G Major II Delay Volume too low!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing that there is a setting somewhere that I haven't found, but.......here is my problem:

I have a problem with all of my presets.
When I turn the delay on, there is a significant loss of volume from the amp.

Here is my setup:
97 PRS CE-24 or 02 McCarty
Clyde Deluxe Wah
BYOC OD-2
Planet Waves tuner pedal
into
Mesa Heartbreaker
G-Major 2 in the loop (loop is series)

All presets are set to 0 db output
All delay levels are set to 0 db
Input & Output knobs set in the middle

I'm using a Ground Control Pro for a footswitch.
It is set to "4 presets bank w/instant access."
I am using a button as a CC to turn the delay on and off.

On most presets, all effects are turned off and assigned to different CC buttons.

The loop on the Heartbreaker is pretty hot, so......G-Major input range is set to Pro because Consumer is just freakishly loud. When I use my other amps, I set it to Consumer.

The delay is lower in volume, no matter what other FX are turned on or off.
The delay is lower in volume, no matter what channel my amp is on.

I also just noticed that my Chorus does this on certain presets.

I'm guessing it's a setting somewhere that I couldn't find?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the GMajor.

Some settings or FXblocks etc. may not apply.

I run two amps in stereo.

Series loop mod on both amps.

Turns out that my amps were 180 degrees out of phase.

Once I flipped the switch on my JX-2 my GMajor and system in general was flawless and the increase in tone, FX, sonic integrity, and wall of sound was restored two fold.

My delay, for example, was shot on Dynamic and Ping Pong, however the Dual was somewhat o.k. Not only did I have a loss of delay signal of around 80% but it was distorted.

You can imagine my confusion.

During my LONG troubleshooting trials and tribulations, which included dismantling the GMajor and making sure all chips were properly seated and reloading software etc. I finally came to the piece of equipment (JX-2) that was responsible. Just started to flip all the options on the pedal to determine what if any had any effect. One at a time as not to confuse the situation I slowly flipped all the options in all the possible configurations I could think of. Finally I got to the "Phase" switch. It was set to 180 degrees. I strummed my guitar...crap. I flipped the switch to 0 degrees and the clouds in the sky opened up and sweet Angels looked down on my rig and smiled. It was as if I had a new rig, I mean this had been going on for months and I was at a point of just giving up and surrendering to the high price of a technician. I mean TC wanted $130.00 to fix the GMajor and no one knew if it was even broke.

Keep is simple and check each piece of equipment alone if applicable. In fact if you can just use the GMajor and amp with nothing else that would help a great deal. Isolate Brother, Isolate that is the key to finding the weak link.

Good luck and keep posting, I would be glad to help.

Don't think that ANY little thing is too small, because it isn't, everything in chain can contribute to failure.

Oh, by the way my first troubleshooting efforts led me down the tube path. I ended up retubing both Tremoverbs, at a cost of well over $500.00. They kinda needed it anyway, and I am loving my new non-Mesa tubes, but it turns out they were not the problem. I ended up with =C= 6L6 and EL34. I also went with Tung-Sol in V1 and JAN Philips in V6. All the rest are Mesa. In fact I am still rolling...kinda. I am thinking about the tone stack now.

Well anyway keep me posted and good luck.

Monsta-Tone said:
Think I have it figured out!

Yeah it is interesting how excess mix settings can drop out volume a little bit. I usually keep little bit of room in db output setting of an effects block to compensate for volume loss obtained by some of my programmed effects that have a lot of effects going on. Then i will later go through programmed effects and try to get a unison volume from all of them. Its nice that my amp has the balls to compensate for volume loss due to effects :D .
I hope you are enjoying your g major 2. I love mine it is an improvement from the first one thats for sure. I use to own the g major and the relay jack went on it and instead of fixing it i said what the hell i'll get the new one. I don't know how you went about familiarizing yourself with yours, but what helped me learn about mine with regards to what is was capable of (this is how i learned about the g major as well) was i went through all of my preset effects and ranked them 1 to 5 5 being the best, in both clean and dirty channels, based on what my ear liked. then I went through all of the settings of an individual effect that my ear was gravitating to to see what was going on inside the preset. If i wasn't sure how a particular setting inside of a preset was affecting the overall presets sound I would adjust the knob excessively just so I could try to hear what was going on. After doing this research I started to create my own effects. **** its fun playing with effects sometimes. Its even more fun just playing :lol: Don't mean to be going off on a tangent, but last night was the first time I had played my electric for about a month (had to take a break because i was doing a big roofing job and my hands were a little sore) , but now the hands are feeling great. Just trying to remember all the new stuff I had learned just prior to taking a break. I was scarred i was going to forget, but it all started coming back :D
keep rockin :!:

Right on! Thanks for the info.
I ended up selling it though.
I got a Flashback Delay and had it dialed in less than 10 seconds.
Ended up selling the G-Major.
They emailed me with instructions on how to get a Modulated Delay sound.
The thing is, if you advertise a product as having a certain thing, that certain thing should be easy to get to.
I design & program smart homes for a living. I don't want to program my sounds. I am realizing that I'm more of a plug in and play guy these days.......

Latest posts

Back