MXR backing plates

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fear

Reaction score
I was BSing with my fiend's dad while doing some work on her lawnmower. Her dad used to play for a few bands back in the day (Dolly Parton, Dr, Hook, etc) and of course, I had to curve the conversation at some point to music. He showed me his Mk IIc+ short head (originally a MkIIb, but he sent it back complaining about the FX loop and it came back a MkIIc+) and his worn but sweet Les Paul with mini HBs.

Alright, to the point..a few days later he said he was cleaning the basement and wanted me to have a few pedals he wasn't using any more. He hands me original script MXR Dynacomp and Phase 90 pedals and an original grey DOD 250. Freekin' sweet! :D He even said the compressor was used when he laid tracks on some of Dolly's albums.

Anybody know where I can find some MXR back plates? These are original without velcro on the back, no LEDs to let my dumb-*** know they are on and the MXRs don't have power supply ports. I'd like to find some back plates I could stick velcro to and notch for 9v adapter leads without feeling I just defaced a piece of history. That way I can always swap plates back around and make them exactly as I found them.

That's amazing! Some classic pedals for free with a great story behind them.

I would (being lazy and a cheapskate) just make my own backplates out of 1 or 2mm aluminium or something that's easy to drill/ file. I'd guess you could get some 'proper' Dunlop/ MXR backplates but they're probably needlessly expensive and quite hard to work as they're die-cast, thick alloy.

Have fun with your ace 'new' pedals!

MXR (and some other pedals) are housed in a standard box that you can get at many electronic supply stores. It's sold as a "project enclosure", and I have used many of them over the years.

This looks similar:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/376015826/DIY_Guitar_Effects_Pedal_die_case.html

elvis said:
MXR (and some other pedals) are housed in a standard box that you can get at many electronic supply stores. It's sold as a "project enclosure", and I have used many of them over the years.

This looks similar:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/376015826/DIY_Guitar_Effects_Pedal_die_case.html

I believe the early MXR pedals used the Hammond 1590B enclosure (approx 2-3/8W X 4-3/8L X 1-1/4H).

Dom

@ Fear,

If your friends father's initials are PS I may have one of his late 70s Boogies. Could you get back to me?
I've been trying to get a good history on it.

Thx

Back