Clone pedals which are cost effective and sounds good!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
Guys,

There have been many companies out there making clone pedals of various sorts. Some do a great job of getting close to what ever sounds they claim to replicate while others fall short. I'd like to hear from people who have tried some of these clone pedals because I would really like to know which are worth it and which are simply a waste of money.

Here is an example. I recently read a lot of hype regarding some Joyo pedals. Especially how much the Ultimate Drive sounded like an OCD. I purchased one for less than $50 to try it and it actually sounds pretty darn good to me. I don't own an OCD so I can't comment on how close it sounds to it. But for for the price I'm quite happy with it.

Now I'm hunting for more deals like this...

Any comments?

Thanks

if it sounds good to you, that's all that really matters isn't it?

ty

don't be afraid to think and hear for yourself. if you like it, you are more likely to be more creative. someone else's holy grail of tone may not live up to your expectations. after a while of doling out dollars chasing cheap tone you may spend more on "cheap" products than an expensive one costs and still be unhappy. again, if it sounds good to *you,* that's all you need. regardless of cost. there is no "Tone Cookbook."

thunda1216 said:
don't be afraid to think and hear for yourself. if you like it, you are more likely to be more creative. someone else's holy grail of tone may not live up to your expectations. after a while of doling out dollars chasing cheap tone you may spend more on "cheap" products than an expensive one costs and still be unhappy. again, if it sounds good to *you,* that's all you need. regardless of cost. there is no "Tone Cookbook."

+1

Also, like I said, there are hundreds of clones of dozens of pedals. And that's in every category of pedal. How in the world would we know what would sound good to you, especially if you haven't given us any idea of what you're after? As yet, we don't even know what kind of pedal you're wanting, nevermind what kind of sound you're wanting within that category. None of us have the time to list off hundred and hundreds of pedals, all of which might sound good at a fairly reasonable price, and even our favorites might not sound good to you or be the sound you're looking for.

A couple of my favorite low to mid gain pedals I ever bought were supposed to be a clone of the Timmy and OCD. They are not too attractive IMO but I think they sound very good. Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive V1-Timmy clone, Dan electro Cool Cat Drive V1-OCD clone. I've never played a Timmy but have compared the Drive to my band mate's OCD and it was pretty close. Not perfect but good enough to me. At the time I stole these pedals for $20 each.

I believe you're asking for company or brand recommendations? If so, and I am presenting this as my opinion, as there is no way any of us can provide you with "factual" information on this very subjective topic, for my dollar, Fulltone makes excellent pedals as well as "clones" of many classic designs. You mentioned the OCD so I may not be telling you anything new, but they make a lot of other great stuff that places like Guitar Center don't often stock. It might be worth your while to look into it, you can visit http://www.fulltone.com/ to check out all of their stuff, and I believe there are some sound clips available on there too. A lot of their stuff is pricy, and may very well be out of your price range (they are mine, i have to save up for them, no shame in that!), but if you look at the prices of many other "boutique" pedals, they really aren't all that unreasonable. I own several of them, and can attest to their quality. My personal favorites are the Fat Boost 3, the '69 Fuzz, the 70 Fuzz...

^^^continued from above^^^

...and the Mini Dejavibe. They all work great for me, so you might want to check them out. It is also worth mentioning that many have said Mike Fuller is kind of a jerk when they dealt with him, but when I talked to him via email when having some issues with my Fulldrive, he seemed like a decent guy to me. If Fulltone isn't your thing, MXR and Way Huge make good stuff. Also check out Electro Harmonix, T Rex, Boss, and Line 6. Hope this helps, good luck!!

Back