G-Major vs. Nova System

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the recluse

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on either a G-Major/FCB1010 or a Nova System. Price-wise, it's really about a wash, so I just wanted some quick input.

I plan on using whichever one I get with my Nomad 100. I have a switch box that let's me change channels on the Nomad with latching switches. If I go with the Nova, I've got a custom channel switch pedal I built, If I go with with the G-major/FCB1010 I can use the relays in either to change channels.

My initial intention with going to the nova was to simplify my gear and condense my pedal board, so the G-major/FCB is sort of the opposite of that as I'd now have a rack and a footswitch case to carry around. Are there features in the G-Major that make it better than the Nova or vice versa? I've been poring over their manuals and reviews, etc. for months so I'm kind of wondering about real-world experience with either/both.

The deals I'm looking at are:
New Nova for $339 + $80 credit at MF. Net cost = $260

or

G-major, 2-space Gator rack case, FCB1010 and SKB softcase for around $300.

This has me leaning toward the G-major as it's seemingly a much better deal with a higher resale value. I'm also a little wary of buying a new Nova System as I'm starting to wonder if it will be revamped and a new model will be announced at NAMM.

Thoughts?

It's funny, I was just about to post the same thing.....
I have a G Major 2 with a Voodoo Lab GCX & Ground Control Pro. Last night we practiced at a studio on the other side of the island. I had to make 4 trips to the truck to carry all my stuff in. I woke up thinking that a Nova System and a Voodoo Lab Amp Controller would be a much better solution!

I saw your thread on TGP.

I played around some more with the Nova and my Nomad today. I'm still liking the setup. I need to get it up to live volume in our rehearsal space, but I have no reason to think it will get worse.

Most threads like this, the first thing people will bash is "no 4CM". Then they'll get into the relatively "limited" capabilities of the Nova compared to the other units. Those who are fans of the Nova basically all say the same thing - Easy to use, and it sounds excellent.

I weighed all that stuff out, and I still think the Nova is my solution. I don't want 4CM because there's no reason I need my signal doing two AD/DA conversions before it hits my power amp.

Beyond that, I've never been one to want that "specific" type of effect and I really only use effects minimally so given the "small" size and sound quality I think it's going to work out A-OK.

Back