PODxt Live into Rect_O_Verb Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jargapix

Reaction score
I've recently bought my first MESA after struggling between Marshall. I have a PODxt Live which I use to record and travel with, and tried to use it with my Rect.

I ran it straight into the input and had no problems. When I tried to run it through the effects loop though, Recto. was not having any of it. He started humming and not cooperating at all! ran the send & return into the POD and my guitar straight into amp. Tried 10% & 90%. Same

Any thought as to what it could be. I wanna be able to use the POD for the delays and chorus's as well as the wah and some distortions.

Thanks for the help.

JA

It's possible the jacks are dirty how old is the amp ?

I have heard of FX loops never getting used and then one day you go to use em and your amp appears to have died because the dirt or what not gets the contacts dirty, since the loop is in the chain the entire amp will seem as though it's not working.

no idea if this is your problem but I figured I would mention it.

Also did you switch the line out on the POD to line instead of amp ? I am pretty sure you want the direct line but cabs off in order to use it in a loop and make sure your amp (2X12 and so on) is configured properly as well not sure if this would cause a hum but it would definately not sound well.

I plan to put my XTL through my triples loop soon too so let me know how it goes for you and whether you get it sorted.

Dylan

I was told by Kris at MESA that you can run the XTL through the loop BUT only for the Time based effects...delay, phaser, flang etc.

He stated that all the rest would not work and make the amp make all kinds of strange noises! He was right!

I currently run it straight into the front and tweak the tone control and have no problems with any effects!

JA

First off, I'm new here but I am so so very glad I came accross this forum, MrDylan you helped me out a huge amount, I don't know why I realy didn't consider running my Pod XT live as direct out (switch on back of podxtl) but ran it as amp out an it sounded horrible. So now as D.I.
through the fx loop itssounding incredable,
SO, thank you for the great tip you saved me from getting rid of the pod, or mesa whichever ( i was really frustrated before ). ANyways, yea for just time based fx the pod xt through the fx loop on my Dual Rect sounds pretty awesome.

Now does any one have some mesa dual rect. presets they might share?

Godless said:
First off, I'm new here but I am so so very glad I came accross this forum, MrDylan you helped me out a huge amount, I don't know why I realy didn't consider running my Pod XT live as direct out (switch on back of podxtl) but ran it as amp out an it sounded horrible. So now as D.I.
through the fx loop itssounding incredable,
SO, thank you for the great tip you saved me from getting rid of the pod, or mesa whichever ( i was really frustrated before ). ANyways, yea for just time based fx the pod xt through the fx loop on my Dual Rect sounds pretty awesome.

Now does any one have some mesa dual rect. presets they might share?

No problem I am planning to try my XTL through the loop this weekend.

If I create or happen to find any usable presets I will share them so far I have been just using the Guitarport soft to find sounds similar to what I am looking for and then I will learn how to tweak em etc on the POD itself so far I have just used the software.

You can also bypass (for kicks) the Boogie's own preamp by running the POD XTL into the -return- of the amp's loop. I've done this with my Nomad 55 (long) head. Leave the send empty, unplugged. The return is the gateway to your amp's power stage.

This should bypass most or all of the amp's own controls, and allow you to control everything from the POD. The Boogie becomes the POD's power stage.

This gives you the option of using the XTL's amp models & distortion effects. If you don't want to take advantage of that, what's the point of the POD? In that case, you might want to set it for combo power amp, or stack power amp, rather than direct out. You'll also want to experiment with the cabinet models. Some of them sound better than bypassing, even though you're using a real cabinet.

The XTL is a little lacking in the juice department as a preamp, so I use a "middleman" pedal to boost its signal. Any clean boost will work. I have a Carl Martin compressor which gives me the added dynamics control, but any clean boost will work - a Boss EQ pedal for example, or a Digitech Bi-Fet (discontinued, but cheap on Ebay).

I also recommend Channel 6, which is Line 6's discussion board, for ideas.

Currently, I'm running the POD XTL > Alesis 3630 (rack compressor, for extra "juice") > Mesa 20/20 > 2 Thiele 1-12's (one EV, one Celestion 90). Nice.... **** nice!

I have tried other power amps: a 50/50 and a Mosvalve 962, and a Carvin DCM150. They all sound good enough, but the 20/20 is the best tone at lower levels (just shy of ear-splitting).

Regards

Anybody know how the GMajor compares to the PODxt?

As far as effects ofcourse. I've got a Rectoverb Head and while ditching some of my distortion pedals wondering if I should ditch the whole huge board for a single rack piece?

This is what I've got now (or atleast it looked like this until I had to tear things up to try to make the parallel effects loop work :x )

PC310245.jpg
[/img]

Back