hooking up Eleven Rack to Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsearles

Reaction score
I am new to amps with effects loop and new to the Avid Eleven Rack and I would like use an Avid Eleven Rack with my Express 5:25 effects loop. The 5:25 owner manual says, The Mesa user manuals says,
on page 38,
"To use the EFFECTS LOOP;
1) Connect the SEND jack to your processor’s Input
2) Connect the RETURN jack to your processor’s Output
3) Adjust the processor’s Input/Output Level attenuator to achieve unity gain while plugging the RETURN cable in and out making fine adjustments at the processor until you here no level difference."

and the 11R user Manual says on page 40,
"Because Eleven Rack simulates various preamps
and tone circuits, you may want to bypass
your amp’s preamp and tone circuitry
by plugging into the amplifier’s effects return
jack(s), if available, rather than the
standard input(s). ..."

I do not want to damage either the 5:25 or the 11 Rack so I am hesitant to just start experimenting.

So my question is, if the 11R Output to Amp goes into the Mesa Effects loop return, what do I connect the Mesa amp "Effects Loop Send" to? I presume that to bypass the 5:25 pre-amp I would plug the guitar into the 11 Rack? Is so, o I need to plug anything into the guitar input of the 5:25

Assuming I got the 11R hooked up correctly, does anyone know what feature of the 11R would I use to 'Adjust the processor’s Input/Output Level attenuator to achieve unity gain'?

Thanks

The answer is that for a Mesa Express you can simply plug either of the 11R Out to Amp outputs into the effects loops return of the amp and plug the guitar into the 11R. There is no need to plug anything into the Express effects send or front of amp input. This bypasses the pre-amp in the Mesa. I would suggest that you may want try the different setting for which signal is sent to the amp by going into 11R User Settings, hold Edit/back for a second or two then select Output to Amp and choose one of the settings , see pages 39, 40 of 11R user manual. You can also "Move" to a different place in the Rig.

I have done the same thing with my Road King II and a Line 6 POD XT Live. Took a minute to realize that I could not control the volume from the front panel of the amp and almost got blasted out of the room. Make sure that the volume is down on the 11R before plugging in. Also, you will want to bypass the cab sims.

Latest posts

Back