Strymon with Mesa Boogie Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chomii

Reaction score
What do you think about Strymon Mobius, Strymon BigSky and Eventide Timefactor in FX loop of the Mesa Boogie Roadster head. Will they in anyway compromise the tone? Do i run them in parallel with RJM Mini Line Mixer or just straight serial?

I actually run mine up front and think they sound great... issue I have had with the roadster fx loop is that channels 3/4 do not sound near as good using that circuit vs bypassed. Have you tried both ways?

Atm i cannot try anything because i have fault power tube and i am waiting new ones to come. Anyone else had problem with Roadster fx loop sucking the tone? I am in big problem because i cannot decide which path to go. One rack processor in fx loop for all effects or separate pedals? Problem is that i cannot try what sounds better because i dont have retails here i can only order online? Main thing is how to preserve Mesa tone?

When I first got me Roadster I was under the impression "Hard Bypassing the Loop" meant I couldn't channel switch using the Foot-controller. Once I was set straight, I tried my Roadster with the FX loop bypassed. (First, let me say the Roadster sounds better than a lot of amps with the FX loop engaged.) With the FX loop bypassed, my life changed. Mesa builds a lot of great amps and we all have our opinions about them but a Hard Wire Bypassed Roadster on Channels 1, 2 are truly beautiful and Channels 3 and 4 rattle your soul a little bit. :shock:

As for FX, I run an Eventide PitchFactor and TimeFactor in the loop and everything sounds great!

I can't speak for the roadster, but I run a strymon blue sky, el cap & orbit through the effects loop of my Royal Atlantic head and there is zero tone coloration. Strymon pedals are all true bypass and top notch! The TC ditto is also running through my effects loop (it's also true bypass). Not sure if this helps you, but I figured I'd chime in since I have some strymon pedals...

My board:

013_zpscdb250f0.jpg

You should be with any tone sucking...I have tried TC and Strymon in my Tremoverbs with zero tone suck...but I have other problems if you wish to discuss...lol.

I have two Tremoverbs and run a Mobius, Timeline and Big Sky thru my FX Loop in stereo.

My question is how to do this right. I would not say I have tone suck, but one day while tuning the guitar with the guitar volume pot off, I could hear the Mobius chorus oscillating...no biggy until I pressed the button to disengage it and the volume level increased.

So that leads me to believe I am not setting something right, or is it possible I am gain staging somehow.

I just want these pedals to be in the loop and work when I ask them to and not do funky things...it may be that I did this with out knowing.

I use the boost levels in the Timeline and Big Sky to level out each preset, by either increasing boost or decreasing boost.

But the Mobius is the first one in the chain so for it to be bypassed and have an increase in volume, really kinda freaks me out.

I will say that for that preset, I was not using the Mobius, so what I do to take it out of the mix, is to eliminate the speed and width of a chorus and I think I also eliminate the mix level...does not sound right does it.

So if you guys could help me out on the basics for how to set up these three pedals to work together I would really appreciate it.

Another thing...my delays in my gain channel kinda suck...no real definition.

Do you think I should mod the loop for "Series", as the factory default is "Parallel".

Thanks.

Back