AXE FXers please chime in......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laskyman

Reaction score
Been researching the Axe FX lately- a lot- and I am way impressed with the possibilities...Any of you use this thing live- as your complete rig? Seems this really could be a giant slayer....
Do you find yourself playing more with the Axe than with the amp?
If you use the Axe as a stand-alone, do you use power amp-gab, or a FRFR with actives?
I am curious to hear some positives and negatives from real Mesa players......

Thanks in advance-
I am afraid that if I go this route at some point- it would require a bunch of gear turning.....

I just discovered these myself. I found some speakers on CL and when I went to this guys house to buy them he demo'd them for me through an Axe Fx. VERY clear and studio-like tone straight out of the unit through a ss power amp. I'm starting to consider one.

I'm looking at them too. They have a forum in case you haven't come across it yet:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/index.php

OK, I have 2 Mark IV's, a Mark V and a Studio 22+. I also have an Axe FX Ultra. I have run the gambit, from Mark IV's as my main rig with a pair of 4X12 Marshall cabinets, then down to a single 2X12 EarCandy cab. Also, played the Mark IV with a TC Electronics G System for effects and switching. Then, the Axe came to my home. I have been pretty much loving on this thing for the last year or so. I have played multiple gigs with it. At first, it was Axe with a VHT 2/50/2 power amp and the 2x12 cab from EarCandy. Great, I mean GREAT tone!! I guess I went this route first, because I was so used to the amp+cab set-up. Then, I began to experiment with going direct to the board from the Axe. All I can say is, WOW!! Once you tweak your Axe for this type of application, it really can't be beat. Virtually 10 minutes of set-up at the gig!!! Really!!! One midi cable from the Axe to my foot controller, volume pedal plugs into the foot controller, 2 XLR's running to the board from the Axe and you can go have some dinner :mrgreen: Watch the other guys get their gear finished.

Now, the only catch, IMO, is it does take some time to coax the sweetest of tones out of the Axe. But, that said, I have spent untold hours with my Mark IV's, getting the sounds I loved to burst out! There also is a depth to the Axe, that takes a bit of time to embrace fully. I don't think I have even scratched the surface of its capabilities. Dweezil Zappa has been using a pair of Ultras and he has been posting now and then on the Axe forum. Actually, a bunch of pretty big names are getting into the Axe. We will undoubtedly see some Axe recordings showing up very soon, if there aren't already.

Most recently, I have acquired a Mark V and have been using the Axe as effects only, 4 cable method, so effects are in front of the amp and in the loop. I really want to play with the Mark V for a while, ya' know. I did one gig this way and it sounded fantastic! So, I will do a few more and tweak things more and who knows. The effects are super high quality, so there is no problem there.

I will probably lean toward the Axe as sole unit again, after I get sick of lugging the amps+cabs around. It will be fun for a while, then I will eventually do some side by side sound comparisons with the Axe and the Mark V to see if I can't reproduce the tones. Now that I think about it, Fractal Audio, Cliff, has been doing regular firmware updates since the Axe appeared. He will most likely get a hold of a Mark V and include it in a future firmware update. Then the Mark V will be available INSIDE the Axe.

I have the Mark V at the rehearsal studio, so this evening I was playing and tweaking the Axe a bit. The Axe is far and away the sweetest piece of gear I have bought in a while, in terms of bang for your buck. I can't really say anything bad about it. IT REALLY ROCKS!! I guess everyone will have their own opinion of any piece of gear, so don't take my word for it, get one and try it out for yourself. Best of all, if you don't like it, you probably won't have any trouble selling it, they are going like hotcakes these days. Hope this helps a bit, remember, have fun!!!

Dammit!!! I cant afford to buy one outright right now so I have to decide if I want to flip my Mark IV to get one.

I've been GASsing a lot for the AFX Ultra and after doing much research I couldn't make up my mind. They have a 2 week return policy and I decided to get one to try out. It should be home in the next few days and I will share my experiences here.

Regarding big name players having the AFX in their rig, Petrucci has one in his rig and there's a video of it as well.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8592
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9321&start=0

cheers,
Supreeth

WillPlayForFood said:
OK, I have 2 Mark IV's, a Mark V and a Studio 22+. I also have an Axe FX Ultra. I have run the gambit, from Mark IV's as my main rig with a pair of 4X12 Marshall cabinets, then down to a single 2X12 EarCandy cab. Also, played the Mark IV with a TC Electronics G System for effects and switching. Then, the Axe came to my home. I have been pretty much loving on this thing for the last year or so. I have played multiple gigs with it. At first, it was Axe with a VHT 2/50/2 power amp and the 2x12 cab from EarCandy. Great, I mean GREAT tone!! I guess I went this route first, because I was so used to the amp+cab set-up. Then, I began to experiment with going direct to the board from the Axe. All I can say is, WOW!! Once you tweak your Axe for this type of application, it really can't be beat. Virtually 10 minutes of set-up at the gig!!! Really!!! One midi cable from the Axe to my foot controller, volume pedal plugs into the foot controller, 2 XLR's running to the board from the Axe and you can go have some dinner :mrgreen: Watch the other guys get their gear finished.

Now, the only catch, IMO, is it does take some time to coax the sweetest of tones out of the Axe. But, that said, I have spent untold hours with my Mark IV's, getting the sounds I loved to burst out! There also is a depth to the Axe, that takes a bit of time to embrace fully. I don't think I have even scratched the surface of its capabilities. Dweezil Zappa has been using a pair of Ultras and he has been posting now and then on the Axe forum. Actually, a bunch of pretty big names are getting into the Axe. We will undoubtedly see some Axe recordings showing up very soon, if there aren't already.

Most recently, I have acquired a Mark V and have been using the Axe as effects only, 4 cable method, so effects are in front of the amp and in the loop. I really want to play with the Mark V for a while, ya' know. I did one gig this way and it sounded fantastic! So, I will do a few more and tweak things more and who knows. The effects are super high quality, so there is no problem there.

I will probably lean toward the Axe as sole unit again, after I get sick of lugging the amps+cabs around. It will be fun for a while, then I will eventually do some side by side sound comparisons with the Axe and the Mark V to see if I can't reproduce the tones. Now that I think about it, Fractal Audio, Cliff, has been doing regular firmware updates since the Axe appeared. He will most likely get a hold of a Mark V and include it in a future firmware update. Then the Mark V will be available INSIDE the Axe.

I have the Mark V at the rehearsal studio, so this evening I was playing and tweaking the Axe a bit. The Axe is far and away the sweetest piece of gear I have bought in a while, in terms of bang for your buck. I can't really say anything bad about it. IT REALLY ROCKS!! I guess everyone will have their own opinion of any piece of gear, so don't take my word for it, get one and try it out for yourself. Best of all, if you don't like it, you probably won't have any trouble selling it, they are going like hotcakes these days. Hope this helps a bit, remember, have fun!!!
Can you give me a description of you are exactly running cables to get the 4 cable method with your axefx, and does it control your amp switching to??
Ideally I would only want to use it for fx and use my amp for its drive tones, Actually dont want ANY modeling at ALL. this might not be the best unit for this, but i am seeing alot of this being used...

Rezamatix said:
WillPlayForFood said:

Can you give me a description of you are exactly running cables to get the 4 cable method with your axefx, and does it control your amp switching to??
Ideally I would only want to use it for fx and use my amp for its drive tones, Actually dont want ANY modeling at ALL. this might not be the best unit for this, but i am seeing alot of this being used...

I just picked up an Axe Ultra this past weekend and it is an awesome piece of gear. I am currently running it through the power sections of my mark IV and Satellite through a couple mesa recto cabs with great results. My last practice over the weekend, I never even used the Mark IV pre amp. This thing is really a lot of fun and very impressive to say the least. I have to say that I was surprisingly blown away with the results. I purchased the Axe basically for the effects and was very skeptical in regards to the simulated pre amps, but I was wrong, believe the hype.
Now keep in mind that I am not saying that it is better than the Mesa pre amp, but it is very useful with lots of tone options and definitely holds it's own.............
IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

hazbin said:
I just picked up an Axe Ultra this past weekend and it is an awesome piece of gear. I am currently running it through the power sections of my mark IV and Satellite through a couple mesa recto cabs with great results. My last practice over the weekend, I never even used the Mark IV pre amp. This thing is really a lot of fun and very impressive to say the least. I have to say that I was surprisingly blown away with the results. I purchased the Axe basically for the effects and was very skeptical in regards to the simulated pre amps, but I was wrong, believe the hype.
Now keep in mind that I am not saying that it is better than the Mesa pre amp, but it is very useful with lots of tone options and definitely holds it's own.............
IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

That is some rig... you have just about every ground covered there.

Axe-FX looks like a very good and powerful unit, but that little screen and menus would drive me absolutely crazy after about 10 minutes. I hate navigating page after page in some crazy menu to adjust parameters. Give me some simple knobs to turn. I went from a Triaxis and GMajor to a Rectoverb and pedalboard, and now I'm running a Mark IV and pedalboard. I've tried out a POD X3 and a Boss GT10. One stomp preset changes are nice, but I still prefer having knobs and separate effects. Having all those different effects is cool, but after a while is seems like more of a novelty. I just don't use many effects anymore. I'm shooting for a more simple rig and sound these days.

Hazbin, I feel for you having to haul all that stuff around. I bet it sounds amazing though. There's nothing quite like standing in front of a wall of speakers like that. However, I'll stick with my head and pair of 1x12 thieles.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting the axe-fx to make things easier for me. Its only as complicated as you want it to be, has everything "in house" as far as amps, effects, cabs, speakers, no need to lug a cabinet to a gig with a pa, same tone everytime, same tone every volume, no tube problems, same price new as a used Mark IV, plus I'll never ever have the money to have a full stable of Mesas, Diezels, Engls, Soldanos, and the other 40 amps in there. Tweaking amps is like alcohol, great fun but you have to know when to stop! :lol:

hazbin said:
I purchased the Axe basically for the effects and was very skeptical in regards to the simulated pre amps, but I was wrong,

awsome rig man!!!

Seeing that you initially purchased the Axe basically for the effects initially was it something you were planning on using in conjuction with your G-force or was it something you were planning on replacing your g-force with. The reason i ask is because i am considering one of these two processors in my rig and was wondering if "you" thought one or the other sounded more transparent "solely from an effects standpoint" when used in either of your Mark head's LOOPs???

Thanks

Hey Hazbin, have you A/B'd the Mark IV setting in the axe-fx to the real thing yet? This is the transition I'm going to make soon and was curious as to how close the two are.

im a former mark iv owner and a current axe fx ultra owner. i cant say enough good things about the axe. axe can nail the mkiv and now ive got another favorite channel running a modded ts808 into a 2 channel recto (all in the axe mind you). it does as much or as little as you need it to

ryjan said:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)

The Axe is a far better processor than the G force IMO....

surferdeac said:
hazbin said:
I purchased the Axe basically for the effects and was very skeptical in regards to the simulated pre amps, but I was wrong,

awsome rig man!!!

Seeing that you initially purchased the Axe basically for the effects initially was it something you were planning on using in conjuction with your G-force or was it something you were planning on replacing your g-force with. The reason i ask is because i am considering one of these two processors in my rig and was wondering if "you" thought one or the other sounded more transparent "solely from an effects standpoint" when used in either of your Mark head's LOOPs???

Thanks

The way that I have the axe set up, using the power section from the marks and through the mesa cabinets, Mesa pre amp sounds much better than the Axe Mark IV setting, but I am not using the Axe in the way it was intended to be used. The biggest problem so far that I am having is that when you run the mark pre amp through the Axe's fx loop, there is a major hiss issue, so bad that I am only using the Axe for fx's though the Marks fx loop. I hope to find a resolution to the hiss issue soon. If not, it will be my fx processor only for now, at least in this rig.

ryjan said:
Hey Hazbin, have you A/B'd the Mark IV setting in the axe-fx to the real thing yet? This is the transition I'm going to make soon and was curious as to how close the two are.

First my boogie pedigree:

Several Mark III's, several mark IV's, quad preamp, studio 22, rectoverb, nomad (disclaimer: nomad for three hours before returning), lots of cabinets (combos, thieles, rectos, trads, halfbacks, 3/4 backs, etc. ad nauseum), triaxis, 20:20, 50:50, probably some more but I can't remember. No mark I or IIC but a good buddy has each. I love the company and their products and I'll always have one around.

Live, I was a die-hard triaxis user for more than 15 years, from the early 90's until.... I got my axe-fx. It's really, really, really that good. The guy who designed it was a triaxis user, and he is the modern-day Tom Scholz, a guitarist who knew what he wanted and built it himself. He didn't just model amps, he modeled the individual components and built the amps inside the thing. It is utterly amazing in terms of the tactile sensation, you can feel the (simulated) power amp sag when you hit a note harder.

I did a review on the fractal forum in which I plugged my triaxis into one channel of my mesa 50:50 and the axe-fx into the other, ran them into identical cabinets, and a/b'd for a few hours. There were a few things I couldn't exactly duplicate, but for most of the triaxis modes, I could get to the point where I absolutely could not tell the difference. Other things were very, very close. When I added my TC effects processor to the triaxis, the effects in the axe smoked it. And of course there are all kinds of fender, marshall, and assorted boutique sounds in the axe-fx that the triaxis won't do.

Special info for those of you who like midi rigs:

1. Seamless preset changes
2. Delay and reverb spillover.
3. Global tap tempos (on or off per patch). So you can tap a delay tempo and it follows you thru patch changes.
4. Programmable harmonizer.
5. Did I mention delay and reverb spillover????
6. Seven-pin midi cable/phantom power jack like the triaxis.
7. Weighs very little.
8. Sounds great direct thru the board.
9. Separate direct and stage rig volume controls, and you can set it up to have cabinet emulation to the board and bypass it to you power amp and stage speakers, sort of like the recording outs on the triaxis.
10. Ungodly good tone, not only mesa tones but all kinds of other tones from Dr. Z to Diezel to you name it.
11. Multiple continuous controller and virtual switch channels, with gazillions of cc-controllable parameters (with no zipper effect).
12. Internal cc wah that actually works.

The "little window" does not drive me nuts at all. The thing is **** easy to navigate. I'll always have one sweet tube amp around, but this thing eats the lunch of everything I've ever owned in terms of having lots of sounds at my feet.

I hate to be such a cheerleader, but you asked. :) It's the bomb for anyone who wants a gazillion sounds without pedal dancing and is getting tired of hauling heavy tube gear. Having said that, if you only need a few basic sounds, you should go with a sweet tube amp that does what you need.

Latest posts

Back