Recommend pedalbaord set-up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeYourself

Reaction score
I've decided that pedals is the way I want to go, and cover a few styles mainly for worship environment. Amp am using is MK IV head and 1x12 EV ported cab.

Narrowed my selection to:
- Tuner (TC Polytune or Boss TU-2), dunno)
- CAE Wah
- TS-9 Flexi 4x2 OD (Keeley mod)
- EB Vol pedal -> loop for vol. etheral/swells which i love
- TC Flashback -> loop
- TC Corona -> loop
- TC Shaker -> loop
- Accessories etc

Its a nice tidy selection with each fx providing me options but do you think (given that most people only use 2-3 fx max) that this pedal set-up could be reduced? If so what would u suggest?

Thanks

I am a worship player primarily- and I HIGHLY recommend Eventide factor pedals- multiple presets allow near limitless options for tonal soundscapes. Timefactor is my all-time favorite pedal period.
My $.02...

I have both the Time Factor and Flashback delays. I agree with Laskyman that having presets for the TF is great. It'a also a MUCH more flexible pedal, and I think it sounds better, However, if you are a one-delay-setting person, then the FB is a good pedal. The TF also really needs to be in a loop. It tends to be noisy when set for instrument level.

I would also recommend a Phase 90. It's an indispensable effect in my opinion. Finally, for volume boost, a MXR Micro Amp is great in the loop.

The Pedal Train boards are really nice. Very easy to wire neatly. When I took some time setting mine up, the noise of my system was noticeably reduced. I also like the voodoo labs power supply with it. One plug and I'm done, and it's neatly stowed.

If you are looking for a fast, accurate and easy to read tuner for the stage I strongly recommend the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. Fantastic tuner in my opinion.

Three pedals that will benefit any pedalboard:

a) BBE Sonic Stomp: for added clarity and punch.
b) ISP Noise Decimator: noise gate without tone sucking.
c) TC Electronic PolyTune: best tuner ever.

Instead of using gating to cope with the noise, I'm personally more in favour of making sure no noise enters the signal by using a proper power supply (with isolated grounds) such as the ones made by Voodoo Lab. and good cables like you can get from Bill Lawrence.
Some might say a proper power supply and good cables are expensive, but noisegates aren't exactly free either.

The DigiTech / HardWire HT-6 is superior to the TC Electronic Polytune. More options, faster response, better visibility and a more logical way of reading it. It's like reading tablature with horizontal strings instead of the illogical horizontal strings on the PolyTune.

An Ibanez Turbo Tubescreamer with Robert Keeley's TS9DX FLEXI-4X2 mod is a great pedal, not a shadow of a doubt about it. But are you sure you need that many options ? I once designed and build a germanium / silicon / hybrid treble or full range booster / Fuzz Face / Tone Bender. Just by that title, you can imagine what it looked like. Add to that some options for setting the bias, various tone controls to choose from and you have a mammoth of a "pedal" that looks more like something you'd normally find in a Soviet bomber.
All these different sounds were really nice to try but when it came to actually using that thing for serious playing, the germanium Tone Bender with proper bias and no tone control was the only setting I used. I bet even the lads at Beavis Audio would think it was "a bit much" and they're responsible for the Beavis FuzzLab !
Now, I know the Turbo Flexi isn't the creation of a mad scientist like the monstrosities that the lads at Beavis and I once made, but the question remains: do you need all those options ? If not and just one great sound is enough, then there are several evolutions of the Tube Screamer circuit that you might like even better.

The Maxon OD-820 Overdrive Pro and VOP-9 Vintage Overdrive Pro are both basically mixtures of the Klon Centaur and a Tube Screamer. They have the charge pump to make your pedal run at 18V (from a 9v input) for extra headroom and the clean blend of the Klon, but where the Klon then takes a rather crude hard clipping to ground (like the MXR Distortion+) these two Maxons put a somewhat more sophisticated circuitry of the Tube Screamer there. The clean blend is great, you just get such a more open and natural sound !

That brings me to another Tube Screamer circuitry with a clean blend, the T-Rex Møller. The aforementioned Klon and Maxons all use a dual pot to create a mix of clean and distorted sounds, the Møller has two separate pots for you to create your own blend.
On top of that, you get a cap-switch if you want to beef up some single coils and an extra pot and footswitch for a separate clean boost.

My last recommendation is an overdrive that was designed for bass, but sounds even better when used with a guitar, if you ask me. It's the Ibanez TS9B Bass Tube Screamer. It too has separate pots for clean and distorted signals (are you starting to see a pattern here ?) and instead of the rather limited single tone pot, a proper equalizer with bass and treble. Don't worry about it having too much low-end, that's not the case at all.

Now then lad, quite a read ! 8)

The reason for the Keeley TS9 is not so much the many features, but that is useful too, need that mid range hump for leads (not so much for gain/boost) and something that doesn't cut bass.

My view is that if its good enough for Vai/Petrucci then it can't be half bad.

BeYourself said:
The reason for the Keeley TS9 is not so much the many features, but that is useful too, need that mid range hump for leads (not so much for gain/boost) and something that doesn't cut bass.
Robert's mods remove most of the mid hump and nothing leaves your low end better intact than a pedal with the ability to blend dry and wet signals. Both Maxons I mentioned and the Møller also have less mids than the originals. Still ample to make one's solo stand out, but that big hump of a stock original that you seem to like so much isn't there.

If you're looking for a clean unity level tone sweetener, you may find there are plenty of stock Tube Screamer versions - and even more clones - that will do that.

Like different camel varieties, a hump is still a hump being it big or smaller than the original. Plus these are proven pedals from guitar gods.

Will look into the Maxon tho.

Back