g major noise gate help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneamongthefence

Reaction score
So I have been having issues with my gate on my g major lately. First, here is my scenario:

i have a tremoverb, gmajor in loop, out to mesa cab.
I use a gibson explorer with emg 81/85
Volume master is about 11 and channel master is noon.
Lately, band practice has just been murder. Every time there is a break in the song and i'm on my modern high gain channel i get mad unwanted squeals/hums. I've tried to resolve this by turning my gmajor noise gate up....but then either it begins cutting off my leads, or muffling up the channel alltogether.
I realize the gmajor's noise gate isn't a good gate, but that's what i got for now. I believe i have my threshold set to -23db right now with damp around 20 (these are numbers i'm pulling off the top of my head from our last practice when i messed with it) but i can't seem to find good setting where i dont get the squeals/hums on breaks and still lets my full sound come through during play. It's getting so bad that i'm having to use my volume pedal every time there's break in the song (which is terribly inconvenient, especially when a break may be 1 sec long).
Any suggestions on the settings?

How much gain & treble are you using? Part of the problem may be that you have your channel master at noon. That's alot of signal going to the FX Loop. If the squeal is as loud as the guitar signal you are never going to get any kind of gate to respond properly.

Also, is your FX Loop parallel or series? A parallel loop will not allow you to completly gate your signal.

Dom

Thanks for the response. As for the gain and treble, i think my gain is set to 3oclock and my treble not to sure (although i'm sure it's minimal cause i love the deep low end the mesas can do). The squeal isn't as loud as the guitar signal, it's just super noticable. And i have a series loop.
The thing is, it was working perfectly not too long ago, although i did give my tremoverb a complete tube overhaul and some of my settings got changed intransit to/from a show so i have been trying to get her back to normal.

FWIW i use a MXR smartgate in conjunction with my G-major 2, i find i can get a much cleaner sound using both, G-major in the loop and the smart gate in front of the amp.

It allows me to play pretty loud and not have the unwanted noise and feedback

I would also try swapping the original Loop tube with the one that is in there now.
Then, if that doesn't work, try swapping the original Phase Inverter tube with the one that is in there now.

I've had lots of new tubes that just sounded like *** or made tons of noise, right out of the box!

oneamongthefence said:
And i have a series loop.

Hi, are you sure about that? All the Rect-ish amps have a parralel FX loop and as I can see on the product page it's the same for the Tremoverb http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/Tremoverb/tremoverb.html
That could really be the point 'cause with a parallel loop any noise gate's useless (specially at hi-signal stages).

Latest posts

Back