Using a different amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
My band played an open mic and I was forced to use the amp they had there I am still still suffering PTSD!!! The fellow that ran the show said I had to use his Marshall DSL 40 and could not touch any of the knobs as it was "dialed in" and said I had a clean channel and a dirty channel. What a mess, I told him if he played my amp he would throw his gear out and I'm not kidding. My band told me to suck it up and just use it but 10 seconds into the first song they were looking at me with a horrified look. Where was the guitar player that knows how to play and has tone up the butt-kick, sustaining feedback, total control of three different channels with a lead boost? I posted something on The Gear Page, the tan pant gang shot it down telling me I'm a snowflake and that the Marshall DSL is a good amp - idiots all of them tan pant wearers.
My band is now behind me 100% and they understand I play an amplifier, not so much a guitar, and I'm a performer and entertainer first but without my tone and the control I get through the JP2C, it's impossible! I might as will just crawl into a hole because that's where I felt like I wanted to be, the crowd loved it but God, I could've treated them to something special like I do every other crowd.

Why even play guitar if tone doesn't matter? Reading the responses on The Gear Page made me think I'm the only person alive it gives a blank about what the crowd's hearing and how magical an electric guitar can sound when played right. That Marshall amp was as bad as a 9 V clip on Marshall amp it was plain old terrible terrible!

Sometimes standing alone for what you believe in is all that you have!

Grailtone or DIE!!!!

If I'm told that I have to use a backline amp the knobs are fair game.

The Marshall DSL is a good amp... so long as you want to sound like you're playing through a DSL.

Markedman said:
The gear page version of this is viral.

The TGP version of this is probably telling you all you need is a distortion pedal so that you can backline any amp and always get your sound....

...and that the JP2C has too many knobs.

TGP is not the most empathetic website on the internet. They have a pretty good classified section though.

Perhaps you could have asked the owner of the Marshall to turn the knobs for you? If you were not allowed to touch them, that would have been a solution. 8)

What a brutal thread on TGP! TGPer's went ballistic on me! It all ended after I called someone an idiot when he went into great detail on how I made up a story about playing Woodstock. When I pulled up a web page (2 seconds) showing him proof, poof went the thread.

They knocked Boogie, but didn't say what they played, knocked my tone but didn't provide sound clips or video, whereas I posted a bunch. (My tone is MMMMM good, I have proof for all to hear) Ridiculed me for caring about 50 years of playing and 4 1/2 years refining my Boogie tone as if it didn't matter. I even challenged the whole site to a solo contest at any local bar I was so fed up with the crap I was taking. But I actually loved it! No secret I'm different but it showed me how passionate I am about Boogie amps, I endorse Boogie, they don't endorse me! To have to use an amp that isn't a Boogie is something I love to do but when I can't turn the knobs to get a decent tone, I suffered and so did the crowd.

No big deal, but I now know that having to use the house amp is sometimes the rule now. I'm glad I don't play open mics ever. Sit around, listening to the most awful crap and getting up for 3 songs. No. Can't do it. I don't like alcohol so getting pissed is not an option and the later the night gets, ......

I'll be staying off that TGP site also. My first post was copied from this site word for word. The TGPer's never really read what I said and went straight to the jugular, over and over. I thought for sure 9 out of 10 responses would have been about other horror story open mics like playing through keyboard amps or amps that cut in and out during leads. Most responses where "suck it up" or "I can play through anything, whimp" thinking I made a stink, which I didn't.

I tried playing my buddy's First Act acoustic the other day, sure I could do 12 bar blues but The Rain Song, not happening with that non-intonated, strings at least a 1/2" off the fretboard excuse for a guitar. I'm sure any TGPer could play like Tommy Emmanual on that git-box.

I have a pedalboard setup for just such a situation...... I use a Wampler Dracarys for my distorted tone. Works great in a pinch for backlined shows.

https://www.wamplerpedals.com/dracarys-distortion

With that said, nothing compares to my Roadster.

Yeah, don't get me started with TGP and some of those trolls. - Although, yes, I heard the buying & selling bulletin board is great, most prices are under or at least fair market prices.

I don't understand some of those trolls on TGP. Its like they get-off on telling someone how crappy their gear are yet they don't post their video clips about what is good tone they strive for. Its like they're the ones on YouTube that gives "thumbs down" on cute puppies or kittens. What's up with that? They must live a miserable life or something.

Talking about open mic, yeah, its tough if you are not familiar with the gear supplied there. I played twice, the best tone I was getting was from my Fishman Transducer / battery preamp plugged directly into the board. There was no 'house amp". So next performance I'm bring my own small amp that I'm familiar with.

Never understood why anyone that actually PLAYS their instruments ventures over to TGP unless you are trying to be a troll. Bunch of wankers with more money than sense.

To the OP, If I am told I cannot touch an amp that is being back lined I do it anyways. I tell the guy I will put it back to the way I found it. The reason that sound guy said that to you is because 1, He was forced to use his gear once he showed up to the venue due to the promoter not providing it. 2, He doesnt want a bunch of people potentially breaking his gear. See first reason. 3, He isn't the greatest sound guy to begin with and is being lazy. He dialed in something he could work with and anything different removes him from his comfort zone. 4, He is just an *******.

When you are faced with using a provided back line, Always ask the promoter if you can bring your amp and their cabinets. The Promoter is the show boss not the sound man. Always be polite to Show staff, even if they are difficult. Show professional courtesy even when they aren't, People will remember you for that. Don't sweat not being able to use your own amp. Ask the amp owner politely if you can dial in something that will work for you, or ask if they can turn knobs for you if they say no.(then spend a good ten minutes having them twist knobs even if the person dials it in within 30 seconds, to be honest Sound Guys are trying to play a dominance game when they try and tell you to not touch an amp, or change your settings. Don't play their game).

Latest posts

Back