Favorite Overdrive/Distortion pedal

Guitar and bass FX discussion

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Will
Bottle Rocket

Favorite Overdrive/Distortion pedal

Post by Will » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:53 am

What is your favorite overdrive/distortion pedal? And why?

Could be one you currently own, or that you've owned in the past.

Mine is a Rat that I picked up in the 90's.

riggles
Bottle Rocket

Re: Favorite Overdrive/Distortion pedal

Post by riggles » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:20 am

It took me a while to find a pedal I like for any amount of time. Mostly because I prefer amp distortion. But eventually I tried a Klon style pedal and I think that works best. I have the Mythical Overdrive. Each amp responds differently to it, but I always like how it makes the amp sound. I use it as a boost - gain low and level up.
Mark III (red stripe)
Mark IV B
Electra Dyne
--------------------
rackmount FTW

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am

Rat and Fulltone Fulldrive.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Don
Single Recto

Post by Don » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:02 am

Prince of Tone and Rat.

Will
Bottle Rocket

Post by Will » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:11 pm

I'm kind of amazed (but, then, in a way, not really) that both Don and Stephen share my feelings about the Rat, considering the slew of boutique/expensive pedals out there. But like many things in life, price is not always an accurate indicator. I found that out with the JHS AT (IMO) and returned it straight away. Philip McNight did a review (really an expose) on it on YouTube, showing how they use cheap parts. Certainly no hand-wiring either, for your 220 pictures of George Washington. For essentially the same price, I got a Boss Katana 50, which offers so much. Oh well, not really surprising: Boss = Roland = quality & value. And, the Katana has some very respectable higher gain tones in its own right.

Don
Single Recto

Post by Don » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Will wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:11 pm
I'm kind of amazed (but, then, in a way, not really) that both Don and Stephen share my feelings about the Rat, considering the slew of boutique/expensive pedals out there.
I've always liked Rats and have had several, but last fall I bought a mid '80s blackface Rat that blew me away. I bought it, along with an old DOD FX90 analog delay, for $50!

It's got a nice Marshall like rock sound when used in front of a clean Fenderish amp (including Mesas). I sold a few pedals after finding this one.

stephen sawall
Single Recto

Post by stephen sawall » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:03 am

The RAT (Vintage Big Box) I'm using these days I bought new over twenty years ago. First time I used one was in 1981 with a JCM 800. I have always loved the RAT. Probably my favorite MESA to use with the RAT is my Heartbreaker. It just sounds amazement with this amp...EL34 or 6L6.
The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.