MKIVb with MXR Noise Clamp in loop question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzlane

Reaction score
Just picked up a Noise Clamp and not quite sure how to hook it up, or if I can hook this up the way I would like. The manual doesn't address my "plan". The noise clamp has send/return jacks, and in/out jacks. Basically I would like to use the MKIV's effect loop in the Noise Clamp's send/return jacks for my compressor and delays, and also use the Clamp's guitar in/out to gate my wah/od that goes to MKIV's input. Hopefully my description of this makes sense. I know the MXR Noise Clamp is kinda' new, but was curious if anyone has tried one in the amp's loop and direct input jacks, and if so, how it was connected.

Thanks for any help...

With the Noise Clamp, you just run a simple setup:

Guitar -> Noise Clamp Input -> Amplifier's Input (via the Noise Clamp's Output)

You then have the option of doing the following:

Noise Clamp Send -> Wah -> Overdrive -> Noise Clamp Return

I do not believe you can do the four cable method with the Noise Clamp. That said, running a gate in front will kill a lot of the excess noise you experience with a high gain amplifier. Whenever I was running a boosted 6505, a Decimator right after the guitar in my signal chain was enough for tight starts/stops.

Rampage said:

I do not believe you can do the four cable method with the Noise Clamp. That said, running a gate in front will kill a lot of the excess noise you experience with a high gain amplifier. Whenever I was running a boosted 6505, a Decimator right after the guitar in my signal chain was enough for tight starts/stops.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. Maybe I won't need to put my Pigtronix compressor and delays in the Noise Clamp's loop? They're not excessively noisey anyway....we'll see.....

buzzlane said:
Rampage said:

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. Maybe I won't need to put my Pigtronix compressor and delays in the Noise Clamp's loop? They're not excessively noisey anyway....we'll see.....

Compressors and Delays aren't typically noisy pedals in my experience. You can always try it in the loop, but I have always had good experience from simply running one out front. Plus it's that much simpler to set up for gigs and practice.

topcat0399 said:
Why is your Mark IV so noisy?????

Mine is dead quiet. No need for a gate.

It's only noisy in the mid/high gain settings......Alot of hiss/hum, no feedback though. Rhy 1 is very quiet. Just picked up this MKIVb shorthead a month ago. It's a 2002 and is in immaculate condition. Virtually new....the guy I bought if from never used it. He estimated maybe 2 hours of use, so really can't be the tubes. Could the filter caps dry out from non-use? You would think I'd hear something on the clean settings too, if that was the case? Might just be my settings. I like a sustainy/smooth lead tone, so maybe that just goes with the territory? I only use OD pedal on the clean channel, and a boost pedal on all channels at different times. Have Pigtronix compressor and a couple delays in the loop. Comp adds a bit of noise, but it's not the culprit. Maybe just need to play with it some more.......?

buzzlane said:
topcat0399 said:

It's only noisy in the mid/high gain settings......Alot of hiss/hum, no feedback though. Rhy 1 is very quiet. Just picked up this MKIVb shorthead a month ago. It's a 2002 and is in immaculate condition. Virtually new....the guy I bought if from never used it. He estimated maybe 2 hours of use, so really can't be the tubes. Could the filter caps dry out from non-use? You would think I'd hear something on the clean settings too, if that was the case? Might just be my settings. I like a sustainy/smooth lead tone, so maybe that just goes with the territory? I only use OD pedal on the clean channel, and a boost pedal on all channels at different times. Have Pigtronix compressor and a couple delays in the loop. Comp adds a bit of noise, but it's not the culprit. Maybe just need to play with it some more.......?

Hmmm, not sure. I stopped using all off amp processing 10 years ago so I don't have that in the mix to deal with.

I don't have any hum and only get alot of hiss when the OUTPUT is run really really high. Most of the time my OUTPUT around "1" - maybe a little more (rarely). More than enough for most gigs in the clubs that we play.

How high do you run your output knob?

Ever try moving your preamp tubes around to see if theres a change?

Got a crappy signal cord somewhere?

It takes awhile to get to know a Mark IV - I hated mine at first.

You need to mess with it ALOT until you learn its character. Its worth it.

You need to mess with it ALOT until you learn its character. Its worth it.[/quote]

Wow, only 1? I've only played out once with it so far and I was at 5-6 on tweed/triode/simul/harmonics. Not that I'm full on very often, only for leads on the rock stuff. I use a vol. pedal too. Guess our stage volume is a bit hot :shock: I'm loving the MKIV already, just need to mess with it more, and even now I'm pretty sure I can safely say it's the best amp I've ever had. Came from a rack/midi rig, and just got tired of the whole mess of stuff ya' know. I forgot the beauty of a great amp all those years. The feel, tone, juicyness of the high gain modes....like I said....I'm loving it! Actually inspired again...!!!

I need to go thru my chain and add each pedal one at a time and see if it's something like a bad cable, or connection.

quote="topcat0399"]
buzzlane said:
topcat0399 said:

Hmmm, not sure. I stopped using all off amp processing 10 years ago so I don't have that in the mix to deal with.

I don't have any hum and only get alot of hiss when the OUTPUT is run really really high. Most of the time my OUTPUT around "1" - maybe a little more (rarely). More than enough for most gigs in the clubs that we play.

How high do you run your output knob?

Ever try moving your preamp tubes around to see if theres a change?

Got a crappy signal cord somewhere?

It takes awhile to get to know a Mark IV - I hated mine at first.

I use a Boss NS-2 with my Studio preamp using a 4-cable hookup:

Guitar -> Noise gate input

Noise gate 'Send' -> Tuner -> Wah -> Amp Input -> FX Out -> Pedals in loop (chorus, flanger etc. -> Noise Gate 'Return'

Noise gate 'Out'-> Amp FX return

This works fine for me!

r_cod_81 said:
I use a Boss NS-2 with my Studio preamp using a 4-cable hookup:

Guitar -> Noise gate input

Noise gate 'Send' -> Tuner -> Wah -> Amp Input -> FX Out -> Pedals in loop (chorus, flanger etc. -> Noise Gate 'Return'

Noise gate 'Out'-> Amp FX return

This works fine for me!

Tried your hookup with the Noise Clamp and it doesn't work. Must not be quite the same type of unit. Just got hum with no signal at all. It was worth a shot though.

Hmm, maybe a different set of connection requirements. I'd try just the noise clamp and MkIV head without the effects so thatyou can make sure the connections work (ie get a signal) then add all your other effects. Check the noise clamp's instructions too to see what should be connected to what.

r_cod_81 said:
Hmm, maybe a different set of connection requirements. I'd try just the noise clamp and MkIV head without the effects so thatyou can make sure the connections work (ie get a signal) then add all your other effects. Check the noise clamp's instructions too to see what should be connected to what.

It works if I hook it up as is stated in the instructions, but I can't get the effects in the MKIV's loop into the Noise Clamp. This is how I'm running it.
PRS >Noise Clamp input
Noise Clamp output > MKIV input
Noise Clamp send > Wah > Boss OD1 > Plexitone
Plexitone out > Noise Clamp Return

This works great for the OD/dist pedals. Completely quiets them. I only use them on the clean channel. Would be nice to get the effects (compressor,couple delays) in the NC too, but I guess I misunderstood the capabilities of the send/return on the NC. Most of the noise is the Pigtronix comp, which in my experience is typical of compressors...the delays are very quiet. I'll just live with it. In a live situation it's something I probably only hear... :?

Hey there, sonly just noticed I haven't replied to this! Sorry for the months of delay...

buzzlane said:
PRS >Noise Clamp input
Noise Clamp output > MKIV input
Noise Clamp send > Wah > Boss OD1 > Plexitone
Plexitone out > Noise Clamp Return

That works fine for all your effects in front of the amp but will not include those in the MkIV's loop (and any noise the MkIV may produce).

Try this:

Guitar -> Wah -> Noise clamp input.
Noise clamp Send -> OD1 -> Plextone -> MkIV input
MKIV FX loop Send -> any effects in the loop -> Noise Clamp Return
Noise clamp output -> MkIV FX return.

That should work. If you don't want any reverbs/ delays etc to be noise clamped (you can lose the ends of delay repeats) then stick them between the Nose Clamp output and the amp's FX return.

Also yeah; a compressor does add noise as you add compression, try and keep it aslow as you can get away with.

Hope that helps, sorry again I took ages to reply!

Back