Im looking for a chorus pedal. Any recommendations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeSignature

Reaction score
Im not looking for any crazy warbly sea sick type stuff. Just a regular chorus pedal. I have an MXR Micro chorus, but there is a volume drop when the pedal is engaged. I have an MXR Analog chorus but its a little to subtle, the nice thing about it is that it has a level so no volume drop which is a plus. Ive owned Boss chorus pedals and they really didn't do anything for me. The TC Corona sounds way too digital, especially in combination with overdrive/ distortion. I had a Home Brew THC and although it sounded good, there was slight distortion when playing clean through a guitar w/ humbuckers. Single coils sounded great.

Im just curious what you guys are using. Im looking for something that takes a regular Boss 9v negative center pin adapter. The smaller the footprint the better but Im open to anything really.

I typically only use chorus (even though its very rare that I use it at all) on clean channels.

Anybody with experience with a Wampler Nirvana? That's a possibility from the vid clips Ive seen.

I looked into a Sea Machine but it doesn't have a level control.
Strymon sounded too digital.

Recommendations? Wampler? RedWitch? DLS? Tortuga?

I have a few Wampler pedals and they are all 'reasonable' in the effect level. They can be subtle if wanted. I have not seen the pedal you speak of. I like effects that are not over the top. The Hardwire Stereo Chorus is quite flexible and has a variety of modern and older chorus flavors. I like it since it can be used in a subtle level with a wet dry rig. The cheap springy warbly sound is available if you twist the knobs for it, but thankfully a very slight warm jazz chorus is also. It can play well into a cranked Mark series or with a Tele into a Dr Z.

Guitar Center sells them so a buy and try was my easy option.

The only thing I can think of that you haven't mentioned yet is the EHX Small Stone. I haven't personally tried it but going from clips it sounds like a decent chorus. The Electric Mistress might also interest you, but that's a choralflange with a very specific sound so YMMV.

Oh, and +1 on the HardWire chorus recommendation. The HardWire series are great sounding pedals.

Jackie said:
EHX Small Stone

I think you mean 'Small Clone', the 'Stone' is a phaser. I have a Small Clone and I really like it. I use it in the loop of my Studio Preamp and it sounds ace on both channels. A bit much on the lead channel possibly for some but as an incidental effect it definitely has its place, a few folk have commented on it when I use it like that.

If you're not digging a Boss chorus then the next step is an EHX Small Clone.

It's what Cobain actually used, so chances are the Wampler "Nirvana" is a clone of it. The AnalogMan chorus is also based on the Small Clone. Probably best to experiment with the cheap version before buying an expensive copy.

Ibanez SC10, they were made by Maxxon (at least the first runs).

woinderfull chorus, can go from subtle to Atlantic Ocean chorus. no volume drop (although they can add a little bright tone to the sound).

they can be found for 30-50 bucks at the bay . . . cost peanuts and you'll be suprised.

that or the CS505 made by Maxxon. mxr type footprint. no volume drop also and wonderfull tone (somewhat warmer than the sc10).

actually i think their circuit boards are really alike.

Boss-sized footprint: Jacques Meistersinger
Boss "and 1/2" size: Strymon Ola (but it needs it's own p/s)

Heritage Softail said:
I have a few Wampler pedals and they are all 'reasonable' in the effect level. They can be subtle if wanted. I have not seen the pedal you speak of. I like effects that are not over the top. The Hardwire Stereo Chorus is quite flexible and has a variety of modern and older chorus flavors. I like it since it can be used in a subtle level with a wet dry rig. The cheap springy warbly sound is available if you twist the knobs for it, but thankfully a very slight warm jazz chorus is also. It can play well into a cranked Mark series or with a Tele into a Dr Z.

Guitar Center sells them so a buy and try was my easy option.

Thanks for all the advice! Its hard to come by some of the pedals everyone mentioned but I was able to trade for a Hardwire Stereo Chorus today and I think my search is over. This chorus can pretty much do it all. No volume boost or drop when engaged. Able to add as much or as little as you want into the mix. Works well with overdrive. Fantastic little pedal. Nice selection of different chorus modes. And made in the USA? That's what it says on the pedal. I'm pretty sure they are discontinued now.

TimeSignature said:
Thanks for all the advice! Its hard to come by some of the pedals everyone mentioned but I was able to trade for a Hardwire Stereo Chorus today and I think my search is over. This chorus can pretty much do it all. No volume boost or drop when engaged. Able to add as much or as little as you want into the mix. Works well with overdrive. Fantastic little pedal. Nice selection of different chorus modes. And made in the USA? That's what it says on the pedal. I'm pretty sure they are discontinued now.
Don't know about discontinued.....? But I was going to recommend this one. I have one also, sold one, tried several others, came back to the Hardwire. It is very versatile, and sounds good at volumes, won't get spiked into fizzy by the fx loop signal level, and I think it runs internally at 18 or 24 volts, I forget which, etc. I run mine after the delay and reverb.

soundchaser59 said:
TimeSignature said:
Don't know about discontinued.....? But I was going to recommend this one. I have one also, sold one, tried several others, came back to the Hardwire. It is very versatile, and sounds good at volumes, won't get spiked into fizzy by the fx loop signal level, and I think it runs internally at 18 or 24 volts, I forget which, etc. I run mine after the delay and reverb.

Yeah I don't know about discontinued either. I saw GC blowing them out, they usually do that when products are or are going to be discontinued (among other reasons.) So scratch that. My bad. Bottom line is that it is a pretty impressive pedal.

Eventide TimeFactor! Someone made an incredible Chorus preset with or without delay for the TimeFactor which means i have yet another pedal to sell. The Factor pedals are absolutley incrediable in their ability and potential. I have another preset that emulates the Z.Vex Seek Wah. :shock: :shock: :shock: The Factor pedals aren't perfect, but they are close enough! :D

Depends on what you want, but my recommendations would be the Retro-Sonic Chorus, the Providence Anadime Chorus, and the Analogman Chorus...

The only thing I can think of that you haven't mentioned yet is the EHX Small Stone.

Two to consider that havent been mentioned:

Analogman mini chorus - expensive at 200 but these sound great according to youtube videos - great thing about these pedals is that the resell value is very good - you will loose only shipping costs if you decide to sell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXkixrSDsf0

Another good one is the TRex Twister - nice thing about this is you get a flanger and chorus - if you are patient can pick one up cheap on that auction site...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu527Azm3Ko

Eventide modfactor is also a solid choice - altho expensive at 220+ but as a benefit you get alot of other effects, but it doesn't meet your requirements for power.

Let us know what you get and how it turns out.

Back