What's more important in shaping your sound, the amp or gtr?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regotheamigo

Reaction score
I have about 3500 to spend on either a great sounding amp or a kick *** guitar, and just wanted peoples opinon on which one they think is more important to have in getting great tone. I already have some cool gear such as the Lone Star head by Mesa Boogie, a Eric Johnson Strat, a couple of other strats, and a nice tele with Semyour Duncan pickups. The sound I get out of my Lonestar with the various guitars is cool, but it isnt really geared towards lead playing. I can get cool, blues rock tones, such as The Cream, or SRV, but if I want to wail like Eric Johnson, or Steve Vai, it lacks sustain. I already have a amp that can sing, now I just need one that can scream? On the other hand maybe I just need a guitar that can handle what I am looking for? I dont know, what is your take on this? THANKS

a decent guitar through a kick *** amp will sound better than an amazing guitar through a lesser amp. IMO if i were you id put more money into the amp.

Does it have to be one or the other? Why don't you just split the money down the middle? As a matter of fact, I know of a place here locally where you can get a fantastic amp for an even better price.

if you've got good humbuckers, and your going to be pushing it into a high-gain style amp, the type of guitar wont have near as much effect as the type of high-gain amp it is. obviously a fat-strat is not going to sound the same as a les paul, but if you were to put similare pickups in it, and you were in a live situation with the same amp, the difference in tone would be negligible. now...style, playability, that hwole thing is a differnt story. if you like you guitars, invest in a better amp, youll get more variety in tone for your buck.

Latest posts

Back