Is This Safe?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixbladeknife

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to run my Mesa together (LSC and F30)

Is it safe to come out of the effects loop of the Lonestar into a Deluxe Memory Man, then take that dry signal into the front of my F-30? The wet signal returns to the Lonestar of course.

The signal would be going through 2 preamps. I know I could run the DMM out front, but I prefer it in the loop. How can I use these two amps together
to get a bigger, wider sound?

Thanks for your input!

J

Safe? Yes. Noisy? YES!!!!

Running a line-level signal from the FX loop back to an amp input rarely works well. If you just want the added power amp tone of the F30, turn all the knobs to zero and run the dry signal from the delay into the FX RETURN of the F30. You will need to plug a cable into the FX send of the F30 as well, but it can be just a plank plug with no cable, or leave the other end of the cable unconnected.

If you want the preamp tone of the F30, you should split the signal before it goes into the amp inputs. There are boxes for that, or you can use a Y-cable in a pinch.

What elvis said. You won't fry anything by going line level into an instrument-level input, but you probably will not like the tone you get out of the F30 if you do. Will be noisy and mushy. If you had an early Fender or Marshall with multiple inputs (one padded), you could use that, but in this case you're probably best off just slaving the F30 by going into its FX return.

Slaving the F30 will get you the power amp section of that amp only. If you're wanting the tone of both amps, the simplest option is an A/B/Y box. One input, two outputs....one to each amp.

+1, but you will probably need to buffer it, too. No problem with active pups, but with passives the amp input impedance is a bit low with 2 in parallel.

What ABY boxes do you guys recommend?

And what should I use to buffer the signal, any hardware recommendations there?

Thanks for your genius input, you guys are awesome. Does the quest for tone ever end?
Do any of you guys play a stereo set up?

I have a Morley A/B/Y that works great. There are TONS of buffers. For a buffer, you want something with no less than 1Meg input impedance and not much more than 1k output impedance.

My favorite is the Valvulator. Pricey, but very good, and it's a tube. I like the MXR Micro Amp and Xotic EP Boost. A Boss GE-7 will do the job, though they can be noisy.

I just tore down my stereo setup. I have a Triaxis/2:90/G System. But with my Dyne and Mini Rec, I haven't been using it. Also, I never had a chance to take advantage of the stereo thing live. I am back to mono, which is a bit easier, and more realistic.

Back