Guitar and bass FX discussion

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Roadifier
Mark III

Re: Post your pedalboard

Post by Roadifier » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:45 am

MesaENGR412 wrote:
Roadifier wrote:
Hey, I hae a question. are you using the Din connector for switching the amp channels with the Voodlabs control switcher?
Hey man, I am actually using the external switching jacks on the back of the heads.
I bought a set of 8 short cables from american musical supply and just hooked them up four and four. The new Rects only have
4 external jacks, and CH 1 is default, so it works perfectly since the Control Switchers only have four controls a piece. Since Channel 2 is default on the older heads, I would imagine that when using the external jacks, it would not be necessary to connect anything to channel 2's external jack, and when nothing is selected on the Control Switcher, then it would go automatically to channel 2. Just a guess though.

-AJH
thanks for sharing! I think I will get two of those sometime, they would help out with my rig a lot! :D

pegagos
Mark II

Post by pegagos » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Here is my pedalboard:

I just ordered the TC Electronics Flashback delay. It will replace the carbon copy.

Mesa Boogie Mark IV Widebody Combo w/ c90
Mesa Boogie 1x12 Vintage Cab w/ c90
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Maxon OD808
TC Flashback delay
TC Hall of Fame reverb
Pedaltrain 1
Voodoolab Pedal Power 2

cheameup
Mark III

Post by cheameup » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:40 pm

fuzzy phone photo

thejay
Mark IV

Post by thejay » Sat May 21, 2011 12:44 pm

My board -
Current Mesa - Dual Rectifier, Lonestar Special, Mark V, TC50
Former Mesas - Roadster, ROV 50 Combo, Stiletto ACE, Mini Rect
Orange/Fender/Marshall/Vox Amps -- Gibson/Fender Guitars -- Strymon/Dunlop/Boss

http://www.exactzer0.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/thejay

adewsuisse
Bottle Rocket

Post by adewsuisse » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:57 am

Just finished re-doing my pedalboard, "upgrading" it from a much used and battered PT-1 to make way for new pedals and moving to a Musiconlab/RJM Mini Amp Gizmo setup.

This is a TrailerTrash 28 x 16 board which originally came with a fabric covered base for velcro-ing pedals. I'm not a great fan of velcro - especially with heavy-ish pedals such as the Nova's and the HT-Dual, so I decided to replace the original base with 13mm chipboard to allow me to screw pedals to the board, and add access holes for power cables. I then covered the chipboard top surface with a sticky-back "metallic" plastic to try to tart the thing up... It seemed a good idea at the time, but next time I'll just get a panel with a suitable ready-made surface finish instead.

All signal cables are run on top and all power is run below the board. George L's cabling is used for all signal runs. I'm so crap with a soldering iron I had to go with a solderless solution...

Here's an upskirt shot (so to speak) showing the PP2 and Fuel Tank Chameleon. The latter is used to power the 12v DC Nova's and Providence Chrono Delay. The Blackstar has ridiculously large power requirements which neither the Fuel Tank or PP2 can handle, so I've kept its supplied wart. I also added a power strip (screwed to the TT metal frame) with a couple of metres of mains cable. The other wart in the strip powers the Musicomlab.

An important element of the design of the rig is that I have to accommodate two types of gigs - those with my own backline (Dual Rec), and those without. (Many of the small festivals here require bands to use supplied backline for quicker turnaround times. If it wasn't for the need to be flexible with the setup I wouldn't need all the OD/distortions boxes.)

A brief rundown of the board:
Top right - custom pedalboard interface from Casey Hanson (thanks mate, it's great!) with 5 jack pass-throughs and a MIDI pass-through. I'm using 4 pass-throughs: Guitar IN, Amp input, FX Loop Send, FX Loop Return, connected via a Pedalsnake, which also carries MIDI from the Musicomlab to the RJM MAG.

Loops 1-4 in front of Amp (generally only used if I'm not using my amp):
1. BB Pre-amp - for dirty cleans and pushing the other OD's / Dist boxes if necessary for solos.
2. Emma Reeza-whatever it's called - great for more metally, heavy, compressed distortion kind of sounds
3. Suhr Riot - for more Marshally flavours
4. Blackstar HT-Dual - I love this pedal and have had it since they first came out. Really flexible with two drive channels, works great with active p/ups as well as passives, and sounds great into a Fender Twin or equivalent. This is my go-to pedal for gigs where I can't use my amp.

Loops 5-8 in the FX loop:
5. Nova Modulator
6. Nova Delay (with space ready for the Younworks NT9 interface which is on order)
7. Providence Chrono Delay
8. Empty.

The RJM Mini Amp Gizmo and interface cable replaces the Dual Rec footswitch and is controlled from the Musicomlab. The latter has enough presets for what I need to handle the two types of setup (with or without my backline). For those who have never used this kind of device, they are much easier and more intuitive to setup than their user manual implies. I'm very happy with it.

(The image is just to show the RJM Gizmo - live I use the DR with a Rectifier 4x12 cab.)

As for sound quality - so far no noise, no hum, no nasty pops from the Musicomlab, etc. Yes, compared to a hard bypassed FX loop there is a tiny, tiny, almost imperceptible difference in tone, but it doesn't bother me at all. Once the drummer comes in all of this is fairly academic anyway...

Hope this long post wasn't too boring... :D

Shadow.Se7en
Mark I

Post by Shadow.Se7en » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Here's what I'm working with at the moment. I have the Wah, Super Comp, ZW OD and the Smartgate going through the front and the Black Label Chorus, EQ and the Carbon Copy through the loop.

I haven't tried using the chorus factory with this set up yet but it has a flanger setting, so I'm going to give it a try throught the loop. I didn't like the EVH Flanger throught the loop, it dropped my levels and in front it sounded really bad with a my dirty channel, through the clean it was ok, just ok.

I don't think I'm going to use the Micro Amp (not sure I need it, unless someone can suggest a use for it in either chain)and the EVH Flanger, so I'm getting rid of those two. If the chorus factory doesn't sound good, I'll be getting rid of that too.

I'm planning on adding a EWS lil' brute drive just get a different OD tone, and I also need a tuner, reverb and would like a Phaser........

I'll post pics as I update my pedal board. Any input is welcomed!!

S7 :twisted:

LSBAND.COM

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Mesa Boogie 4X12 Std Cab
Marshall 1960 4x12 Cab
Line 6 HD147
Charvel San Dimas
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG350 DX
Ibanez 321MH
ESP LTD GK500
ESP LTD GL600MT

Shadow.Se7en
Mark I

Post by Shadow.Se7en » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Ok, made some changes, added some stuff and here's what I'm working with now.

I changed out my wah pedal from the Ibanez Weeping Demon to the Morley GL Dragon 2. I also added the MXR Phaser. At first I had the phaser going through the loop and didn't like it so I put in front and it works perfectly for me.

I also did some mods on the pedal board itself. I added an outlet so I could plug in the DC brick and I added a master off/on rocker switch. I also moved the 9v plugs from the top of the board to the inside. Same thing with the loops it had on top. I moved four of the 1/4 jacks to the inside as well.

Still looking to get a reverb pedal and a tuner. I might still get a second OD pedal but not sure, I like the way things are sounding right now.

Any input welcomed!!

LSBAND.COM

Mesa Boogie 4X12 Std Cab
Marshall 1960 4x12 Cab
Line 6 HD147
Charvel San Dimas
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG350 DX
Ibanez 321MH
ESP LTD GK500
ESP LTD GL600MT

Jackie
Mark IV

Post by Jackie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:39 am

You know Shadow.Se7en I would ALMOST dare say you like MXR pedals :D
GUITARS: heavily modded Epi Goth Explorer; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier CV Tele
AMPS:Mesa/Boogie 2:90+TriAxis; Marshall JVM410H (modded); Marshall 1960A w/V30
FX:BOSS GT-6

Shadow.Se7en
Mark I

Post by Shadow.Se7en » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Jackie wrote:You know Shadow.Se7en I would ALMOST dare say you like MXR pedals :D

Hey Jackie!

No kidding huh? :lol: I actually went for an MXR solution because of their size. I wanted to consolidate all my pedals, including my amp footswitch on my pedalboard and I knew that eventually space would be an issue. These have worked out really good for me. Still need a few more and it should be a done deal!

LSBAND.COM

Mesa Boogie 4X12 Std Cab
Marshall 1960 4x12 Cab
Line 6 HD147
Charvel San Dimas
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG350 DX
Ibanez 321MH
ESP LTD GK500
ESP LTD GL600MT

MesaENGR412
Single Recto

Post by MesaENGR412 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 pm

New Pedalboard. Love it. Does everything, has a stereo effects loop and stereo in/outs, and it sounds great.

Plan on working with it and my VooDoo Control switchers to make the M13 change channels on the amp when I change scenes (video demo of RJM products doing this, so I know the VooDoo will do it as well). This will eliminate my need for the Rocktron MidiMate to change channels on my two heads simultaneously.

-AJH
Fractal Axe FX II MK II/GCP
Multiwatt Dual Rec Blackface/White tolex-EL34
Recto 4x12-C90/V30 x pattern, RK 2x12 - White Bronco/Black grille
Schecter SLS-FR/Hellraiser Extreme-FR/Blackjack C7-FR
Endorsements: Mesa Boogie/Schecter/Planet Waves/D'Addario

plumptone
Mark III

Post by plumptone » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Here's mine.
I feel a whole lot more like I do right now than I did before I got here.

benjamin801
Mark III

Post by benjamin801 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Wow, that's big, clean, and pretty. Awesome job. 8)

I'm a total minimalist by comparison, but it does sound really good. Here's my whole pedal board:

Shadow.Se7en
Mark I

Post by Shadow.Se7en » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Hey there!

That T.C. pedal board is nice! I'd like to downsize my board or have another setup as another option. What model is it?

Can you describe it a bit more?

Thanks!

LSBAND.COM

Mesa Boogie 4X12 Std Cab
Marshall 1960 4x12 Cab
Line 6 HD147
Charvel San Dimas
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG350 DX
Ibanez 321MH
ESP LTD GK500
ESP LTD GL600MT

benjamin801
Mark III

Post by benjamin801 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 am

If you're asking about mine, it's a TC Electronic Nova System. It's pretty versatile: you can use it in front of the amp or in the FX loop (but not both at the same time - no 4 cable method possible here). Since I rely on my Mesa's preamp for my basic tone, I run it in the loop, and it gives me reverb, delay, phase, chorus, pitch shift, etc. It also has a great tuner.

The cool thing is you can either put it in pedalboard mode, where each button acts like an individual pedal, or preset mode, where the buttons recall presets. That's what I do, and it allows me to go from my dry tone, to a lead tone with reverb, delay, and a 6db boost, all engaged with a single button.

The effects all sound great, and they're extremely customizable. Every imaginable parameter is programmable. It's not as fancy as the G-System, of course, but for my needs it's perfect, at a quarter of the price. :D

Geiri
Donating Member

Post by Geiri » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:46 pm

I really don't care to bother with individual pedals anymore so here's mine.Image

If the photo doesn't work it's a boss gt 10 I use via 4cbm with my ROV combo. Does everyhting I need and want. Sold my tc hall of fame and tc flashback cause I like this setup better.
Mesa ROV combo
Ibanez 1451 black
Ibanez 827 qm premium desert red
Boss gt 10
and it's cold in Iceland ; )

http://www.myspace.com/angist