The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 am 
Mark III

Thanks Chris...that is what I thought.

I corrected my earlier post to reflect the ToneBone as adding +5dB at 1kHz.

I will try those suggested settings you mentioned earlier as an alternative.

The great thing about the GMajor is I can easily A/B it by taking two presets and adjusting the EQ differently on each of them without any effects. Then I just press a footswitch button on the FCB1010 and immediately have a comparison of these EQ adjustments.

To your point, having crap to start with will only produce better crap, if possible.

My starting point is actually excellent and sometimes when I listen to my older recordings I wonder why I am changing anything in the first place.

The only real missing piece was the percussive element.

The 4 x 12 took care of that.

I just want to make sure that I am taking advantage of the situation and ensure that now that I have the percussive sound that it is tracking tightly and accurately.

My next step is to invest in speakers.

My Tremoverbs have Celestion Vintage 30s and the Marshall 4 x 12 has the G12-75s.

At some point when I add the second 4 x12 I might want to swap some speakers to get the last link in the chain where it needs to be.

I don't like harsh/icey highs that are brittle and I don't like mids that are tin can sounding. I like thick, creamy, percussive lows and mids with a bell like, chimey piano quality and shimmering, not harsh highs.

Oh well the pursuit gives me something to shoot for and keeps me busy.

Thanks again.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

Last edited by TremoJem on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:25 pm 
Mark IV

No prob. What's funny is that the descriptions you are giving, both good and bad, are stereotypical aspects of both the classic Recto tone and the classic Marshall tone. Each has strengths and weaknesses. Rectos have the crushing low end, but they can be muddy. Marshalls don't have as much ground-shaking bass, but they track more tightly in the low end. Rectos have weak tinny mids, Marshalls have sweet singing mids. Rectos can have some nice sizzling harmonics in the high end, but they also tend to have those harsh/icey highs that you mentioned, especially on the Modern channel.

As far as cab speakers go, your basic choices are to go essentially Recto, go essentially Marshall, or to go for a hybrid of the two and get aspects of each. Or, you could get two cabs and load each of them out separately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:35 pm 
Mark III

Chris...you nailed it.

Geez...what am I thinking.

This is really too funny.

I would have caught this earlier had I ever owned a Marshall head.

Well if I can find a happy medium it will be heaven.

I love my Tremoverbs so any improvement will enhance them.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:57 am 
Mark III

O.K. so I made some changes.

For both amps I decreased the setting for gain in channel two "Red/Modern" from maximum to 3:00.

In the FXLoop I adjusted the following using the GMajor:

I increased 100Hz by 6 dB at a Q setting of .2 (just recently change to a gain of 4)

I decreased 200Hz by 6 dB at a Q setting of .5

I increased 700 Hz by 4 dB at a Q setting of 2.0

At the pre-gain stage I adjusted the following:

I bumped the gain by 1 or 2 dB and bumped the 1KHz by 5 dB.

The amp sounds killer. I played with the drummer and it was amazing. I still need to get the bass player there to really know.

At louder volumes I might find that the low end is a little too much.

It tracks tightly, and is focused and articulate.

I am really impressed.

I am still going to mess around with the settings though, as I feel the bumps are a little too high. I have heard that cutting is always better than adding, when EQ'ing.

Originally if you remember I had two other previous settings I tried. Of the three the latest one seems to work best.

My guitar has real attack and no fizz. Great sustain and harmonics too.

Interestingly, I found that my guitar sounded really good no matter where I stood and that was not always true with prior settings, although I can say that since I started this tweaking it has always been an improvement over what I had been using for awhile.

Thanks Chris and everyone else for your help.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

Last edited by TremoJem on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:26 am 
Mark IV

Glad you're finding a tone you like. I'm also glad you backed off on the gain, too. Unlike Marshalls, Rectos are designed to get all their distortion from the preamp gain instead of a combination of pre and power amp saturation. As such, it's easy to overdo it when you max out the gain knob on a Recto. You'll lose bloom, pick dynamics and note definition with too high of preamp gain. If more gain is needed, it's better to get it with a high-quality OD or even a clean boost.

Those are some pretty good settings now. If you find you're losing too much warmth in getting rid of the mud, you might try narrowing the 200Hz Q from 0.5 to 0.1 or 0.2.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:10 pm 
Dual Recto

TremoJem, I've been on a similar journey with my Splawn Nitro and G-Major 2.
The Nitro is a Recto/JCM hybrid (to my ears anyway) so I have an excellent starting point but between my other guitarist and bass player I'm left with a very narrow spectrum to work with. I have my parametric set up just like yours on the lower frequencies except I increase 120hz by 2db and decrease 240 by 2db. I slightly boost 1.2k with a wide q setting also.
I wish the G-Major had the EQ from the Axe-Fx. It had a 5 band parametric and shelving. It would be nice to lop off everything under 80hz or so to clean up the bottom end all together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:38 am 
Mark III

Thanks guys.

Yes that would be nice to have a better EQ available in the GMajor.

I have since decided to lower the 100Hz to a gain of 4.

I find at lower volumes it does not matter how much you add, the percussive sound is not there because you are not moving air.

At higher volumes a gain of 4 at 100Hz is more than enough.

Ryjan, you will find that it takes time, and maybe you already know this, but each different scenario lends itself another ear.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:15 pm 
Mark IV

Quote:
I find at lower volumes it does not matter how much you add, the percussive sound is not there because you are not moving air.

Bingo! That's why it's all part of playing the rig, not just the guitar. :)

Low frequency sound simply has more capacity to move air in such a way that provides that percussive thump on low-note chugs and such. At one point in the late 80's, I played through a custom cab that had a high-watt 18" subwoofer with a cross-over built-in. I've never heard another guitarist, pro or amateur, that could get the kind of ridiculous heart rhythm-altering low-end thump that I got with that bad boy. Even the modern Mesa cabs don't even come close. In fact, it ended up being way too much, and my bass player became almost unnecessary, and of course I mean that in a really bad way. Sure, it sounded cool and powerful as all hell, but in terms of playing with a band, it was a nightmare. At the end of the day, a guitar is not a bass nor a kick drum. :P Still, even to this day I still like chugs that you can feel as much as hear when playing live, and that's all about moving lots of air quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:29 pm 
Single Recto

Wow, late to the program--but this is probably one of the best posts on the Boogie Board. Good info here fellas,especially you,Chris! Thanks brotha!Image

PRS Standard 24 Cream
PRS Standard 24 Red
Marshall JCM800 1960A 412

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:50 am 
Mark III

I agree...that Chris is the star here.

These changes have really made a difference in sustain, harmonic feedback, response and overall improved tone.

There are some compromises though, for example:

My Xotic line up, AC, RC and BB respond differently. I can easily fix this by disengaging the front end boost and then my sweet tone returns from these pedals. They do not suffer greatly from the gain/eq boost being engaged, but just sound different and respond differently.

My cleans lack a little of the sweet mid scoop that made them sound so damn amazing and clean, but that is also easily corrected by disengaging the front end boost. By removing the front end gain/eq boost I lose some of the attack but it really is not necessary in the first place, although it does add some nice affect. The real culprit in this equation is the +5db of 1KHz, but that is directly tied to that gain/eq boost that the pedal offers and I cannot separate them with just a quick stomp on the pedal. It is limited to a set up switch on the pedal.

This is not a problem with recording, but only with playing live.

No problem, as I believe that when playing live it will not present an issue.

Overall it is a great improvement and I credit Chris and others for sharing the knowledge.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:15 pm 
Mark IV

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm really glad to help. I'm currently talking to a couple of publishers about the idea of putting together a book on all this kind of stuff. The idea would be to have it all together in one place for reference. I'll let the forum know if something develops.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 am 
Mark III

Your welcome and good luck Brother...I would buy one.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:22 pm 
Mark III

Hey Chris...I have another update for you.

But more importantly...is your book available?

Just let me know if it happens, as I am looking forward to buying it.

Let me get some things together and I will post the update.

Plus...I want to give this post some time to see if anyone is even interested...LOL.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop