Effects processors

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastforded

Reaction score
So I was looking at some fx processors... Wondered about using them with the Mesa mark series...

First question would be is it used before the preamp or in the loop?

I was trying to get some different tones from my amp and rather than buying different pedals I was considering a processor...

I use an old ART now in my FX loop but there's no distortion in this processor... As I'm trying to get a different distortion and fuzz I wondered where to put a FX processor...

Is this a case where I really need 2 processors... One for the distortion/fuzz before my Mesa and another in the loop for the flanger, chorus, delay, etc?

2nd question would be any recommendations on gear as far as the fx processor goes?
Thanks, any input or experience appreciated!

There are many options. You will likely have best results if your gain is before the preamp and your time-based effects are after. Clean amps will work either way, but distortion and time effects don't get along.

Pedals in front and pedals in loop - most flexible
Pedals in front + FX loop processor - better loop FX quality
May be automated with a system like GCX/GCP or many other looper controllers

Front-end processor + FX loop processor - can be automated with a controller
Dual processor box like HD500, G System or others - automated by design

I've gone all these routes, and there is no perfect solution. I really like automation, though. No tap-dancing.

Recommendations: I use a GCX/GCP with my Dyne to control a bunch of pedals. I wanted the best, most pristine tone and hit it awfully well. The automation works very well. Monster rack-based system, not very portable unless you have help.

I use a G System with my MR and RV25, and this is what I gig with. It's self-contained on a board with a few outboard effects. I love the way it is configured. It is a pain to set up, but there is LOTS of help for this system online. There are 4 additional loops in the front-end controller for adding drive pedals and other stuff.

With both systems I use an OD808, BB Pre and EVH Phase 90 in front, as well as comp, boost, etc.

My favorite pedals, in addition to the ones listed above are Eventide Time Factor, EVH Flanger, TC Spark Booster, TC Ditto.

I am also playing with an HD500, but so far I am underwhelmed. Still too early to make the call, though.

elvis said:
There are many options. You will likely have best results if your gain is before the preamp and your time-based effects are after. Clean amps will work either way, but distortion and time effects don't get along.

Pedals in front and pedals in loop - most flexible
Pedals in front + FX loop processor - better loop FX quality
May be automated with a system like GCX/GCP or many other looper controllers

Front-end processor + FX loop processor - can be automated with a controller
Dual processor box like HD500, G System or others - automated by design

I've gone all these routes, and there is no perfect solution. I really like automation, though. No tap-dancing.

Recommendations: I use a GCX/GCP with my Dyne to control a bunch of pedals. I wanted the best, most pristine tone and hit it awfully well. The automation works very well. Monster rack-based system, not very portable unless you have help.

I use a G System with my MR and RV25, and this is what I gig with. It's self-contained on a board with a few outboard effects. I love the way it is configured. It is a pain to set up, but there is LOTS of help for this system online. There are 4 additional loops in the front-end controller for adding drive pedals and other stuff.

With both systems I use an OD808, BB Pre and EVH Phase 90 in front, as well as comp, boost, etc.

My favorite pedals, in addition to the ones listed above are Eventide Time Factor, EVH Flanger, TC Spark Booster, TC Ditto.

I am also playing with an HD500, but so far I am underwhelmed. Still too early to make the call, though.

I was looking at the HD500 but all the reviews I read pushed me into thinking that would be a bad choice of effects processors... Underwhelmed makes me think those reviews are spot on...

Then I started looking into something like guitar rig or amplitude... (This option opens up the DAW world and gets me on the road to recording)

Then those reviews lead me to think something like the Axe FX2 is the way to go...although that route is the pricey way but I have often learned good and cheap seldom ever go hand in hand...

Latest posts

Back