MultiEffects unit for Roadking.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tavman

Reaction score
Looking for ideas on a good multieffects unit for a Roadking with 4x12 cab.

Really looking for something with **really** good delay and chorus. Pitch modulation etc not being so important.

Into almost all musical styles... Classical/Jazz/Fusion/Rock/Metal/Death so almost anything goes :)

Current gear:
Ibanez S series 540 Stock PU's (Would be receptive to Pickup suggestions for a switch)
Jackson Kelly Pro (SD Screaming Demon/Full Shred)
Jackson RR V (EMG 81/85's)
Alvarez AF60CK -- beautiful acoustic for a good price (check it out if can)

NEW -- Roadking head (Haven't been able to even turn it on yet :( )
On order -- Roadking 4x12 3/4 closed cab
Marshall VS265R

Johnson J-Station
Digitech RP-5

Ibanez G series bass

Tama Swingstar Fusion 5 pc set (ever notice meet a new drummer and he doesn't have drums?? Solved the problem)

Thanks!

Tavman,

I just ditched all my pedals (again), and decided to go back to the TC Electronic G-Major. The G-Major is actually a really sweet unit and with a little time and effort, can become quite transparent. You'll have to decide which loop you prefer, the parallel or serial...but it will be worth it. There are advantages of both loops, but it isn't as simple as plugging into one or the other. The easier way is to run it through the serial loop. I control it with a Behringer FCB1010 and I have just ordered the Axess Electronic GFX4. (That will enable easy switching of all 4 channels...and the tech guys at Mesa recommended that for the Road King.)

I love the delay on the G-Major as you can tweak YOUR sound...i.e., you can make the delay sound as digital or close to analog as you like. The delays (Dynamic, Dual, and Ping Pong) have EQ's in them so you can roll off or add highs/lows.

-Erik

I'm also looking into effects for my newly aquired RK. I'm wondering what the tradeoffs are between TC Electronic vs. multiple Boss pedals.

mloiaco said:
I'm also looking into effects for my newly aquired RK. I'm wondering what the tradeoffs are between TC Electronic vs. multiple Boss pedals.

mloiaco,

It depends on the app. I like having different delays for different applications. Rather than having more than one stomp box for delays, I have different patches. The other nice thing about the G-Major is that the effects "spill over" into each other so there isn't a huge noticable difference when going from one patch to another.

I'm not very good with midi programming, but the G-Major has a "learn" feature in it that makes working with the Behringer FCB1010 a breeze. I use one expression pedal as a solo boost, and the other as a control pedal for a whammy effect.

I don't use the footswitch for the Road King anymore as I have the Behringer and G-Major going through an Axess Electronic channel switcher. By doing this, I don't have to tap dance with effects anymore.

YMMV. :)

I still go the stompbox route with my RK. I only use the amp for overdrive and distortion, so my chain is: guitar--morley little alligator volume--morley bad horsie 2 wah---T.C. Electronics stereo chorus/flanger---modded MXR phase 90---Road King. I put my delays (Guyatone Micro Delay) in the loops...you need to decice which loop (series or parallel) sounds best for you. I had tried several multi effects in the loop for delays and chorus, but could not find anything to top the setup I use now.

RB

the gt8's amp channel switcher is sweet, and all the fx sound great, however
i think id still recommend the g major/fcb1010, that will give you
access to all 3 of your channels. the cfx4 is awesome.
i was thinkin you could put one loop in each channel of the g major,
then you have some serial fx and some paralell fx as well, and
tell the cfx4 which loop to turn on for which fx.
give it a shot.

I just picked up a G-Major and the FCB1010...I have no idea how to use MIDI and the Manuals are a little over my head. I've seen some Yahoo Forums that are specifically for these units. Do you know any otheres?

I've got a SR Solo 50, and it only has a Parallel Loop...I currently run the Major into the loop and set it at 90% with the input at about 6 oclock and the output all the way. Is this similar to anyone?

JA

To Erik:

Could you explain what your setup entails? Im not a expert with rack effects but I do have a basic understanding of midi. You are setup in such a way that through your berringer foot pedal you can program a channel (on the mesa boogie) with a preset from the fx unit, am I understanding you correctly? A generic example of what I am tryign to say:

Pressing 1 on footswitch = clean channel (from amp) + chorus(from FX)
Pressong 2 on footswitch = Distortion channel (from amp) + reverb (from FX)

And all of this done using the midi footswitch and not using the mesa boogie footswitch at all.

If this is the case could you explain how it works? I have a dual rec head (3 channel) and trying to get a rack unit setup where I dont have to use 2 pedals (the amp and fx footswitch). I am not sure how to go about this.

Thanks again.

Yes, bump this.......... i would like to know how your switching the channels on the boogis also......

Sorry, took me awhile to see this...

Here's how I have my Road King setup:

I run a G-Major in my loop (sometimes Parallel, sometimes Serial, depends on my mood). I use the Behringer to call up certain patches on the G-Major. Since the Road King is a 4 channel amp, with solo boosts and reverb, I also run an Axess Electronics CFX4 to switch channels for me. I programmed the G-Major's output at -4db, when I want to boost the signal for a solo, I use one of the Expression pedals. For example..

Pressing "1" on the Beringher calls up channel 1 on the Road King, Chorus and Reverb from the G-Major. Pressing "2" is the same, without the Chorus..."9" is channel 4 (Vintage High gain) with no effects...etc.

GuitarCarr and elpingua, this eliminates the need for the Road King Footswitch...I only use the Behringer. The Axess Electronics CFX4 is VERY simple to set up. You run the Behringer through the CFX4 into the G-Major. There are 4 output jacks from the CFX4 (1/4") that you plug into the various channels of your amp head. Call up a patch on the G-Major via your Behringer, then keep pressing the channel switching knob on the CFX4 until the appropriate channel comes on your amp...presto, your channels are now programmed into the Behringer.

FWIW, John Petrucci uses multiple CFX4's on his rig to controll his Road Kings.

Lemme know if this helps.

Erik

I almost didn't post this as I do not want to further muddy the waters (ouch - I wish I hadn't typed that) but I find the mod and delay effects in the Pod XT Live to be very nice. I do not use any of the modeling on my Lonestar Special - only th emodes, delays, comp, and some of the stomps (fuzz pi, classic dist, and killer z).

I have found this to work very well and it seriously cuts down on clutter. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back