A good modern Wah for the Rectos?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David.W

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good wah for the rectos?

Im leaning toward the Morley's due to their 'true bypass' and of course they have no pots to wear out. Also the Tremonti model (not that im a fan) has a gain boost. Any feedback on the Morley stuff would be great.

Im playing murkey/moody modern metal. Any pedal suggestions would be great,

Thanks,
David.

Most upper end wah's should do fine...

That being said, I just bagged my Dunlop Fasel for a Morley Bad Horsie II. I found that the Morley's seem to respond better to high gain than some of the vintage type stuff I've tried. On the other hand, if you run less gain or if you're playing clean...all bets are off.

I use a Dunlop ZW-45 and a Chicago Iron Parachute Wah....

The Chicago Iron has a huge sweep range, and a unique voice. Works great with high gain, but probably not what you're after if you're looking for a traditional wah sound.

The ZW-45 has a little narrower sweep range than the Classic w/Fasel or Jimi Hendrix. It's voiced for high gain lead use...where it works like a charm. The narrow sweep keeps it from getting piercing in the high end or muddy in the low end....but, if you're into clean stuff you should take a harder look at the Classic w/Fasel....it's a little more versitle than the ZW.

Thanks for the quick replies so far...

Erik I run channel 2 at about 2:00 for gain (modern). Its grainy but still pretty high gain. I dont do anything vintage. I like the Morleys for 3 reasons..

1-No pots, that optical gadget is brilliant.
2-Auto on/off with LED
3-True bypass

I just wanted to hear some experiences with Morley and Rectos, Ill definatley give the Bad Horsie a demo though, thanks alot for the suggestion.

Chicago Iron Parachute Wah?? Im gonna look into this, Ive not even heard of it, hahah what rock have I been under. But if you say its great for high gain, its test worthy. Cheers Screamingdaisy.

David,

No problem. I chose the Bad Horsie only due to the contour feature as it suits my feeble wah needs. :lol: (One song in my setlist requires it.) The contour feature was exactly what the doc ordered. The Tremonti wah is a REALLY good sounding wah...hopefully his work with Alter Bridge will distance his association with "the other band" and people will look past the stereotype. The Bad Horsie wah or the Tremonti could be exactly what you're looking for.

I LOVE being able to just step on the wah and have it engage...I used to struggle while trying to figure out if the wah was on or off on my Dunlop Fasel...the people in the front of the stage always knew, though!! (After watching blood coming from their ears, I usually got the hint.)

Again, IMO...the Morley's are one trick pony's but they do fulfill their trick pretty **** well. YMMV.

Chicago Iron Parachute... what an expensive wah!?!?! It looks like more of a compilation of a few effects and a wah..the web sound clips sounded weird to, not sure about that one, and for $380 (U.S.) as well...wow!! Still, intresting.

Im gonna demo that Bad Horsie II and also the Tremonti this week. I would like to demo the Chicago iron, but they seem like a rare find; bar web orders...

Erik do you know anyway I can remove the words "Mark Tremonti" from the wah without scratching the housing :D ??

Any other feedback is always welcome,
cheers,
David.

David.W said:
Chicago Iron Parachute... what an expensive wah!?!?! It looks like more of a compilation of a few effects and a wah..the web sound clips sounded weird to, not sure about that one, and for $380 (U.S.) as well...wow!! Still, intresting.

Yeah, the clips suck, but like I said; it's not your traditional sounding wah. ;)

Here's a better clip of what it sounds like;

http://home.cogeco.ca/~screamingdaisy1/Black%20Sabbath%20-%20Electric%20Funeral.mp3

But, again as I said....if you're looking for a traditional sounding wah, this isn't the one for you..... :) .....which also happens to be the reason I also use a Dunlop ZW wah.... ;)

The song rocks! Man I love Sabbath!!

The wah just dosnt jump out and say.."im worth $380 U.S." hahaha, Im in Canada, thats alot of wooden nickels and yellow snow to meet $380 U.S. trust me. That would be like $650.00(cdn) when it got to my door, mabye more. Thanks a ton for digging that out for me, at least I wont have any doubts when I look back.

I am going to demo the Zack wah as well, Im a bit dubious to buy Dunlop anymore though, Ive owned 2 originals and the pots get grainy or dirty sounding after a while. I find them tinny and weak sounding as well (the originals that is) Do you notice that??

Thanks,
David.

David.W said:
The song rocks! Man I love Sabbath!!

The wah just dosnt jump out and say.."im worth $380 U.S." hahaha, Im in Canada, thats alot of wooden nickels and yellow snow to meet $380 U.S. trust me. That would be like $650.00(cdn) when it got to my door, mabye more. Thanks a ton for digging that out for me, at least I wont have any doubts when I look back.

I am going to demo the Zack wah as well, Im a bit dubious to buy Dunlop anymore though, Ive owned 2 originals and the pots get grainy or dirty sounding after a while. I find them tinny and weak sounding as well (the originals that is) Do you notice that??

Thanks,
David.

I owned an Original (GCB-95) Crybaby for years. I had it plugged in for probably less than two hours the whole time I owned it. I finally gave it away to a friend who liked it. That about sums up my opinion of them....

Then I bought that ZW...I haven't unplugged it since. I had borrowed it from a shop to field test with my amp...I was originally going to run it for a few days, then swap for the Classic w/Fazel, then for a Vox wah. I never did swap...I bought it after two days of borrowing it. I donno if the others are actually better or not, nor do I really care as I'm quite happy with this one.

So, since you're going out and sampling, I'd suggest trying a Dunlop ZW, Classic w/Fazel, Jimi Hendrix, and a Vox. My friend who owns the shop thinks the Classic w/Fazel sounds better than the Vox, even though the Vox retails $50 more. Depending on your budget (and where you live), you should also check out any Teese wah you happen across, or a Fulltone if you see one. The Fulltone's are voice for a classic wah sound (ala' Jimi Hendrix). Teese makes a couple that're classically voiced, and some that are modern voiced, and one that's voiced specifically for humbuckers.

As for the CI Para wah....I paid $480CAD, shipped to my door. But yeah, I normally don't recommend them just because it is kind of a specialized sound.

As for the CI Para wah....I paid $480CAD, shipped to my door. But yeah, I normally don't recommend them just because it is kind of a specialized sound.

Ill give you $300 plus shipping.... :)

<P.S. Im in Manitoba.>

I've been pretty happy with my Dunlop, but I'm going to seriously look into the Chicago iron wah retrofit kit. Thanks for the tip!

group2.jpg

Geez man havnt you ever seen the show??

A Fasel is an Italian made choke that wasn't available for several years. The choke is the part that actually gives the wah its wah. There are two models. Red or yellow, depending on what wah they came in and what tone you are looking for. They are being made again, and they can be had for about $15 a piece + installation.

redmax61 said:
A Fasel is an Italian made choke that wasn't available for several years. The choke is the part that actually gives the wah its wah. There are two models. Red or yellow, depending on what wah they came in and what tone you are looking for. They are being made again, and they can be had for about $15 a piece + installation.
Alright, thanks.

So my anniversary is next week and my wife, knowing im wah hunting, decides to get me a wah. She paid close attention to the fact that I was Morley shopping. So 2 days ago Purolator shows up with this box, and inside it, a Morley Pro series II.

I jammed that night with it, 2 rubber feet where missing, the wah was weak, and I mean weak. Fully pressed and depressed just enveloped the treble, the actual effect was located right in the centre of the pedal movement. Very awkward to work with.

And to boot it wasnt switchless. The switch was located at the bottom right of the housing right next to the actual pedal, what a task to tap-on before placing your foot on the wah. You need taekwondo lessons before using this wah.

No sign of good by-pass either, my tone was altered in use and when not in use. Of course none of this is Morley's fault, I didnt get the wah I really wanted, but this particular model is awkward to engage and designed for elevator music. It just left with Purolator to be traded in for the Tremonti...which, after speaking with Morley over the phone, is supposed to be just what the David ordered. Proper bypass, obnoxious sweep, switchless, and great at high gain.

we'll see....

Latest posts

Back