Need info on a Thomas organ wah

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzerza

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a Thomas organ wah from a local guy who wants to trade me for a couple mic stands but I'm trying to find out some info about the wah before getting it. I see some go for $30 and some for $200. All have been Thomas organs from both California and Chicago. I read about 2 different inductors... The tdk 5103 and the 03 stack o dimes. Not sure if this is the $$$ difference or if one is better???? The one I'm looking at is from Chicago but I haven't seen what's on the inside yet.
What should I be looking for? Any info on this pedal would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Jeff

I was looking through some old topics and I saw this one. I know it is a year, plus, since the post but I have both kinds of wah pedals and would post some pictures if you needed them for reference.

Late reply. I figured you figured this out by now, but Thomas Organ made the original Crybaby, Vox's US importer had them making the Vox wah with the same CB in it, then Thomas went out of buisiness and was bought out by Dunlop and Vox had to start making their own wahs. Minus revisions over the years, Thomas wahs, early Vox wahs and basic Dunlop wahs are pretty much the same wah.

There is an -awesome- video that Dunlop spent like a year making with all sorts of people about the history of the wah.

One very important factor when it comes to deciding based on money is that Fear is totally right. Unless it's a VOX wah made in Italy (a very narrow time band before they reunited), every single Thomas, Dunlop, and VOX are totally identical circuits. The only tone difference will be the inductor and age/wear. The only reason that VOX wahs had to be made as VOX's, was because certain companies had brand loyalty and would only distribute either one or the other product in their stores.

Lemme see if I can't find that video...

edit: http://vimeo.com/20902369

long and huge video!

Back