The reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy135

Reaction score
Hey dudes, what about doing a thread about the most classical efect of all times: the reverb
We could discuss our favorites reverbs and our personals setups, also our likes with that classical effect.
So go on, who wants to begin???

A long time ago I saw this guy named Steve Samuals play. He is a blues player and he plays left handed. He is a special guy since part of his right arm is missing and he picks with what is basically a nub after his right elbow. He played blues style and he had fantastic tone. I read an interview with him where he said that the key to his tone was his old Fender outboard reverb. I vowed then and there to get one. This was pre-ebay times and Fender wasn't making them. Then along comes Peavey with the Valverb. I bought one and have used it ever since. It is nice that it fits in a single rack space. I don't leave home without it. Not long ago I drug out my original reverb springs for my MkIII and A/B'd them against the Valverb. The Valverb won hands down. There was really no comparison. If you can come across one, I recommend the Valverb. It also has Tremolo (though mine causes a slight volume drop. View my Rig in the Rig's section to see where I mention my switched in pre-amp to handle the volume drop.)
Anyhoo... the Valverb can do slight reverb to Surf City without any problems. I love it. I have freaked out some hardcore rockabilly cats with my tone on occasion. They are expecting a Fender rig and they see that it is a MkIII Boogie with a Valverb.

yeah analog reverbs are superb.
about one year ago I do my own analog reverb I take an accutronics tank and implemented all the circuitry included a tube booster preamp, it also has a low pass and high pass filter 1 order ( 6dB/oct) and a simply compressor I racked it into a 2 spaces rack, it was my biggest diy project, it is still unfinished because I´m looking to improve it.
But the classical reverb tank is the best reverb I ever heard

Another Valverb fan here. I almost always leave the reverb and tremolo on and just use the effects loop to turn it on and off. Also I got lucky and don't have the volume drop issue. It's a great sounding reverb and tremolo.

X-1 the volume drop thing is fixable by the way.
http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/peavey/modnotes/valverb.txt

Hi you guys, first post here!
I'm reviving this thread as I tried the optocoupler fix...and it had zero effect on the volume drop. :-(
Here's the schematic if any body has a suggestion as to what area of the circuit would target the tremolo volume drop, which is pretty significant.
http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/images/VALVERB.gif
V1 on the schematic is the 12ax7 that's tied to the tremolo but swapping tubes here had no effect.
Anybody have a suggestion?

You may get better results at the link below... Larger number of readers, more diverse experience:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Latest posts

Back