Hi Everybody!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris McKinley

Reaction score
I just wanted to say hi to everyone here. For some strange reason, I have been unable to log in to my account this past year and have been unable to elicit any response from the administrators by email in regard to my situation. I am writing this from an out-of-state computer, so perhaps it's an IP address issue or something. When I return home to my computer, I may be unable to access the forum again, so I thought I'd check in and send my greetings to everyone here while I can.

I look forward to getting this issue resolved so that I can continue to contribute to the forum again. Hope everybody's doing well and keep rockin'!

Chris McKinley

I'm not sure who assisted me with my account access problem, but someone did. Just wanted to say a big thank you!

Thanks, man. I'm happy to help when I can. This stuff can get so convoluted and counter-intuitive sometimes that often just a tiny bit of the right information can make everything else click into place. Finding it on your own can take years though (at least if you're as slow and obtuse as I am), so it's good karma to try and help out a fellow rocker now and then.

Hi Chris and welcome back.

I've been inactive myself for the past year or so due to being out of mesa amps. But I'm back on the straight and narrow with my newly adopted mesa ROV combo.

Welcome back, Geiri! I'm still plugging away on my Triple Recto, but I'm just now starting to get back into doing custom pedal work again.

I remember when I had my triple you were the one who helped me the most with my tone. Even if I didn't bond with it after all my trials back then it was nice to have this forum and great people like yourself to turn to when things got sour.

When I got my ROV last week I applied what I had learned from you and others here to it and I have never been happier with my sound.

Looking back on things I think the problem I had with the recto was me not appreciating this amazing amp and it's very special voice.

Geiri

Glad to have helped! Very cool attitude, btw. I think looking at it like that helps you get "inside the tone" with any amp and pull out more of what it does best.

Thanks man

but the funny thing is, that I was so fixated on getting a mk4 I think that ruined the whole experience for me regarding the recto. I got caught up in the too loose and flubby, sizzling top end and muddy gain choir.

Well I finally got myself a mk4 and had that one for a couple of years. Brilliant amp, well brilliant lead channel to be fair, the other two were just meh in comparison with the lead channel.

Sold it and now I have a recto and the problems stated above are non extinct. If anyhting the recto is much tighter than the mark ever was just by applying the right ingredients.

I love it and now I have s serious GAS for the newborn rectifiers.

Life is strange and wonderful :lol:

Funny how it works sometimes. Yeah, there are things the Recto doesn't do as well as the Mark, or a Lonestar, or a Marshall....but with the right combination of boost, EQ, overdrive, etc., I can get it to sound like just about anything I need it to. I think a large part of the problem people have in dialing in their tone with any amp is that they've forgotten how to play the entire rig, not just the guitar or just the amp. You get guys who think that the holy grail of tone comes from playing just a guitar into an amp straight and pure, and then they wonder why playing their down-tuned guitar with active pickups straight into a Recto with the gain and the bass dimed isn't getting them a useable tone, nevermind sounding exactly like the guitar on their favorite metal recordings.

They think to themselves, "Surely my Recto which costs umpteen million bucks and is the most recorded amp of the last 20 years couldn't possibly need anything else to sound exactly like anything I want it to", and then cognitive dissonance and ego get in the way of them looking for the actual solutions. I think it would be good if folks got back to being curious again about how all this stuff works, and how it all works together. I think it starts by being able to identify the tone you're after, and then by understanding exactly how that tone was created, not just which amp the guy used.

Latest posts

Back