Mark V with POD HD500 using 4 cable method??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluecollarguy

Reaction score
Hi, I've used a podxt live for years and liked it quite a bit, I've gotten greedy lately and decided to treat myself to a Mark V combo but couldn't hook it up ideally to use the pod for effects only, so I bought an HD500 as well with the intention of using it for effects using the 4 cable method. My initial reaction is disappointment, it defininatly seems to have a negative impact on the tone, the effects sound good but unfortunatley it seems to be colouring the tone much more (even with no effects on) than I thought it would, especially after running the xtlive (guitar --> xtlive --> mark v input), that didn't seem to colour the tone at all (or very little for sure).

So my questions are...

Anyone have experience with this setup??
Anyone get it working good and how??
Any alternative cabling methods that work better??
Is there an alternative in the same price range that will do what I want??

In some of my searching through this board and others I've seen a couple older posts of people claiming to have this working well, would be great to hear some details. It's a great theory and I have no doubt I can get it sounding good but good isn't good enough. I'll still have some window to return POD, I have no intention of returning boogie.

Some answers to questions that might come
Connected... Guitar --> Guitar In pod --> Pod send --> Amp In --> Amp send --> Pod return --> Pod out --> amp return
Pod output set to Combo front
Amps and cabs are disabled
FX Block is on and in the chain

Thanks in advance.
Any help would be appreciated
I have searched for these answers to no avail.

Hi, thanks for quick replys, you guys were bang on and I feel pretty silly, as soon as i changed output back to studio direct it sounded great, power amp combo seemed to sound just as good. Again thanks for help and I do feel silly, I'm sure i read somewhere to set it to combo front, definitley misinformed.

Now just need mini amp gizmo so i can pack up footswitch and control everything with pod.

:D

Again thanks

bluecollarguy said:
Hi, thanks for quick replys, you guys were bang on and I feel pretty silly, as soon as i changed output back to studio direct it sounded great, power amp combo seemed to sound just as good. Again thanks for help and I do feel silly, I'm sure i read somewhere to set it to combo front, definitley misinformed.

Now just need mini amp gizmo so i can pack up footswitch and control everything with pod.

:D

Again thanks
Welcome to The Board.

Don't ever feel silly about a question here, there is alot of good knowldge (and respect) on this forum and we all learn together.

If you are looking into MIDI control check out the Voodoo Lab gear as well.

Glad I could help.

Dom

Welcome to the board man

Would be wonderful if someone made a Mark V +HD 500 4 Cable method youtube video. :idea: (Meaning show all the little HD 500 setting adjustments)

I tried a few times to do the Mark V with the HD 500 and never could get it to sound right. I turned off the amp sims and all....but could not get the levels on both loops all ironed out. One day I might. Would like to clear up the pedal mess.

I've kinda had similar issues. I have pod xt live and markV head. Trying to figure best way to use my pod mostly for effects only. Amps distortions are great. Not sure best way to integrate pod in amp, whether going in front or effects loops?
Also does anyone know if mini amp gizmo would make sense and could it control my pod xt live ? Like to eliminate amp foot switch and have pod control switching and effects?

Latest posts

Back