Pedals in front...volume for boost or gain?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TremoJem

Reaction score
If I wanted to use my BB pedal at the same time I use the high gain channel (red cloned to orange, using modern) and wanted to add some sizzle NOT volume, what is the best way to do that.

Do I increase volume, which would then be a boost and not what I want.

Do I increase gain, which seems to make the amp squeal when I am not actively playing a note.

I am just trying to use a pedal in front to get some more gain when playing leads and alot of guys say to use a pedal in front but I need to understand better how it works or how to make it work.

There isn't a lot to understand really, the classic way of "od pedal boosting" is setting the Level at max, Gain/Drive control to 0, tone control(s) to taste and has been done since forever.

Increasing the volume will add gain but not volume, at least not a lot in my experience, since all you're doing is slamming a stronger signal to the amplifier. There may be a perceivable volume boost because some pedals add extra midrange in the sound, like Tube Screamer pedals (if your tone has slightly dipped or more scooped mids it's more noticeable).

O.K. so just max out the volume and zero out the gain.

EQ to taste.

In theory then this should not really affect the output of volume on the amp and therefore it won't be necessary to adjust the amp levels.

Doing this should bring back the gain lost by playing at higher not HIGH volumes. It seems that when I play at lower volumes tend to lend the amp to a more compressed tone and easier playing. Playing at higher volumes opens up the amp and reduces some of the compression and makes it a little more important that you really have your technique down (which is really a good thing actually). But I am not there yet.

I will try this.

I am going to post a question about the Xotic EP, as this is designed to do just that and I am wondering what the population on this board has to say about this pedal.

Thanks alot for clearing this up.

No prob, it's what we're here for right :)

If you're used to playing at lower volumes I think it makes sense that you feel like you "lose" gain when turning up. That's why I always try to EQ amps differently for lower/higher volumes or at least set the gain lower/treble(or presence) higher.

The Xotic pedals are very good stuff. My friend had a BB preamp but he sold it because he found it too transparent (which is a good thing, transparency, to some folks) and got a TS type boost instead but it is a very well made and awesome sounding pedal. Ask Andy Timmons for Chrissakes :mrgreen:

Thanks so much for the great info.

One last question.

Any of the Xotic pedals EP, RC, AC and BB can be used to hit the preamp harder without any gain.

As you said earlier, just turn gain off and max the volume.

Am I wrong in thinking that is a bit like having a high output pickup?

My Jem has high output pickups, for example, when I switch from the middle single coil to either humbucker it is like a wall of sound has been turned on.

Let me know what you think and thanks again.

Any distortion pedal (except perhaps fuzz pedals) that has a Level and Drive control can be used as a boost or "gain box".

I think you could use that analogy, yes. What you're basically doing is driving a stronger signal into the preamp which causes more preamp distortion. Single coils have inherently lower output so that's why you notice such a difference going from one single coil to hot humbucker.

This is all true, but I would add that a simple, well-made boost pedal (like the EP boost) will likely be a lot less noisy than a distortion or overdrive pedal with gain turned down.

I agree, and the circuitry of any pedal with a volume and gain will color the sound, especially if it is cheap and has treble and bass controls, as it is just more circuitry in the way of the signal.

That is why the Xotic line is so popular, I think.

I have the BBP-AT and I tried the settings at zero gain, volume at max, treble and bass at neutral and it sounded great.

This is due to the fact that these pedals are very transparent.

I would not use my BBP-AT for a boost though.

I think the RC or the EP are good for that, my only problem with the EP is that I do not want to get the boost and then when I turn it off I lose volume.

I have not been able to wrap myself around the idea that I would leave it on "all the time".

I plan on getting an RC and will play with that, but I wish the EP had a trim control so that I could get the boost and still manage to balance volume levels between on and off if you know what I mean.

You might want to consider trying a Timmy pedal as well.
Sounds like it could also work and be just what you are looking for....
Btw they don't color the sound at all.

As for doing a set up while leaving a pedal on all the time.
You might want to consider setting up for the tone/ sound you want with your guitars volume knob set at about 6-7.
Then adjust it /turn it up as appropriate for leads/ solo's.

I have the RC pedal from Xotic now.

I love it so much that I think I might actually consider getting the EP now.

**** tone pit!

Deathf***ingmetal said:
For an Overdrive pedal, I might suggest the GT-OD from MXR... great pedal to pair with the Rectos!!!

+1, the GT-OD is a nice warm booster, my bandmate has one and he uses it to boost his ENGL.

So I have the BBP-AT AND have added the RC Booster to my line up.

They sound great.

Here is an interesting discovery.

The Radial ToneBone SwitchBone has a Boost on it. I can select from two types of boost either together or independent of each other, one of which is "Mid" and the other is "Gain".

"Mid" boost has three settings "Off", "5dB", and "10dB".

"Gain" boost has "Mute", "Mid Only", and "Gain" (which combines the "Mid" selection from above with the "Gain" you set via a potentiometer).

I worked with the amps first to dial in the settings I wanted from them directly.

After working with the Radial I settled on some "Gain" with 5dB of "Mid".

This really opens up the sound and defines it a little more with focused and articulate tone.

So now I have gain hitting the front of the amp, pedals hitting the Radial pedal and EQ hitting the FXLoop, which by the way I am now thinking of altering a little bit more now that I have found the feature on the Radial to be so useful.

I want to decrease frequencies in the FXLoop to remove any flub and not so much add frequencies if that makes sense.

Let me know what your opinions are, thanks.

I have the mid/gain boost on all the time and love it (for now...).

Use the RC and BB when applicable and love them to death.

Interestingly if I need a little extra sizzle at high volumes when using the hi-gain on the Mesa's I just engage the RC.

It adds just enough gain to add sustain and harmonic feedback, but not enough to send the signal out of control and create uncontrollable feedback.

Also, if I am using the BB and want just a little more break up I can add the RC to that as well.

These pedals are really amazing for using alone or in combination with others.

I think an AC may be on the list for this month.

**** Xotic.

LOVE USING A FULLTONE FATBOOST III TO PUSH THE FRONT END OF MY MARK2B.

gonzo: love using caps lock to push the front end of your post's content? :p

I simultaneously like and dislike how transparent Xotic dirt boxes are. I like the fact that it just gives it that "extra push over the cliff" (get the reference? :D ), but doesn't alter the tone very much. On the other hand, if I'm boosting in the first place, the usual "mid hump" of a, say, Tubescreamer type pedal adds some color to the tone, tightens up the bass, makes leads sing etc. so you'r deprived of that a little.

Depends on what you need. But I think you've found what you're looking for, the Xotics are cool as hell :)

Latest posts

Back