TS808/TS9 Tru Bypass mod link

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendo

Reaction score
Not sure about you guys, but I love and use my TS a lot. But the stock switch sucks, and I did not realize how much it robbed the signal even with the pedal OFF.

I'm sharing it cause it took me 2 hours to find this article. Others charge 50.00 for this service, I did it on my own with the link below in about 45 minutes, and cannibalized an old pedal (MetalMuff) I don't use anymore for a Switch and LED. However the parts can be had for about 4.00.

Makes a noticeable improvement. Took the thinness out of it. Also quieted it up a little on the buzz. Pops a bit when switching, but I think that's due to the 3PDT switch I used as it is old, and the MM had the same pop. Maybe clean it a bit. Also switches much easier, and the Red LED can actually be seen when on. Will pick up some new switches in the AM to fix the MM and hopefully quiet the pop.

Thought I would post it up here for everyone else. Save y'all from my headache.

http://www.premierguitar.com/archive/monthly/pedal_power/0704.htm

PA032774.jpg

PA032777.jpg

i would find a used Barber DDSS, and just step up.

but i understand the desire to mod what you have....

With true bypass you will often get a pop. It's not the switch. It's the input and output DC blocking capacitors. They can have different DC voltages depending on whether they are bypassed or not, and can pull a bunch of charge to rebias when switched.

"pop noise" is bothering the crap outta me with two brand new "true bypass" pedals. I've heard about a missing ground on the AMP input signal path or some such stuff. I desperately need to know how to make the nosie go away. It renders the pedals completely useless for live gigs. :(

PS: Joyo Dynamic Compressor and Joyo Digital Delay are the offenders, and my Stilletto Deuce Stage II is the plaintiff in this case. (BTW the pedals sound pretty darn good IMVHO)

Thanks for posting the info. It is a really simple mod, but I opted to get my Keeley modded TS-9 Tru-Bypass'ed from the beginning. There's virtually no pop. Best TubeScreamer I've ever worked with.

The pop went away when I put a new switch in it. I also replaced the tone capacitors with 200V Orange Drops. Opened it up quite a bit.

Premier Guitar has taken down all of the Keely articles down. However, I made PDFs of the important ones prior, so if anyone wants them, PM me.

I am getting ready to try the 18V mod.

Back