ISP noise gates

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuenu

Reaction score
I know I want a noise gate. I have a Mesa 3 channel DR. My research so far seems to indicate ISP Decimators are the best. The question is whether to get the standard model or the more expensive G String model (which can be used in the loop)

Some of the technical advice on the differences between the two has me a bit confused as I have no experience in this area. I thought I would just buy the more expensive Decimator G String as I thought it would do exactly what the standard Decimator does PLUS some extra stuff. Thus in a worst case scenario (caused by lack of knowledge and experience in this tech stuff at purchase time) I would buy the G String version and not fully utilize its capabilities by just sticking it out in front of the amp. When I get to know how it all works a bit better I could use it in the lop as well.

However I have read a few comments that indicate that maybe the standard Decimator might actually work better than its more advanced G String brother in some circumstances, i.e. when I just want to quickly throw it out in front of the amp. I may also own other amps in the future. I sometimes swap amps with friends for a while, sometimes use an AC30 and sometimes even an old Roland JC60. Which ISP Decimator should I buy? The extra $100 for the G String is neither here nor there for something I will use for years.

I want it for fast metal chugging and for cleans on my Strat. Any advie appreciated.

I have a regular ISP Dec and it is great on anything. I've heard the G string is improved if you want to run it with the 3 cable (right?) method. If you just run it in front of the amp, it's the same as the regular Decimator. If you run it about noon, it is going to give you a soft clamp that you'll definitely notice, and pull down all the noise. A little higher and you'll get a hard clamp, but it will also clamp your cleans and it will clip the gorgeous mesa clean sound, and you'll find yourself turning it on for dirt and off for cleans.

Edit: I use mine in the loop to cut down on tube noise, and it's priceless for recording. Also for BIG venues when dialing in.

G-String can be used with 4CM, Decimator (regular) can't.

Which means G-Sting can be in the loop and in front of the amp "at the same time", Decimator can only be in the loop or the front.

I'd get the G-String if I were you :wink:

Thanks. If the G String can act in exactly the same way as the regular model when used out front, I have nothing to lose but a few $.

Good move, more versitile. I use delay/reverb through the loop and everything else up front. If you want to cut the" normal" Mesa high gain noise and hiss, you need to put the decimator through the loop. If you want to cut out on pedal hiss, it needs to go up front. With the G string, you can do both.

I use my decimator primairly thorugh the loop. The gate (as all gates) takes some getting used to, if you have never used one.

58boogie said:
Good move, more versitile. I use delay/reverb through the loop and everything else up front. If you want to cut the" normal" Mesa high gain noise and hiss, you need to put the decimator through the loop. If you want to cut out on pedal hiss, it needs to go up front. With the G string, you can do both.

I use my decimator primairly thorugh the loop. The gate (as all gates) takes some getting used to, if you have never used one.
After ordering it I read that the G-String only works with a series FX loop (the skimpy one page manual from ISP does not mention this). However my DR has a parallel loop. Will this be a problem?

Mmmm AFAIK all Rectos have parallel fx loop instead of series fx loop. I run my Noise Decimator in the fx loop with great results. My setting in the loop is at 90%, which is the closest you can get to a series fx loop, without mods.

Latest posts

Back