The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gotta have volume!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:09 am 
Donating Member

One equation that is forgotten and sometimes overlooked when analyzing an amp's tone is plain old volume. A lunch box amp at bedroom volume will not feed forward enough sound through the guitar pick-ups to attain natural sustain and the touch sensitivity that you get at stage volume. The amp's true potential is realized once you've experienced it in a live setting. If you don't perform or jam with other musicians, I can understand how a modeling amp or 5 watt settings would thrill you and reading what I've written in this post would sound confusing but it seems to be a very overlooked variable when talking about an amp's tone.
Mark amps, including the JP2C, are made with performance in mind so when analyzing them at low volume, a disservice in being done when it causes the operator to conclude, "I have regrets in purchasing the Mark series amp!"

Post subject: Re: Gotta have volume!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:47 pm 
Mark III

Which is why a slant 2x12 or 4x12 is important as well, or tilting back your combo. Projection adds a lot to sustain and sensitivity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:16 am 
Mark III

Someone should make this fact known to most sound men at venues. Some of these places are running 20,000 watt systems and want everyone to use bedroom volume on stage. I never got that. Can you turn down, you're overloading my mics and can't balance the guitars with the drums and bass. Uh no turn the guitar mics down in the mix and blend the drums and bass into the stage amp volume amps. It's not as if the guitar amps are wide open at 1960s era arena volume.

Ibanez RG560
BC Rich Beast (Fully Understand it's namesake now)

"Efficiunt Daemones, ut quae non sunt, sic tamen quasi sint, conspicienda hominibus exhibeant." - Lactantius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:32 am 
Bottle Rocket

bjorn218 wrote:
Someone should make this fact known to most sound men at venues. Some of these places are running 20,000 watt systems and want everyone to use bedroom volume on stage. I never got that. Can you turn down, you're overloading my mics and can't balance the guitars with the drums and bass. Uh no turn the guitar mics down in the mix and blend the drums and bass into the stage amp volume amps.

Never trust the sound guy!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: