Recto

I had the same experience when I first "discovered" Mesa amps. But after a while I learned that there is still a small percentage, maybe 10-15 percent, of sounds/tones that I hear in my head that I can't dial in on any of the amps I've owned.....and there are a few pedals that move me closer to those elusive 10% tones. So rather than do without those sounds, I did eventually go back to an OD of some sort.

What I really noticed is that having a good amp almost eliminates OD pedal GAS. I've settled on 2 or 3 that I wouldn't mind owning, but I am quite content to only own one of them at a time, and I feel little or no need to switch any time soon.

Still love me a touch of Voodoo Lab Giggity, which is supposedly more of a preamp pedal than an OD, but it's great for a quick extra bite or crunch. Still love the CmatMods stuff, especially the Butah. Love the Analogman TS9DX, and oddly the Allums modded OD3 or ODB3 is quite useful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:07 am 
Bottle Rocket

New Express 5:25 owner here. I've removed my Jan Ray clone from my pedal board, compressor might go next. I kept my Klon Klone as it does amazing things on the blues channel. Nice to consider I may have only 3 pedals (klone, chorus (for Scofield stuff) and delay) now since the Express has such amazing tonal options.