Using two TC Flashback delays ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeYourself

Reaction score
I like the FB delay pedal very much for its simplicity/clarity/flexibility/compact options, so I want two FB pedals to:

A. Go from U2 style clean amp sound, to say a Dream Theater style rhythm or lead sound. Song that captures this is DT's Lifting Shadows which I just love; or
B. Go from short/medium delay to a long delay.

I like the size of the FB's and their compactness, and avoiding presets or in depth tweaking which am completely over.

Rig set up I have is mono, ala a Mark IVa head and ported 1x12 cab. The FB's will be in the loop.

Q. Should I stick to one FB or two ?
Q. Or should I get a FB and another brand delay pedal ?

Cheers, Alex

Bump...

So am still thinking out two FB delay pedal to give me plenty of options without scrolling thru presets and endless tweaking.

If I wanted tweaking and presets I would consider Time Factor, Time Line, Nova or Repeater.

So...its either two FB delays or a FB and a DD-7.

Anyone here had experience with these pedals ?

You could use 2 FB's and an AB-Y switch to choose between them.

I used a Flashback at band practice on Saturday, it sounded stellar! I really missed the tap tempo though.
Gotta figure out how to make my G-Major II sound like the FB!

Another delay that I used recently was the Vox Time Machine. It doesn't sound as nice as the TC, but has Tap Tempo and is super easy to use.

I'm using a Flashback, a DD-3 and a Time Factor. I would go with a Time Factor, rather than 2 FBs for these reasons:

The TF has 20 programmable presets. This is AWESOME when you just have to have the settings you need RIGHT NOW. In addition, if you change modes on the FB, you also have to change the mix and delay, so you have to move 3 knobs at a time.

The programming/tweeking is no more difficult than on the FB. I love, though, that there are a couple more parameters that you can get to. I use the tapecho mostly, so being able to program the tape parameters is nice. It's all knobs, no menus, and storing presets is no more difficult than storing presets on your car stereo - just hold a button.

The TF has 2 separate delays, so you can do a LOT more cool stuff than the FB.

The FB looper is basically useless, since the looped volume is more that the thru volume. I use the looper on the TF a lot, and it works very well. The reason I have the FB is that I want a nice delay when the TF is a looper.

The strum tempo method on the FB is cute, but requires that you drop out of the song to use it. Poor design.

The mix on the FB is designed so that you can have 100% wet (for stuff like reverse delay). That means that as you tweek the mix, your dry level changes as well as wet level. Usually you want to change wet level only.

If you bump the knobs on the FB, you lose the setting.

Most of these don't apply to an A/B setup, as you will probably keep the pedals set to one thing each. I do like the FB, which is why I own one. It just bugs me that their implementation isn't quite right. I love TC Electronics stuff, and usually they are better at that.

If you decide to go with the Boss stuff, I think the DD-3 is better than the DD-7. The DD-7 has a lot of features, but it's difficult to use. I owned both, and ditched the DD-7 because it's an awful lot of money for a basic delay. For that money I'd go with the FB.

The Nova Delay is probably a very good happy-medium between the TF and the FB.

Thanks guys.

I could not find a better compact delay pedal than the FB, considering its also got analogue dry path signal for me is also a big high five. And the A/B/Y of the dual FB's is a good idea too.

The reason am am resisting the TF or say the Timeline is that presets, and parameters distracts my playing.

Am mostly doing basic digital delays ie, dotted 8th; short delay; long delay; pingpong; so that's the reason for going with two FB's.

I have no need to tap tempo changes done on the fly as most of the setting will be fixed.

What's the TF like in changing presets ?

How does the sounds of TF compare to the Timeline which has rave reviews ?

I don't know how the TF compares to the Timeline, as I haven't tried the TL.

I don't think you'll find the "presets" and "parameters" to be confusing with the TF. Everything on the TF is controlled directly by the knobs on the front - nothing is hidden.

The presets are also very intuitive:

There are 3 footswitches. The left one selects/bypasses patch 1, the middle one selects/bypasses patch 2. So each switch turns on/off one patch, just like if it were a FB. BUT, if you want to switch from patch one to patch 2, you just press the switch for patch 2 - it automatically turns off patch 1. That makes it very easy to switch between 2 presets, exactly as you would do with 2 FBs, except you only have to hit one button. I use two patches to switch between a light delay and a heavy delay.

The third footswitch, on the right, can control tap, and also indexes the bank. There are 10 banks, with 2 patches each. That's the one place that you could get confused, as you have up to 10 banks, and you have to scroll through them one at a time. HOWEVER, you can set the TF to scroll through less than 10 banks. If you only use 1 bank (2 patches), you can ignore the rest so it will not scroll through banks. If you use 2 banks (4 patches), you can set it so it ignores banks 3 through 10, so the bank switch just toggles between bank 1 and bank 2. That's how I'm using it right now. Very simple - you're never more than one switch away from the bank and patch you want.

The knobs don't do anything unless you turn them. Then they adjust the delay parameters. They are click knobs, so they will not turn accidentally or if you just touch them, the way that the FB knobs will.

I used my Flashback last night with my G-Major II and I have to say that the Flashback was way easier to tweak and just sounded better.
I ran the G-Major in the Loop and the Flashback in front of the amp and still preferred the Flashback!

Been doing a lot of research and for a straight forward and versatile digital delay pedal the FB cannot be beat.

Played at church over weekend with my reburbished Mark IV and I definitely require 3-4 different delay sounds.

The Timefactor, and Timeline are very appealing but I won't be needed all their patches/parameters live which to me would be more of a distraction. HOWEVER the price of either one of these would be equivalent to two FB's. So value for money two FB is not a good deal.

So at this point, I'm edging to go for 2 FB's - time is on my side coz I don't have enough cash for a new pedal board (Front of Amp: CAE Wah, Pitch Black tuner, and Keeley Mod TS9 Flexi 4x2; Loop: EB Vol Pedal, x2 FB's, possibly Strymon Ola Chorus/Vibrato, WET reverb).

If you need more than one delay sound- dont waste your time- just get a Timefactor and you WILL NOT "want" for other delays. Seriously. If I wasnt using an Ultra for effects, I would be back in a TF...

Laskyman said:
If you need more than one delay sound- dont waste your time- just get a Timefactor and you WILL NOT "want" for other delays. Seriously. If I wasnt using an Ultra for effects, I would be back in a TF...

TGP is trawling with TF vs Timeline comparisons. Have you tried the TL to verify that it's that much better than the TF?

Btw these two pedals have too much features for me to use.

Back