MXR 6 band eq

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREC

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a eq pedal for my dual rec but cant decide on a 6 band or a 10 band MXR.

Theres heaps on here about the 10 band, any one using a 6 band.

Cheers

I have it and it's pretty good. If I were to buy again I'd probably get 10 band because it has more clean headroom with 18V operation. I'm using it after a hot tube preamp which overdrives it with volume over 1/2. Other than that, I'm not sure that 10 band vs 6 band EQ is important to me. Also, 10 band has volume/gain sliders IIRC which 6 band doesn't. Isn't important to me, but maybe is to you.
Cheers

There's only one battery door, so you can't use two batteries. As for the dc adapter, it says 9VDC. I don't wanna risk to burn it, it's a PITA to fix since it's SMD.... although there's a chance it would work.

Cheers

I got my 6 band yesterday. I like it a lot better than he 10 band. I had the Sniper mod installed on my 10 band but I don't think it really helped much. I liked the bands and the usefulness of it, but mine was noisy because the 10 band has input and output gain knobs.

I like the 6 band better. It's cheaper, passive, quiet, well built, and has the right bands/notches to be useful for guitar. It's the last thing going in before the 5E3, but I've also had luck using it in the fx loop on my Mesa.

bancika said:
how do you mean passive?

I was just using that term to refer to the fact that the 6 band has no input or output gain sliders like the 10 band has. Seems like all the noise in my 10 band came from having those two additional gain sliders on each side of the eq section..... on the 6 band there are only the eq notch sliders, with no additional gain controls. Probably not technically "passive" but I was hoping my point would come across....

There are many reports of it being both ways, many dead quiet, many super noisy, I got a super noisy one, tons of hiss when the gain was boosted even slightly. Sniper mod didn't fix it so I switched to the 6 band. If you got a quiet one consider yourself lucky.

are you using it with a battery or dc adapter? I find my 6 band to be dead quiet with battery but noisy with adapter.

I have not tried the 6 band but have the 10 on my board and it is awesome. It really beefs up the third channel, I also love having the volume and gain controls. Mine is also dead quiet if that was a factor in your decision.

My 10 band is also quiet, though I don't use it much anymore since I ditched my Roadster for a Mark V.

i run a 6 band in the loop of my dual and its quite as can be..like it alot better then my old 10 band.

Used to run a 10 band in the loop of my Marshall - if you set it like the manual says (gain as high as possible without clipping, volume to unity when loop=off) it's quiet as it can be - other way around, not really, especially pushing the front.

Love it but I haven't been using it much lately, with the band at least. Still use it at home for shits and giggles and Slayer. Not sure how the 6 band is in terms of tone shaping vs the 10 band, since I only own the latter.

soundchaser59 said:
There are many reports of it being both ways, many dead quiet, many super noisy, I got a super noisy one, tons of hiss when the gain was boosted even slightly. Sniper mod didn't fix it so I switched to the 6 band. If you got a quiet one consider yourself lucky.
Was it noisy in the loop or just when it was before the preamp? I'm looking at getting one to carve out a better spot in the band mix for my amp and I was planning on running it in my fx loop.

Back