Nova Drive???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about adding a GCX to my guitar setup, but since I am only going to be adding different overdrives and distortions I am thinking that it might be overkill.

I was wondering if anybody here uses a TC Electronic Nova Drive?
Seems like it would be a lot easier & cheaper to ad to my setup.

Are there any glitches between presets?
Does the midi control on the pedal work well?
What is the build quality like?
Is there another midi controlled distortion pedal on the market?

I use to own one that was used with a Boss GT-10 because I didn't like the GT's drives. Because it is midi controllable it worked great changing patches on the GT would change to the patch I wanted on the Nova Drive. The only reason I sold it is I now use the GT-100 and I actually like it's drives and I just didn't have a place for the ND anymore. I already have a number of drives pedals laying around not being used. For me the ND worked great for low to mid gain and driving the lead channel harder. No delay/glitches changing patches and as for build quality it is a sturdy box that I never had any trouble with for a couple of years. I don't know of any other midi controlled pedals.

When I bought mine Pro Guitar Shop had them on sale for $150 so you might check their prices. Over all I can't find anything wrong with the pedal but like anything else it's not for everyone.

Right on MJ! Thanks!

I am seriously leaning toward getting one.
I want to do the same thing that you basically used it for. Mild Bluesy overdrive to Classic Rock sounds and to boost my lead channel.

When you were using it to boost your lead channel, how noisy was it? I have a Budda Phatman pedal that gives me an incredibly liquid lead tone (on my DC-5 lead channel with the gain maxed), but there is a lot of noise between notes. Not as much noise as my old Distortion + made, but it still sucks. I don't want to have to use the noise gate on my G-Major.

I don't have a Nova Drive, but it's the exact same circuit as my Nova System (I just checked TC's website to make sure that's true). And in that case, I can tell you that if you use those drives as the primary source of gain, going into a clean amp, they're...good but not great. Used in front of an already distorted amp, to kick the front end like one might do with a Tubescreamer or SD-1, it's really excellent.

I don't recall having a noise problem and I don't use noise suppressors but I'm not a real high gain player either. Most I get into gain wise is 80's metal. The Nova Drive does have it's own sound which can be heard throughout the different patches. You either like it or you don't. I found it very workable and convenient. Kind of like using the GT-100. There are better drives and effects but for gigging with a simple setup I find it's the convenience that wins out for me over trying for some holy grail of tone which IMO no one in the audience can tell any difference as long as it sounds good and the band is good.

I bought a Nova Drive to put on a small board. I like that it has OD and Distortion. That gives you a total of 18 presets, 9 going to each. The only ***** is changing the presets. I get confused sometimes switch to something I dont wont. I use a RJM Mini-Gizmo to switch the pedal plus the channels on amp from a Line 6 M9. Works really well. I also got the Boss DS-20 for the same purpose plus it switches channels on my amp. That is nice but the drives are harsh and out there.

benjamin801 said:
I don't have a Nova Drive, but it's the exact same circuit as my Nova System (I just checked TC's website to make sure that's true). And in that case, I can tell you that if you use those drives as the primary source of gain, going into a clean amp, they're...good but not great. Used in front of an already distorted amp, to kick the front end like one might do with a Tubescreamer or SD-1, it's really excellent.

The Nova System and Nova Drive have overdrive and distortion circuits. The Nova System only allows you to use one or the other, while the Nova Drive gives you the option of using both, either in parallel or in series. I used to own a Nova System, and although I've never owned the Nova Drive, the videos I've seen of the parallel mode sound way better than just one or the other.

I own one and love it. I use it with my MK3 combo and 2x Marshall Haze in a wet/dry/wet system. It sits on the same floor board as my midi pedal and so i recall the presets via midi on a different channel than my rack processor/midi octopus...this way I have it on when needed. The 18 presets work wonderfully, like having 18 different pedals almost. I can go rom clean bioost to blude driver type sounds to full blown distortion/overdrive...mix in the amp channels and you have quite the combination of different sounds....flexible and great tone..a no brainer in my book and no fukcing round on stage with it,

I have a Nova Drive in the rack with my G-System. Since I use the MkV, I don't need it to provide OD for a clean amp...the MkV has all the drive I need, but I do use it to enhance...and with that use, it's awesome. Also, using it with the G-System, its parameters show up on my G-System's patch display for tweaking....a nice feature.

RB

Latest posts

Back