Using GT6 effects board with Effects loop of Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkaczano

Reaction score
Hi I just purchased a new Mark V.

I want to start toying around with effects and I have some really basic questions.

For years I used the GT6 with a Rivera Chubster 45W amp that did not have an effects loop. I simply played right into the amp imput.

I still have the GT6 and I am assuming that the way I sould be using it is to utilize the effects loop in the Mark V. That is, don't play straight into the input as I did with teh Rivera.

Bascially I want to understand how to use the GT6 to its fullest with the MARK V via its effects loop.

Thanks

Ok after doing alittle research on-line over the weekend, I came across the 4-Cable method. I found this link explaining how to do so with the GT-6:

http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/assets/media/pdf/GT10Tip.pdf

I will get back to you on this ASAP.

Regards

RK

So I cannot get this to work. I have done the following:

- GT6 Output to EFX Return on Mark V head
- GT6 Return to EFX Send on Mark V head
- GT6 Send to Input on Mark V head

Then I have connected my guitar to the Input on the GT6.

Then on the EFX loop I turn the toggle to Loop Active on the back of the head.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

RK

I was doing this wrong. This worked:

Cable 1 - Guitar Out > GT-6 Input Jack.
Cable 2 - GT-6 FX Loop Send > Amp Input (yes, right up front).
Cable 3 - Amp FX Loop Send > GT-6 FX Loop Return.
Cable 4 - GT-6 Left(Mono) Output > Amp FX Loop Return.

The time based effects sound really good.

However I cannot get great sound or tone when I use the GT6 as a pre-amp (Distortion). When doing so, I turn down the Gain on the Mark V but the sound is horrible. Muddy fuzz. Any advice on how to use the GT6 as a preamp with the Mark V using the 4 cable method?

Thanks

RK

Don't use the GT6 as a preamp. The Mark V is designed to see a guitar-level signal. Using the GT6 as a preamp will send a much larger line-level signal to the Mark, which will overdrive it and sound awful.

PLUS the whole point of using the Mark is to have its glorious preamp set the tone. Turn off the GT6 preamp. Please, I beg you...

If you still want to use the preamp of the GT6 as if it were an overdrive pedal, there may be a way to set the GT6 FX send to instrument level instead of line level. You may also have access to compression and/or other nice pre-gain effects.

Ahh someome was listening! Thank-you for the response! Yes you are right - it does sound horrible when I try to use the GT6 as the pre-amp.

I actually want to use the Mark V as the pre-amp. I also want to explore the EFX loop on it and all I have at my disposal is this old GT6 unit. So that is why I am doing any of this.

I will explore the line-level option of the GT6 more so out of curiosity.

I am assuming that most players use a dedicated rack for time based effects in the loop. Are there any other recommendations for tone with the Mark V using pedals on the head input? Note I am still traversing the tone terrain on this amp and realize that the MESA mob will jump on me and tell me to figure the amp out before mucking around with effects. I will accept that criticism if it comes my way. I am just naturally curious.

Thanks again.

It's funny you brought it up, but yes, you should explore the amp properly before mucking with effects.

As far as HOW people use it, there are almost as many answers as people. Some people insist on putting everything in front of the amp. Some use a pedal or two (usually delay and chorus) in the loop. Some have a rack processor in the loop. Some put effects that are technically better in the loop in front of the amp (phaser, chorus, vibe) because that's what it takes to get VH or Trower tones.

Experiment away. BUT I caution you to find the bet tone you can from the amp. Then add only one effect at a time, and A/B it constantly to make sure you're not losing amp tone in the process. It's so easy to add a bunch of effects all at once and not notice that your overall tone is ruined. Then you will tweak stuff randomly as you get more and more frustrated, and then blame it on mysterious "tone suck".

Think about your GT6 as a rack effect plus a bunch of pedals. The "pedals" sit between your guitar and the amp input. The "rack effect" sits in the amp's FX loop. If you MUST use the GT6, start with just the part in the loop. Plug the guitar straight into the amp, not the GT6.

Nothing good happens fast. It takes a long time to dial in good tone. It can be destroyed in an instant with an FX box. Take it slow, and focus on tone.

If I do what you say and only use the GT6 in the look (plug my guitar direclty into the amp and not the GT6), how does that change my 4 Cable set-up?

P.S. heard a great phrase the other day descrbing the loss of tone due to improper rack set-up 'tonal theivery"

Thanks

RK

Funny!

It would be simple: pull the cable from the GT6 out of the Mesa input and plug your guitar into the amp input instead.

You may have a bit of tonal thievery from the GT6 Return. The amp FX send should see a high impedance (like 1Meg Ohm), but the GT6 return is 220k. It's not terrible, but a little low.

I tried what you said:

"It would be simple: pull the cable from the GT6 out of the Mesa input and plug your guitar into the amp input instead."

For some reason this did not work. No sound at all. I don't understand. Works fine using the 4 cable method. Could I have a setting wrong?

Thanks

RK

If you have a gate turned on, it may be muting the FX loop, like a Decimator would, since there is no guitar signal into the front end of the GT6.

This is exactly why jumping into FX land is a bad idea. Now there are two pieces of gear that you haven't yet figured out connected together.

All I am using is the GT6. Are you suggesting that I may have a Gate employed in the GT6 itself?

Thanks

RK

Back