Help With Mesa Boogie Mark V G System Set Up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgmnca

Reaction score
This question is for anyone who is familiar with the TC Electronic G System:

I just recently purchased a G System to use with my Mesa Boogie Mark V head. I want to use the G for both the effects and channel switching capabilities. I have read Laird's White Papers (an in depth document on how to configure the G System), and browsed the TC forums, but am still a little hazy on the setup specifics.

I want to run the unit on the floor, not in a rack. From what I understand, the most efficient set up would be:
- a 3 channel TRS to TRS snake to handle the main audio connection: connect Amp In -> Gsys Send, Amp Send -> Gsys Insert Return, and Amp Return -> Gsys Out.
- a 4 ch TS to TS snake, to handle the channel switching

I guess some of my confusion lies in the amount of options that can be switched on the Mark V. My understanding is the G System can only switch up to 4 options on the Mark V (i.e. channels 1, 2, and 3 plus solo boost). Is there anyone who could tell me if my understanding of this setup, and channel switching options is correct? Am I missing some crucial components (still not sure where in the chain to place the Hum Eliminator, per the white paper setup)? Is there perhaps a thread that already addresses these concerns that someone could point me towards? I apologize for the onslaught of questions, but after sinking a good chunk of change into this setup, I would prefer to have my bases covered before I pull the trigger on any additional gear purchases.

Thanks

I didn't mess with channel switching, but just remember if you encounter any noise problems to do the trs mod
http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11649/4cm-suffering-from-terrible-noise-here-is-the-solution/
-this really worked for me in all amps

You can find a bunch of opinions on how to hook up a G-System to a Mark V. I assume you searched these forums and the TC electronics forums.

I have owned both for a good while and my opinion has changed a handful of times. I went from a 4 cable hookup to a three cable hookup. I feel the G system sterilizes your sound hooked up in the 4 cable method. I use a Zendrive and Timmy OD before the amp and the 4 cable method kills there sound. They have to be hooked up before the amp. I look at my G system now as a premium Chorus/Delay/Channel switcher. Hooked up straight in the effects loop of the Mesa is the best option for myself. The rack piece sits on top of my Mesa head. Two three foot guitar cables and an Ethernet cable to reach the floor unit. Also two TRS y cables for amp switching. MUCH cheaper than snakes.

The Chorus and Delays in the G are top notch and sound just fine with this hookup. As do the Doubler,harminizer,Flanger ( i dont acually use them except for screwing around) Actually the only sacrifice you make by not using the 4 cable method is the ability to use OD in the loops and the built in compressor. I really likes the G system compressor but not enough to sacrifice the before the amp sound. The master volume settings are also way too sensitive to change on the fly when using the 4 cable method. In a live setting I found that to be annoying.

The expression pedal Univibe and Wah doesn't sound as good in the 3 cable method as the 4 cable method but, I prefur the natural sound of a real wah before the amp.

Anyway just thought I would offer you my opinion before you set out on a expensive venture on buying up all this extra gear as so many other had suggested to me. Hum eliminators and Sunday drivers and gizmo's and for what ... just so i can use an compressor and Univibe.

3 cable method for me ! good luck!

I appreciate the info guys. I figure the best option for getting this set up is going to be a bit of trial and error. That said, I already pulled the trigger on a couple snakes. I'll play around with both the 3 and 4 cable set-ups to see how things sounds. I may be back on here with a few follow up questions once I get things up and running.

Thanks again for the input!

The arguably best and most complete setup guide for a G-System is Laird Williams' white paper on the subject. I used it and FOLLOWED HIS ADVICE EXACTLY and had absolutely zero problems setting up, or gigging and recording with it for the last 2+ years. You can find it on this link:

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

I'm telling you, this was unbelievably valuable to me during my transition from a custom pedalboard to the G-System. I even took his suggestions for the brand of components...I will admit, I tried to substitute another hum-canceller, and was immediately sorry. Once I followed his lead, all was well. Give it a look.

RB

Latest posts

Back