Nova System or G-Major II?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I know this gets asked a lot, but now it's my turn.

Nova System or G-Major II?
All pros and cons.

Sure the G II is better, but then I need a rack and a midi pedal.

The manual pretty much says it can't, but can the Nova System do the 4 cable method?

I have both. For a rack setup with a switching system like an RG-16, I prefer the G-major 2. The nova system cannot do the for cable method. If you want to use the drive, you have use the guitar input, which means all other effects, like delay and reverb, will be before distortion. Use the line input, and reverbs and delyas (and all the other effects) will be in the loop post distotion, and you loose the drive. Both have great effects, and i find the nova system a little easier to use. Also, you don't need a midi pedal with the nova system. In spite of these features I still prefer the G-major. The G-major will work better with a parallel effects loop because it has a killdry feature, and the Nova system does not. The Nova system also does not have an on/off switch, which I find annoying at times. The nova system also has a power cord, you will most likely havevto run a long power cord to the unit. What else can i tell you?

Thanks! :D
I've actually owned both and sold both. I thought I would like to simplify things and use just a few pedals, but more and more, I find myself wanting more effects and the ability to have multiple combinations without having to tap dance!

I also had the G-System for a short while, but found that it was a little much for my needs.

MT, I know your not asking for other options but I won't let that stop me. :mrgreen: For an easy affordable setup you could go with a used Boss GT-10 and Nova Drive. GT-10 drives are ok but I like the ND because it's analog with digital control and midi. The GT's effects are decent too and I find quite acceptable for gigging and it can change amp channels. Everything in one neat package.

Are there rock bands in Hawaii or are you in playing luaus and pig roasts on the beach? May not be a bad gig.

PedalBoard.jpg

:lol: There are many rock bands out here! We don't get to play Luaus until Bob Rock starts producing us! :lol:

I actually was thinking about the Boss unit! I will look up a manual right now to see where the connections are and if there is enough room for my wah on my board.

How many relays does it have?
Are there any glitches between presets?
Can you turn off individual effects and use the Bank buttons for preset changes?
Does the delay spill over?
Can one of the CTL buttons be used for Tap Tempo?

Years ago (about 15), I used a Roland GP-100. The processor part and the seamless patch changes were years ahead of their time. The preamp part sucked *** though. I used it with an ADA MP-1 or a Marshall preamp, but it was a ***** to program everything since the whole idea of the Roland was to be the preamp.

Monsta-Tone said:
:lol: There are many rock bands out here! We don't get to play Luaus until Bob Rock starts producing us! :lol:

I actually was thinking about the Boss unit! I will look up a manual right now to see where the connections are and if there is enough room for my wah on my board.

Can you turn off individual effects and use the Bank buttons for preset changes?

Years ago (about 15), I used a Roland GP-100. The processor part and the seamless patch changes were years ahead of their time. The preamp part sucked *** though. I used it with an ADA MP-1 or a Marshall preamp, but it was a ***** to program everything since the whole idea of the Roland was to be the preamp.

I'll try best I can to answer your questions.

How many relays does it have? - If you mean for channel changing it unfortunately only has 1.

Are there any glitches between presets? - Zero glitches between presets. Smooth and fast.

Can you turn off individual effects and use the Bank buttons for preset changes? - There are a couple of ways to do this. I added 2 additional CTL switches for more flexibility. You can run patch or manual mode. Patch you change to whatever patch you want to use. Within that patch you can turn on/off effects with the 2 built in CTL1 & CTL2 switches or buy 2 addition like me and control 4. The cool thing is you can program each switch to control up to 8 functions at one press. Really 9 with CTL1 & 2 but I'll skip that for now. In manual mode it works like a stomp box. You can program a patch to operate in manual mode so you have all your foot switches for controlling different effects like a traditional pedal board.

Does the delay spill over? - There is a setting that will allow this. On the GT it's called Patch Change Mode. See page 68 of the manual.

Can one of the CTL buttons be used for Tap Tempo? - Yes.

Mine is a pretty simple setup though you can get very elaborate with all the routing and control available. I have 8 core patches that all utilize CTL1 for delay, CTL2 for chorus, tremolo, CTL3 tap tempo, CTL4 for solo boosts. Pressing my CTL4 for a boost turns on post EQ for a volume bump, maybe pre EQ with a mid hump to push the front end of the amp, turn on delay or if delay is on I might want to increase the feedback or level of the effect for the solo only. You can also assign the amp control to change channels if you want your amps lead channel. There are too many options to list here.

The preamps on the GT don't work for me though I do mess with them from time to time hoping some magic will occur that make them sound great. Coming from the tube amp world, using a cheap modeler like this is very disappointing. But, I do have a couple of patches for direct playing using amp models in case my Mesa takes a crap for the night so it's a nice backup to have.

I forgot to mention that I run the 4CM. My snake handles all connections including channel changing and supplying DC power to the pedal board. I also have an extra lead with a tip ring sleeve in case I ever need to hookup my amp's footswitch.

Well, crap!
Now I'm even more confused! The only drawbacks to living on an island would be that I cannot simply go and try stuff and shipping is a mother!
The best part is that the women are in bikinis year round, so that's gotta be worth something! :lol:

How easy is it to bypass all of the modelling stuff? I would never use the preamp unless it's late at night.
How do you think the delays and chorus compare to the TC stuff?

I do really like the price, but I would almost need to use my amp's footswitch as well since I built a mid/solo boost into it.

Also, how do you like the solo boost on the GT?

And.....finally, where can I find a snake with 4 to 6 1/4" cables for relatively little?

Girls in bikinis is always a good thing and worth the price of admission!

As for bypassing modeling, it is so easy and flexible it's crazy. First when building a patch you just don't turn on the amp sims. Now, there are 2 paths you can use for effects and amp sims, if you use them, and you can assign a switch to change from path (amp) A to B or you can set it up to run at once in parallel. It's hard to explain but you can turn of amp sims for channel A and B, it's called setting it Through, but put effects in the A and/or B chain and toggle between the two paths within one patch. Better look at the manual. Within one patch I can have amp sims off using my Mesa but with the press of a button I can reroute everything to where I'm using the GT-10 amp sims for a passage, change channels on my amp, brew a cup of tea. Well not quite but close.

The TC delays I'm told are very good but I don't know how they compare. I suspect that they may be a little better simply because they have a good reputation for their delays. However, many users state that they think the GT delays are very good too. The chorus is fine to me but I use it sparingly. If you want to tell me what you want to hear I can record something to demo certain effects if you want.

Of course you can use your amp's foot switch for solo boosts. The only thing is if you use the GT to boost for solos you can turn on what ever else you want to go with the solo at the press of a button. The GT doesn't have a dedicated solo switch. You can just dedicate one CTL button to solos and use it in all patches.

As for the snake, that was made for me by a friend in the audio/video business. He has a big spool of snake cable and a box of jacks. There are snakes make for recording studios that are around 16 feet but I'm not sure what ends they have. If I didn't have my buddy to do it I would have just bought the cable and ends I needed and do it myself. I couldn't have bought off the shelf a snake with leads having 6 straight 1/4", 1 straight ring,tip sleeve at one end and right angel on the other and 2 DC power. By my amp I have a 2 space rack with my wireless and power where among other things is a transformer to power the GT that runs through the snake. Makes for a very clean stage and only one 1/2" thick cable run.

You can get the manual here: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/_support/om.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=3420&iStcd=4

Good luck with the hunt.

FYI, most people that bash the GT are bashing the amp modeling. People that use it 4CM with their tube amps seem satisfied.

Monsta-Tone said:
: :?:

Since you had the G-major 2, you know it will do all of these things with no problem, and it has two relays. Coupled with a good midi controller, like the RJM Mastermind, you can access every effect like a stompbox. The Mastermind has an instant access mode that allows you to access each individual effect on the G-msjor 2.
If we are allowing other options, then i would think about Eventide pedals. The are fantastic.

Back