Dallas Rangemaster-style Treble Boosters

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris McKinley

Reaction score
How many of you have used/do use a treble booster? Which unit do you have/use? Any insights or questions on these items?

I built one following the article on GeoFX.

I used an NOS CV7003 (military OC44) germanium transformer from Small Bear. They sell them tested with a report and the proper value resistors to bias it correctly.

It's an awesome pedal with darker, inefficient, old fashioned style, non-master volume amps. It overdrives them for a nice distorted tone. It's great with a Marshall Class 5 and a Les Paul.

The same volume setting makes a modern amp sound very bright and extremely loud! I don't like it that way at all.

Don,

I can't speak to your particular unit since you built it yourself and I have no idea how it's set. That's too bad it gives a sound you don't like. Properly set up, treble boosters can be very useful specifically with Rectifier series amps, and especially for lead playing, because they replace some of the missing mids and harmonic overtones that Rectos are known for lacking, as well as provide deep saturation of high notes without the corresponding mud that usually comes with it, especially on a Recto. Rectos are so naturally bass-heavy that it is easy to dial back in the appropriate amount of bass that the treble booster reduced, and yet still have clarity and articulation in the bass notes, something usually difficult to achieve on a Recto without help.

Mine sounds exactly as I like, just not with a modern amp, I have very little experience with Rectifiers, though.

My pedal is pretty close to an exact re-creation of a Dallas Rangemaster except that it's footswitchable.

Rangemasters work best in a cranked up amp and work best when they're cranked up as well.

Latest posts

Back