What kind of music do you do?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind/genre of music do you do?

• Soft rock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard rock

• Punk

• Metal

• Ska or Reggae

• Country

• Blues

• Jazz

• Popular radio...stuff!

• Total voters

cellardweller

Reaction score
Just curious what kind of music you all do with your boogies.

If you don't mind, please give "sounds-likes".....

Also, if you don't mind; what have you tried?
What's worked well for your style?
What hasn't worked well for your style?

I currently have a Single recto solo 50 head (LOVE IT!), and we're doing a kinda hard-rock/metal...

What's that smell?
Is that a poll I smell?
You betcha :lol: !

my band plays death metal fused with thrash metal so i use it mainly for that. when i practice i ocassionalyl play some jazz and blues, and some experimental ****. but 90 percent of the time its for death metal

what have i tired? well at first i started out with a marshall MG15, then i movied onto a 1970's SS radio amp hooked up to two 1x8" cabs, then that same amp hooked up to two 2x8's then that amp hooked up to those two 1x'8 AND the two 2x8's. Then i got my behringer cab so i ran the MG thru the cab, then i gto the boogie so i run my dual rec thru my behringer BG412H (id prefer a marshall 1960A, but im too poor to afford that right now-no job)
BUT i still love the sound i get. i use a beheringer xvamp for fx and an OD booster and worsks extremly well

Yep, I hear ya!
My single rec makes my tired-old peavey cab sing even!
I'm leaning towards buying another avatar 2x12 soon though....

Oh yeah~ Previously I was using an Ampeg 120 watt combo (tube). Before that was an odd assortment of inherited/second-hand bought amps, just after having my old Carvin head stolen....
Needless to say, my solo 50 I consider my first "real" amp!

I don't think I've even SEEN a 2x8" cab before!

What was the 70's SS amp you were using? Sounds like the boogie was a big step up for you, as it was for me!

I voted jazz, because that's what I play on the one hand.
On the other hand I play instrumental post-rock. Influences are bands like Mono, Mogwai, Tortoise, Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Pinweaver said:
On the other hand I play instrumental post-rock. Influences are bands like Mono, Mogwai, Tortoise, Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
Wow! I'd never actually heard Mogwai before...pretty cool stuff!

I'm going to finish listening to the samples on their website, and then I might swing through the local CD joint on the way home and pick one up.

Recommendations?

cellardweller said:
Recommendations?
If I have to choose, I go for either the Happy Songs For Happy People or Come On Die Young albums, but I don't really have a favourite. I like them all really.

make a triangle with older Tool in one corner, post-"Oceanic" Isis in another, and Sigur Ros in another. I'm shooting for somewhere in the middle.

Most of my learning the past few years has been in the studio; I had plenty of live experience before that. Biggest lesson I have learned is "when recording, heavy does not necessarily equal huge distortion." I rarely use the "modern" setting on my rec pre and often have the master up higher than the gain. Second thing I have learned recently, and this was right from my rec pre, is that it's really good to be able to nail the same take over and over again with identical phrasing. That way, you don't have to worry about missing a magic moment because you didn't write down the exact position of every knob.

I also play live in an indie/electroclash band (think ladytron/metric) that are lame and derivative. I'm there because it's more practice time and I'm planning to steal the drummer. so obviously I'm not gonna link to their myspace. Don't use my boogie for that, just a pedalboard and a roland combo.

Hi there I play mainly prog. rock Like Dream theater and rush etc as well as instrumental rock...you know who I mean.My band fuse together all styles and have a unique sound all of our own!!!!!!
I am a very ecclectic guitarist because I try my hand at literally every style.
I see there is a lot of questions about the band Mogwai.They are a band formed in Glasgow(scotland) and are mainly instrumental post rock as a matter of fact my band has a guy managing us who is credited as playing with Mogwai and is very very good mates with them...He also played in a band called Adorable in the 90's and several other "big" signed bands.

see yah

Euan

ohhhh Mogwai also use mesa dual rec roadking 2x12" combo's in the studio as well as lots of other amps but thought id put that in as this is the boogie board

i play stuff like underoath, silverstein, and thirteen yards to victory

stuff that has breakdowns.

for great guitar moments I like Mogwai's Peel Sessions disc.

so, anyone else in here in a band they don't really like because (pick one or more):

a) they're your friends
b) it pays some bills
c) can't find another band
d) playing live's fun anyway
e) other reason...?

I would never play in A band I didnt like,The music I make is my heart and soul and even I f I was in a covers band for extra cash I would still put 300% in behind it to carefully reproduce the artists music cause their heart ans soul whent into that composition.I think you can totally tell when there are members of bands who arnt enjoying themeselves and it is also conveyed to you as an audience member as well...anyone agree or Am I just getting touch as a music buff!!!!!sorry If Iam

i agree with mesanomad, but it happened to me that some friends of mine asked me to play bass in their punkrock band. Well, i had never played bass, and i wasn't into punkrock anymore since the really first years of guitar playing, but it seemed to me a quite funny thing to learn playing the bass, so i accepted (they already had both bass and amp to make me play). So, i do not enjoy that kind of music so much, but playing bass is a sort of experiment for me, and at the moment i'm still enjoying playing it and i'm still into that band. Maybe one day i will become quite skilled at playing bass and i will leave the band but who knows. However i have another band in which i play guitar and i play rock/metal.

cellardweller said:
Soft rock
Hard rock
Punk
Metal
Ska or Reggae
Country
Blues
Jazz
Popular radio...stuff!
Five of the nine listed. Plus more on the acoustic. I can't pick just one, I think that would make life rather boring.

t0aj15 said:
cellardweller said:
Soft rock
Hard rock
Punk
Metal
Ska or Reggae
Country
Blues
Jazz
Popular radio...stuff!
Five of the nine listed. Plus more on the acoustic. I can't pick just one, I think that would make life rather boring.
Yeah, sorry 'bout that.
The "other (please explain)" option didn't show up....

Latest posts

Back