The Boogie Board
http://forum.grailtone.com/

Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64864
Page 1 of 3

Author:  TimeSignature [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

Im not looking for any crazy warbly sea sick type stuff. Just a regular chorus pedal. I have an MXR Micro chorus, but there is a volume drop when the pedal is engaged. I have an MXR Analog chorus but its a little to subtle, the nice thing about it is that it has a level so no volume drop which is a plus. Ive owned Boss chorus pedals and they really didn't do anything for me. The TC Corona sounds way too digital, especially in combination with overdrive/ distortion. I had a Home Brew THC and although it sounded good, there was slight distortion when playing clean through a guitar w/ humbuckers. Single coils sounded great.

Im just curious what you guys are using. Im looking for something that takes a regular Boss 9v negative center pin adapter. The smaller the footprint the better but Im open to anything really.

I typically only use chorus (even though its very rare that I use it at all) on clean channels.

Anybody with experience with a Wampler Nirvana? That's a possibility from the vid clips Ive seen.

I looked into a Sea Machine but it doesn't have a level control.
Strymon sounded too digital.

Recommendations? Wampler? RedWitch? DLS? Tortuga?

Author:  Heritage Softail [ Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

I have a few Wampler pedals and they are all 'reasonable' in the effect level. They can be subtle if wanted. I have not seen the pedal you speak of. I like effects that are not over the top. The Hardwire Stereo Chorus is quite flexible and has a variety of modern and older chorus flavors. I like it since it can be used in a subtle level with a wet dry rig. The cheap springy warbly sound is available if you twist the knobs for it, but thankfully a very slight warm jazz chorus is also. It can play well into a cranked Mark series or with a Tele into a Dr Z.

Guitar Center sells them so a buy and try was my easy option.

Author:  Jackie [ Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

The only thing I can think of that you haven't mentioned yet is the EHX Small Stone. I haven't personally tried it but going from clips it sounds like a decent chorus. The Electric Mistress might also interest you, but that's a choralflange with a very specific sound so YMMV.

Oh, and +1 on the HardWire chorus recommendation. The HardWire series are great sounding pedals.

Author:  r_cod_81 [ Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

Jackie wrote:
EHX Small Stone


I think you mean 'Small Clone', the 'Stone' is a phaser. I have a Small Clone and I really like it. I use it in the loop of my Studio Preamp and it sounds ace on both channels. A bit much on the lead channel possibly for some but as an incidental effect it definitely has its place, a few folk have commented on it when I use it like that.

Author:  toneseeker911 [ Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

I'm using the analogman chorus pedal. Beautiful rich sound when run through the mark v.

Author:  screamingdaisy [ Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

If you're not digging a Boss chorus then the next step is an EHX Small Clone.

It's what Cobain actually used, so chances are the Wampler "Nirvana" is a clone of it. The AnalogMan chorus is also based on the Small Clone. Probably best to experiment with the cheap version before buying an expensive copy.

Author:  ned [ Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

See if you can find an old Arion SCH-1 Chorus.

Author:  Vigo1999 [ Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

Ibanez SC10, they were made by Maxxon (at least the first runs).

woinderfull chorus, can go from subtle to Atlantic Ocean chorus. no volume drop (although they can add a little bright tone to the sound).

they can be found for 30-50 bucks at the bay . . . cost peanuts and you'll be suprised.


that or the CS505 made by Maxxon. mxr type footprint. no volume drop also and wonderfull tone (somewhat warmer than the sc10).

actually i think their circuit boards are really alike.

Author:  FLYING V 83 [ Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

Boss-sized footprint: Jacques Meistersinger
Boss "and 1/2" size: Strymon Ola (but it needs it's own p/s)

Author:  TimeSignature [ Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

Heritage Softail wrote:
I have a few Wampler pedals and they are all 'reasonable' in the effect level. They can be subtle if wanted. I have not seen the pedal you speak of. I like effects that are not over the top. The Hardwire Stereo Chorus is quite flexible and has a variety of modern and older chorus flavors. I like it since it can be used in a subtle level with a wet dry rig. The cheap springy warbly sound is available if you twist the knobs for it, but thankfully a very slight warm jazz chorus is also. It can play well into a cranked Mark series or with a Tele into a Dr Z.

Guitar Center sells them so a buy and try was my easy option.



Thanks for all the advice! Its hard to come by some of the pedals everyone mentioned but I was able to trade for a Hardwire Stereo Chorus today and I think my search is over. This chorus can pretty much do it all. No volume boost or drop when engaged. Able to add as much or as little as you want into the mix. Works well with overdrive. Fantastic little pedal. Nice selection of different chorus modes. And made in the USA? That's what it says on the pedal. I'm pretty sure they are discontinued now.

Author:  jdurso [ Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

Carl Martin Chorus XII... pricey but the most natural chorus I've ever played outside a Roland JC120

Author:  soundchaser59 [ Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

TimeSignature wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! Its hard to come by some of the pedals everyone mentioned but I was able to trade for a Hardwire Stereo Chorus today and I think my search is over. This chorus can pretty much do it all. No volume boost or drop when engaged. Able to add as much or as little as you want into the mix. Works well with overdrive. Fantastic little pedal. Nice selection of different chorus modes. And made in the USA? That's what it says on the pedal. I'm pretty sure they are discontinued now.
Don't know about discontinued.....? But I was going to recommend this one. I have one also, sold one, tried several others, came back to the Hardwire. It is very versatile, and sounds good at volumes, won't get spiked into fizzy by the fx loop signal level, and I think it runs internally at 18 or 24 volts, I forget which, etc. I run mine after the delay and reverb.

Author:  TimeSignature [ Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

soundchaser59 wrote:
TimeSignature wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! Its hard to come by some of the pedals everyone mentioned but I was able to trade for a Hardwire Stereo Chorus today and I think my search is over. This chorus can pretty much do it all. No volume boost or drop when engaged. Able to add as much or as little as you want into the mix. Works well with overdrive. Fantastic little pedal. Nice selection of different chorus modes. And made in the USA? That's what it says on the pedal. I'm pretty sure they are discontinued now.
Don't know about discontinued.....? But I was going to recommend this one. I have one also, sold one, tried several others, came back to the Hardwire. It is very versatile, and sounds good at volumes, won't get spiked into fizzy by the fx loop signal level, and I think it runs internally at 18 or 24 volts, I forget which, etc. I run mine after the delay and reverb.


Yeah I don't know about discontinued either. I saw GC blowing them out, they usually do that when products are or are going to be discontinued (among other reasons.) So scratch that. My bad. Bottom line is that it is a pretty impressive pedal.

Author:  skydizzle [ Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

I've used several different chorus pedals, but I LOVE my 1982 MIJ Boss CE-2.

Author:  Given To Fly [ Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

Eventide TimeFactor! Someone made an incredible Chorus preset with or without delay for the TimeFactor which means i have yet another pedal to sell. The Factor pedals are absolutley incrediable in their ability and potential. I have another preset that emulates the Z.Vex Seek Wah. :shock: :shock: :shock: The Factor pedals aren't perfect, but they are close enough! :D

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/