Which Floor Processor for a Kid????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
My 7 year old son has really taken a liking to playing guitar!
He has a mini Squier Strat and a Peavey Classic 20 that I souped up!

I want to get him a processor for Christmas, but am torn.
I see lots of really cheap ones, but it has to fit these criteria.....
Easy to program
Very tough (he's 7)
Easy to scroll through presets

I've been looking at these:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOX-TONELABST-LIST
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DOD-RP90
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ZOO-G1XN

I really like the looks of the Vox because the housing is metal.

I'd start him on pedals. I think it helps a lot to turn the knobs and figure out what they do. I don't think anyone can figure out a programmable anything without first understanding the basics. I always had trouble with processor functions where I had not first had that effect as a pedal or 2.

As an added bonus, you can get kits for pedals. I built a few when I was in high school, and wound up becoming an electrical engineer.

elvis said:
I'd start him on pedals. I think it helps a lot to turn the knobs and figure out what they do. I don't think anyone can figure out a programmable anything without first understanding the basics. I always had trouble with processor functions where I had not first had that effect as a pedal or 2.

As an added bonus, you can get kits for pedals. I built a few when I was in high school, and wound up becoming an electrical engineer.

personally; I'd teach him to get the most out of the guitar/amp set up.
I wish I'd learned decades ago that toys are just a cover and a distraction....

Fully understood. I had no FX, crappy guitar, & a Peavey Bandit.
I was completely uninspired by my tone.

He understands that basics, good guitar & good amp. He also loves to experiment with different tones.

In fact, as I'm typing this, he is playing with a Guyatone OD and a Danelctro Chili Dog Octave pedal. Sounds like a keyboard. :lol:

Check out the Line 6 M9. Great pedal. I just got the M13, which might be a little overboard for a 7 year old. But, so far, I am loving this thing. All metal chassis, seems to be very sturdy, and it has great effects. No amp sims, so once he grows up some and gets a better amp, it won't mask his tone as much. Good luck with you decision. Lucky kid. Wish I had that setup when I was 7!

-AJH

:D You would be amazed at how good his little amp actually sounds now!!!!

I'll check it out, thanks!
As life would have it, a good friend of mine has a bunch of cheap pedals that he wants me to sell, so I might go that route for now.

You would be amazed at how good his little amp actually sounds now

I actually REALLY like the Peavey Classic series. When I stumbled on my DC5- I was actually trying to find a Classic to trade for....I didnt think a MESA was going to be located locally...

Back