Best Tubescreamer type pedal for metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my_last_sunrise

Reaction score
I am looking for a tubescreamer type pedal to put in front of my Orange Rockerverb (please dont hate) to get a better midrangy metal type tone. Basically I'm looking for a pedal that will make my orange sound like a mesa :D

i have an orange rockerverb 50 but i recentkly joined a metalcore band (playing asking alexandria type stuff) and on its own the rockerverb dirty channel doesnt fit the genre. my friend recommended a tubescreamer to go in front of the amp so what would you guys recommend? ibanez ts9? Maxon OD808? Timmy? anything else?

or do i need something else to get that tone im looking for? forgive me im still new to this genre and gear in general

Nuthin wrong with Orange amps. If they're good enough for Jimmy they are good enough most.

I LOVE my new Mesa Throttle Box. It covers anything metal in front of my DC3 (which already has a pretty bitchin preamp).

I use my Throttle Box just for mid scoop and volume boost on low. Just letting the voicing of the box through with a little bump in volume. It can really scream though.

If you are trying to stay on the cheap, MetalMuff.

The Maxon ODs are really good as well.

I also use a Keely modded TS808 pro and I really like it as well. Good for 80s thrash.

You'll probably want to get a noise gate as well. I use a MXR SmartGate and it works really well. There are many other good ones on the market.

this: brand new.

GC_TOP.jpg

http://www.barberelectronics.com/gainchanger.html

To the OP,

The Wampler Triple Wreck is something to do a YT search on.

I won't rattle off a string of adjectives. You gotta see it and try one. I will take a tele and Dr Z Maz 38, along with that pedal to jam sessions to cover and heavy stuff.

One click of the switch and you go from Brad Paisley tone to Metallica Sad But True.

It is a monster in a box..... Play with the boost button. It does not get much action in the vids. It also can be an old school fuzz pedal.

I've played with a Maxon 808 and a boss OS2 (set to the overdrive side. Both sounded pretty slammin' but my current favourite is a slightly modified MXR distortion +. I've had this for a while but found the output rather low, however I added an LED in series with each of the clipping diodes and this has really opened it up! It had much more volume now and is really usable, whereas it wasn't before - it actually randomly sounded quiter for some reason. I love it and would reccommend this to anyone especially anyone who wants something a bit different to the usual Tube Screamer/ Maxon.

Back