The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The reverb
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:29 am 
Mark IV

Hey dudes, what about doing a thread about the most classical efect of all times: the reverb
We could discuss our favorites reverbs and our personals setups, also our likes with that classical effect.
So go on, who wants to begin???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:39 pm 
Mark II

A long time ago I saw this guy named Steve Samuals play. He is a blues player and he plays left handed. He is a special guy since part of his right arm is missing and he picks with what is basically a nub after his right elbow. He played blues style and he had fantastic tone. I read an interview with him where he said that the key to his tone was his old Fender outboard reverb. I vowed then and there to get one. This was pre-ebay times and Fender wasn't making them. Then along comes Peavey with the Valverb. I bought one and have used it ever since. It is nice that it fits in a single rack space. I don't leave home without it. Not long ago I drug out my original reverb springs for my MkIII and A/B'd them against the Valverb. The Valverb won hands down. There was really no comparison. If you can come across one, I recommend the Valverb. It also has Tremolo (though mine causes a slight volume drop. View my Rig in the Rig's section to see where I mention my switched in pre-amp to handle the volume drop.)
Anyhoo... the Valverb can do slight reverb to Surf City without any problems. I love it. I have freaked out some hardcore rockabilly cats with my tone on occasion. They are expecting a Fender rig and they see that it is a MkIII Boogie with a Valverb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:18 am 
Mark IV

yeah analog reverbs are superb.
about one year ago I do my own analog reverb I take an accutronics tank and implemented all the circuitry included a tube booster preamp, it also has a low pass and high pass filter 1 order ( 6dB/oct) and a simply compressor I racked it into a 2 spaces rack, it was my biggest diy project, it is still unfinished because I´m looking to improve it.
But the classical reverb tank is the best reverb I ever heard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:53 am 
Donating Member

I like the sound of an analog reverb as well...The digital stuff has a cold and audibly modulated sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:26 am 
Mark II

Another Valverb fan here. I almost always leave the reverb and tremolo on and just use the effects loop to turn it on and off. Also I got lucky and don't have the volume drop issue. It's a great sounding reverb and tremolo.

X-1 the volume drop thing is fixable by the way.
http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/pea ... alverb.txt

Post subject: Re: The reverb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:04 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hi you guys, first post here!
I'm reviving this thread as I tried the optocoupler fix...and it had zero effect on the volume drop. :-(
Here's the schematic if any body has a suggestion as to what area of the circuit would target the tremolo volume drop, which is pretty significant.
http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schema ... ALVERB.gif
V1 on the schematic is the 12ax7 that's tied to the tremolo but swapping tubes here had no effect.
Anybody have a suggestion?

Post subject: Re: The reverb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:34 pm 
Donating Member

You may get better results at the link below... Larger number of readers, more diverse experience:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11

|| McCarty | Les Paul | Custom 24 ||
|| Cantrell Wah | Rotovibe | Phase 90 | Grid Slammer ||
|| Triple Crown 50 | Recto 2x12/4x12 ||

|| Jazz Bass | Bass Strategy | PH410 ||