3 New Pedals From Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That. Is. AWESOME!

I was considering building one. Now I can buy it! Turn every non-EQ Mesa into an EQ Mesa? Sweet! Now I will have a "RV25+".

I wonder if they're as noisy as a lot of EQ's are known for.
I'd love to be able to replace my TS9 with one of those.
I wonder if the Flux Five can be used as a clean boost and if it's comparable or better than the TS9. :?:

MichaelC4 said:
Dino. said:
Authorized Boogie says they are the same 5 band EQs that they put in their amps.

Thanks but I'm not sure that answers my question.
The same EQ used as an outboard effect could make a difference.

I'm very interested in picking up one of the straight eq's, but want to run one in my gear before I plunk down the coin.

Dom you mentioned modding my amp in the other thread. can you elaborate to me which method I should do this? PM if possible to not jack the thread.

Dino. said:
MichaelC4 said:
Dino. said:
Authorized Boogie says they are the same 5 band EQs that they put in their amps.

Thanks but I'm not sure that answers my question.
The same EQ used as an outboard effect could make a difference.
If you get the stand-alone EQ and run it in the loop (apparently the DRs are parallel which a lot of people modify to series) that would place the EQ in the same spot in the signal path (after the preamp) as where the built-in EQs are on Mesa amps that have them. So, theoretically, same EQ, same spot, should be no more or less noisy. I run a Fromel Shape in the (series) loop on my Mini Rec and, unless I crank everything (meaning "never") the thing is whisper quiet, suitable for recording.

Besides, I thought you were going for the balls-to-the-wall, always-on option - the Throttle Box :lol: . If you're reconsidering a clean boost type pedal, I still recommend the Tone Burst or the Grid Slammer as the Flux and the Throttle will probably have too much gain on tap even at the lowest gain setting.

Pedal came in today!

ADC25F72-B4F6-436F-A338-06F2640AF0D0_zpsbqsfechh.jpg

Dom

It's a great FX Loop EQ. I am very impressed how well it sits in the Roadsters loop. I dialed up a quick mid boost, set the i/o for unity and rocked. It gave the amp a great throaty mid bite without neutering the bottom end. I left it on all the time, last in the FX Loop chain. The freq centers of the EQ really gets the job done and seems to fit the amp well.

I think I'm leaving it in the rig.

The pedal is built like a tank, but it's huge. Too bad they couldn't have made it 20% smaller (& cheaper).

Dom

Just got mine today. Dead quiet. I have a Dual Rec (three channel/multi-watt) and it's like another amp now. Any remaining fizz you can dial out with the EQ. I set it up in a frown shape (mids boost, slight high end cut) and it kicks butt. Channels 2&3 are much more smoother now and focused but still have good bite. Tomorrow I'll try it in front of the amp and see how well it does as a boost.
domct203 said:
It's a great FX Loop EQ. I am very impressed how well it sits in the Roadsters loop. I dialed up a quick mid boost, set the i/o for unity and rocked. It gave the amp a great throaty mid bite without neutering the bottom end. I left it on all the time, last in the FX Loop chain. The freq centers of the EQ really gets the job done and seems to fit the amp well.

I think I'm leaving it in the rig.

The pedal is built like a tank, but it's huge. Too bad they couldn't have made it 20% smaller (& cheaper).

Dom

KiwiJoe said:
Besides, I thought you were going for the balls-to-the-wall, always-on option - the Throttle Box :lol: .

Yes, I'm going for "balls to the wall", "always on" but I don't understand the Throttle Box reference. I don't want a "distortion pedal" or a pedal used on a clean channel. I want a pedal that will ultimately REPLACE my TS9 and offer the EQ flexibilty.

KiwiJoe said:
If you're reconsidering a clean boost type pedal, I still recommend the Tone Burst or the Grid Slammer as the Flux and the Throttle will probably have too much gain on tap even at the lowest gain setting.

Again, you reference "gain setting" but my gain setting is ZERO. :?:
I'm playing through a Dual Rectifier on channel 2 / modern and use the TS9 to push the gain from the amp, not as a distortion pedal. If it helps, my settings on the TS9 are - Level=max / Gain= zero / Tone= 12:00. I have asked this question before and have received numerous contradicting answers from members of this board as well as the people at Mesa. I have no Mesa distributors in my area and YouTube videos show all of the new Mesa pedals used on clean channels so that's no help either. I really don't want to spend $300 on a pedal that I can't use so I guess I'll just keep the TS9. Thanks for your help.

Dino. said:
Again, you reference "gain setting" but my gain setting is ZERO. :?:
I'm playing through a Dual Rectifier on channel 2 / modern and use the TS9 to push the gain from the amp, not as a distortion pedal. If it helps, my settings on the TS9 are - Level=max / Gain= zero / Tone= 12:00. I have asked this question before and have received numerous contradicting answers from members of this board as well as the people at Mesa. I have no Mesa distributors in my area and YouTube videos show all of the new Mesa pedals used on clean channels so that's no help either. I really don't want to spend $300 on a pedal that I can't use so I guess I'll just keep the TS9. Thanks for your help.
Yeah, dude, I get it. Lots of people use "distortion" pedals, Tubescreamers in particular, to push their preamps. What I'm saying is that even with the gain setting on the pedal backed-off all the way, that does not mean "zero" gain; just the least amount of what's available. And what I'm also saying is that with the gain backed-off all the way on the Throttle Box or the Flux Drive, there is still going to be more gain at that "all the way off" setting than would be with the Grid Slammer's gain setting "all the way off". And the Grid Slammer is basically Mesa's take on the TS. So, if you're happy with the TS, there's probably nothing about the Grid Slammer or any other pedal that's going to make you any happier. Namaste :)

Back